Post your, “Well, that was dumb…” stories

bluemax_1

Gold Member
At Cwilliams563 Cwilliams563 ’s suggestion, here’s a thread to share your, “Well, that was dumb…”/“Well, I’m a dumbass…” stories.

Inspired by my recent post:

In today’s episode of, “Well… I’m a dumbass…”

The Magnacut RSK was delivered today, aaaand I promptly cut myself by being a moron.

Was checking it out and wanted to check the lockup/blade play, and held it in a stupid way, AND didn’t account for the fact that they oiled the blade. 🙄

About a 3/4 cm cut, fortunately didn’t cut anything important, but it’s probably going to put a damper on lifting for the next few days.
To clarify my stupidity, instead of pinching from the spine of the blade, I pinched the blade from the edge side.

“No side-to-side play. Good…”, then I pushed down hard, and the oiled blade slipped right through the pinch grip, as the tip smacked into the lifting callus below the ring finger of my left hand.

The callus probably helped avoid anything worse, because the tip hit with some force.

Yep, first thought, “You dumbass…”. Figured I might as well drive the lesson home by sanitizing the cut with alcohol 😅

Last edited:
One of my most memorable times I cut myself was in the mid 90’s while in the Mall. There was a new Benchmade liner lock folder (can’t remember the model) that I had my eye on and wanted to try it out. The guy proceeded to hand me the knife and he went straight to the back for some reason.

It had a round blade hole, and there was no hand guard or anything between the blade and handle. The liner lock basically transitioned right into the back of the serrated blade. Horrible design, I soon realized lol.

As I was flipping it open and closing it one handed, my thumb slid forward on the liner lock and right across the serrated blade edge. I immediately knew I messed up. As I looked down there was blood pouring from my thumb and dripping down the blade of the knife all over the floor. I cupped my hands together to try and stop the bleeding.

The guy comes running out and says “what happened”??? I told him I cut myself. The dude yells, “well don’t bleed all over the floor”! His response shocked me, and I yelled back “I’m trying not to”! He goes and gets me a paper towel, and I feel like such a dumb ass at this point. I put the knife on the glass top case and told him that’s the one I was wanting to get at some point, but didn’t buy from him that day. I proceeded to leave the store with my head hung pretty low. Luckily it was just him, me, and a buddy in there when it happened.

Last edited:
One of my most memorable times I cut myself was in the mid 90’s while in the Mall. There was a new Benchmade liner lock folder (can’t remember the model) that I had my eye on and wanted to try it out. The guy proceeded to hand me the knife and he in the back for some reason.

It had a round blade hole, and there was no hand guard or anything between the blade and handle. The liner lock basically transitioned right into the back of the serrated blade. Horrible design, I soon realized lol.

As I was flipping it open and closing it one handed, my thumb slid forward on the liner lock and right across the serrated blade edge. I immediately knew I messed up. As I looked down there was blood pouring from my thumb and dripping down the blade of the knife all over the floor. I cupped my hands together to try and stop the bleeding.

The guy comes running out and says “what happened”??? I told him I cut myself. The dude yells, “well don’t bleed all over the floor”! His response shocked me, and I yelled back “I’m trying not to”! He goes and gets me a paper towel, and I feel like such a dumb ass at this point. I put the knife on the glass top case and told him that’s the one I want. I proceeded to leave the store with my head hung pretty low haha.

Dang dude that sucks. Did you actually want it or bought it cause you felt you had to?

At Cwilliams563 Cwilliams563 ’s suggestion, here’s a thread to share your, “Well, that was dumb…”/“Well, I’m a dumbass…” stories.

Inspired by my recent post:

To clarify my stupidity, instead of pinching from the spine of the blade, I pinched the blade from the edge side.

“No side-to-side play. Good…”, then I pushed down hard, and the oiled blade slipped right through the pinch grip, as the tip smacked into the lifting callus below the ring finger of my left hand.

The callus probably helped avoid anything worse, because the tip hit with some force.

Yep, first thought, “You dumbass…”. Figured I might as well drive the lesson home by sanitizing the cut with alcohol 😅
I had one of these, it was SHARP. Nipped me a time or two being incautious as well!

I had a mental image of a bunch of CPK'ers going over the statute of limitations- disappointed to see only knife cutting stories. Blues Blues Is always dependable for a hair raising one
"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

Okay, here's one...

Back when I was young and dumb and full of...

...well, anyway...we were doing a controlled delivery of a large amount of narcotics which we had seized after we arrested mope #1 with the load.

Flipped him and got him to cooperate, which entailed calling mope #2 to come to his location and pick up the load.

I had two other agents with me from DEA and Customs who I sent upstairs in the residence and I got in one of those little broom closets built in under the stairs to the second level with my shotgun.

So, mope #2 eventually arrives and we go to radio silence and I can hear them conversing in Spanish, which I was pretty fluent in...but what I don't know is whether or not mope #1 is telegraphing anything to mope #2 by looks, pointing, eye gestures or whatever...and the other two agents are upstairs with no visual either...waiting for the deal to go down. What could go wrong?

I hear some footsteps walking back and forth outside my location and eventually the door to the closet is pulled open and mope #2 is standing there with a very wide-eyed look as he is greeted with an 870 pointed at his face. Fortunately, he neither had a gun in his hand nor attempted to grab the shotgun. He gave up without a struggle.

So many things could have gone wrong that I won't even begin to enumerate them...but we got the bad guys and the load. (If any of you have read Jim Cirillo's "Tales of the Stakeout Squad" you'll have read of similar events, warts and all.)

It was definitely a "there but for the grace of God" moment...or Darwin Award finalist.

(We ended up flipping the same load several times that day, including another "interesting" event later on that evening at the Embassy Suites in Miami.)

I was at home one afternoon cleaning up the head of this tomahawk I had purchased from "Ragnar's Ragweed Forge" years ago...when my wife walked in the door from work.

I looked up to say "hi", and hadn't stopped the motion of wiping down the hawk, which led to me immediately saying, "I'll see you when I get back from the doctor's office".

Got 15 stitches in the back of my right thumb, from the nail down to and over the joint.

DadleyHawk3_001.jpg

I can go on...

(Sadly.)

This one got me for 13 stitches total in my right ring finger and pinky...(trying to protect the dog as it slipped the scabbard).

Valiant Golok.jpg

You get the idea. (But I have more if you're bored...)

From many years of changing camera lenses in the field (hobby), I learned to catch stuff with my foot before it hits the ground … including knives it turns out. :(

I would post mine (a picture, going straight into the top of the foot), but in honor of Blues Blues , I will withhold all pictures.

I was sitting too, sharpening it outside, got distracted, so only maybe a 15” fall, tip down of course. Went through 3 layers of pants and a heavy sock before embedding itself.

Lesson learned, wear leather boots.

Back