Post your, “Well, that was dumb…” stories

From many years of changing camera lenses in the field (hobby), I learned to catch stuff with my foot before it hits the ground … including knives it turns out. :(
I’ve caught lots of things with hands or feet when they fell.

Knock on wood, that I keep up my streak of instinctively doing the, “Get outta the way!” dance with my feet, when I’ve dropped sharp things.

The one time I ever got knifed by someone...I tried to block with my left hand rather than step back.

That stupidity cost me a dozen stitches in my left index finger.

Live and learn.

What’s your estimated total tally of stitches from unintentional contact with sharp things?

I think I have about 55 stitches in the aggregate between my two hands. (About 15 of those were from a fall several years ago while chasing my dog on a gravel road. Tore my hands up good at the base of the palms.) About 40 from blades all told, 28 of which were user error as a result of two incidents...the golok slipping the scabbard...and cleaning up the 'hawk head. The other 12 came from an encounter with a ne'er-do-well.

Nate’s 10mm socket post and the responding posts reminded me of another one.

Back in my younger and dumber days, I was trying to replace a crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer on the car at night, after work, in an unheated garage in the middle of Winter at -12f.

Couldn’t see the bolts and nuts I had to access, so I had to work solely by feel, which pretty much nixed the use of any gloves with any decent insulating abilities (so I didn’t use any at all).

Well, a car that’s been sitting in an unheated garage at -12f, is pretty much at ambient temperature. Cold metal sucks the heat out of your hands VERY quickly (so does -12f air, but the conduction works even quicker).

What I discovered, was that in those conditions, I had about 15 - 30 seconds to do anything before my hands got so numb that I couldn’t feel anything, whereupon it took about 5 minutes tucked into my armpits to warm them up enough to regain feeling, and I would race to do what I could in the next 15 - 30 seconds before I lost feeling in my hands again.

What would’ve probably been done in 15 minutes in warm weather, maybe 30 minutes tops, took about 5 - 6 hours.

I should’ve just gone and bought a propane heater like a Buddy or Big Buddy heater to warm up the garage first.

The result was that my hands were so chapped from the cold exposure, the skin was chapped and cracked for over a MONTH, and I got to try almost EVERY type of cream and lotion on the shelves at the local pharmacy. My hands burned on contact with warm water, and would sting when in contact with soap or shampoo.

Neosporin didn’t help. None of the balms, creams or lotions worked. As mentioned, I bought one of everything on the shelves, and began using different ones for 3 days, on each hand. If there was no improvement after 3 days, I’d move to the next product .

What worked, was Psoriasin gel. Felt a noticeable difference in the hand I was using it on within the first 2 days. By the 3rd day, the one hand was significantly better, while the other hand was still severely chapped (over a month by that time), so I switched the other hand to using the Psoriasin gel as well, and again, noticed improvement within a couple days, and a significant difference by the 3rd.

The end result of that episode of stupidity, is that ever since then, my hands have been far more sensitive to the cold.

Before that night, I could, and often did clear off the snow on my vehicles without donning gloves, with no ill effects. Ever since then, trying that would result in chapped, cracked hands.

Had another extended episode of chapped hands from cold exposure over a decade later. That original tube of Psoriasin gel was long gone. It took almost two weeks of enduring chapped hands before I remembered using Psoriasin gel.

Again, a couple weeks of no improvement using moisturizing lotion and Neosporin, to noticeable improvement within a couple days of using Psoriasin gel. It’s now a permanent fixture in the bathroom cabinet, and I make sure to limit my hands exposure to the cold.

Mine's not a cut story but last weekend I was camping in Anza Borrego State Park for 2 nights. Morning we were leaving I was lashing down camping supplies to the roof rack of my jeep and after cutting a bunch of 12 cord, left my CRK Inkosi up on top of the ratchet strapped tarp bundle.

We had a 15 minute offroad drive back to the staging area and heard some loud clanking but I told my wife it was probably just a strap buckle or something.

She jumped up on top when we got back and saw my knife, still open, about to fall off the edge of the roof. Aside from a small chip which I've already sharpened out (ordered some diamond matrix stones as the stock EPA stones don't seem to do well with the S45VN and a few more snail trails, no apparent damage).

Drunk at a friends and was opening and closing a Spyderco rescue as fast as I could. During closing, gave it the normal bump, reposition fingers out of the way to close but the blade was faster then my ring finger and the serrations bit down hard. Instantly knew it was bad and wrapped it, Got Major anxiety while simultaneously needing to urinate. Started my business and next thing I remember happening is my bud breaking into the bathroom as he heard me fall. He came into me passed out against the toilet, pants at ankles with my hand in the piss water.

When I was 16-17 I was pretty stoked to get a Benchmade CSK II in 1095. I thought it was awesome, a real "Bear Grylls" worthy knife. For some reason I stuck it tip-down into a cedar fence post and pried it to the left. Off snapped about a 1/2 inch chunk of the tip. I was surprised it snapped off so quickly, with relatively little force. Nonetheless, I learned another thing to not do with a knife I care about.

I once worked with a guy who was showing his crew how tough his "Brand New Kevlar Work Boots" were. Proceeded to pull his pocket knife out of his pocket (which must have been sharper than I would have given him credit for), and ran it across the top of the boot, promptly cutting several tendons in his foot. 🫤

#realmenofgenius

I once worked with a guy who was showing his crew how tough his "Brand New Kevlar Work Boots" were. Proceeded to pull his pocket knife out of his pocket (which must have been sharper than I would have given him credit for), and ran it across the top of the boot, promptly cutting several tendons in his foot. 🫤

#realmenofgenius
I worked with one guy when I worked making plastic bags way long time ago. They got us all these fancy cut resistant gloves this one time. Well this guy had to see if they were the real deal, and ran his knife through his palm. Filleted his palm wide open 🤣

Also broke my wrist at recess sliding down a snow hill. And broke my tailbone falling down drunk once. (Not at the same time LOL clinton1 clinton1 🤣)

Good times. 👍🏻

Ahhhhh sledding. Sledding at night in high school with some friends at a golf course trying to find the jump everyone used to build over a concrete water valve housing, I went downhill 3rd after hearing my buddy yell he ”just missed it”, well I sure as hell found it and it took me by surprise flipping me upside down in the air allowing me to land on my neck, crunching my body over like a scorpion. When I finally came back to conscious I was pleased that I wasn‘t paralyzed but wasn't too happy that my own knee decided to drive itself into my face breaking my nose and knocking me out.

No knives involved but there was a ton of blood!

Back