Podcast centered around slip joint making/traditional knife history - The Catch Bit Show

It would be good to see this Thread continue after the Catch Bit having a Hiatus, What a fantastic start off with Jason, Mike and Neal with this show. This Thread has a little too much History as it was from the Starting off period.

With Jason literally having two businesses and a young Family, I know as most of us do the commitments and time that a young Family needs and really hope that Jason can come in as a Special guest with some of his works and new ventures in the time that he has had in his Workshop.

Really looking forward to the next guest - it will be awesome! It will be great hearing Neals and Mikes voice again, with a tinge of sadness we wont hear Jasons, it was good to kind of "get to know" Jason that we did with him being involved in Catch Bits first phase.

Well done to all involved, and a massive thank you.
I just listened to the latest episode. Glad to have the guys back!

-- Mark

I havent the chance yet, I will do so either tomorrow - or Wednesday when I am driving for a while - Excited!

A massive Thank you to all - like Mark said ^, Great to have the guys back!

Awesome.
Nice to hear the voices of Neal and Mike again!
Back in the saddle looking out at the Mountains— life sounds good for Mike - it was really interesting hearing about the shift and the new homestead Mike.
Good to hear Neal too with his completion of renovations at home and playing dodgems with a Buck in his new Truck.

Sounds like the lads dropped a hint Charlie will be back - this will be cool. 😎

Great work guys hope to hear Jason’s voice as a guest soon.

Check out the Thread by Herder that he posted about having our very own Glenn Bad on the podcast.

Fantastic to hear Glenn being interviewed by Mike and Neal.
Those of you whom roam through Bladeforums lands should check this out!
Once again- interesting discussions with a few laughs along the way.
Interesting to hear about Jason no longer making Knives - and that he had most probably patented a Tactical Spoon. 😂
Thanks guys and can’t wait for the next one. 👍👍

Last edited:
I listened to episode 40 the other day with the two usual suspects Mike and Neal, and their guest from Traditional Pocket Knives.com Austin Jackson.

I love listening to podcasts when I have to do a lot of driving for my job, or when I am at home working on the House - and this one here was really interesting hearing things from another view point from someone who deals with GEC, and of course has that relationship with Bill, so if you like the GEC Knives or Traditionals which I am figuring that's why your here- this is a real neat listen.

Thanks again both Mike and Neal for this great thing we have, I am being totally selfish by saying I just want more - I am replaying Glens again this morning while attacking my Lounge.

I quite like going back to earlier episodes and having a re-listen, I was laughing yesterday coming back home- a few hours drive always the time for podcasts, It was "The Death of a Cricket" Jason is funny there. Nice work again guys.

I really enjoyed the latest episode on whittlers!
I quite like going back to earlier episodes and having a re-listen, I was laughing yesterday coming back home- a few hours drive always the time for podcasts, It was "The Death of a Cricket" Jason is funny there. Nice work again guys.
Me too, on both counts!! Great listening!!

There's simply nothing else like it. Informative, educational, hilarious, great guests... What more could you ask for? Unless I'm missing some, I would say the greatest show (audio or video) about traditional knives in existence.

I too enjoy going back and listening to older episodes. And always look forward to more!!

I love knives, but honestly, I'm not the best student of the history. I deeply appreciate those like Neal, Duncan, etc, that have taken the time to compile and preserve this history.

As we see already, there are many historical informational gaps in the early days of knife manufacturing. I guess people were more concerned with getting the knives out than keeping good records.

So these podcasts are both entertaining and informative!

Thanks Enactive, meako, mnblade, Duncan, Glenn, Charlie, and Lithicus, we sure appreciate your support and nice comments.
I'm happy to say that we have some more great guests coming up in the next few weeks.
No ads or revenue from this podcast, just a couple of guys who enjoy knives and knife friends as much as everyone else here. :)

Just waking up this Thread, I am sure there's a huge audience in comparisons to people who post in here, I just wanted to say that it was excellent to hear Rhidian back to talk to Mike and Neal.
From the small amount of time that we have seen Rhidian on the scene, he is one VERY talented individual, Charlie ( please correct me if I am mistaken here folks ) is the guy who introduced Rhidian's work to us, and from at least my perspective Rhidian caught a Wave and has really screamed ahead, although in saying this most certainly not ignoring Rhidian's Knife Making and Artistic talents are of course that took him up on that Wave- keep riding that Wave Rhidian.

Then I have literally come in from the garage listening to the latest episode- and as Neal and Mike said- THE most popular guest returns - Mr. Charlie Campagna, man..... it's so neat just listening to these extremely knowledgeable guys having a good Ol Chin wag about what may be one of their 5 most popular Knives- and the discussions that come with that Knife, now who of us wouldn't find this entertaining!

Very Cool Show, Thank you to all on the air in there.

Kudos on the latest episode. Always fun to hear Charlie on there. :thumbsup: With all the talk about favorite knives, I'm wondering what everyone on the show carries on a day-in/day-out basis. Something they've made? A vintage gem from a long-gone manufacturer? Some beater yellow-handled Case? Inquiring minds wanna know!

-- Mark

Kudos on the latest episode. Always fun to hear Charlie on there. :thumbsup: With all the talk about favorite knives, I'm wondering what everyone on the show carries on a day-in/day-out basis. Something they've made? A vintage gem from a long-gone manufacturer? Some beater yellow-handled Case? Inquiring minds wanna know!

-- Mark
Thanks for enjoying that great podcast, Mark!! I enjoy it also!!!
FYI, I have carried my "Old Boiley" TC Barlow, most of the time since 2012, when they started in production!!!

H herder & Mike: You are both so cool, and reasonable; I find it hard to realize you let my hyperbolic self into your company, Guys!! Thanks Neal and Mike , for having me on your show!! I am honored!!!
It's a lot of fun to talk knives, and to learn so much every time!!

Thanks for enjoying that great podcast, Mark!! I enjoy it also!!!
FYI, I have carried my "Old Boiley" TC Barlow, most of the time since 2012, when they started in production!!!
I've been catching up! I marked the latest as a favorite and will tune in soon! I can't wait!

It is a shame that there are no visuals
I agree; it would make a nice Youtube, but it would be a lot more work for the hosts!!!

Here are some of the knives we talked about:
1 - 3rd cut Stag
2 - T.Ellin, inspiration for same
3 - Joseph Rodgers Lamb
4 - Waynorth Lamb
5 - Arkansas LB Hunter original
6 - Ken Erickson version

March 24.jpg

Back