Post your pictures of your over-sharpened CRK

Has anyone out there thinned out their CRK blades significantly through years of sharpening (or obsessive sharpening)? Who has the most sharpened CRK? Just curious if there are any Texas Toothpicks out in Sebenzaland.

Sorry, I don't have any. My late father-in-law used to sharpen their kitchen knives on a grinder.....always dull and some strange blade shapes...lol

I guess I was not thinking of the edge profile as much as I was the overall width of the blade from edge to spine. I know there are a few pictures floating around of some very thin and pointy Sebenza's out there, but it seems that it is not commonplace to have sharpened the blade past it's usable life.

I remember the guy who does sheaths for CRK(DVD) said he was on his 3rd blade, so they are out there. More likely in someone who owns one than 10 would be my guess.

I removed a lot of shoulder on my sebenzas, but my phone camera will not do macro shots.

Basically since I got them, they've been on a 8000 grit almost daily.

They fly through cardboard.

Most of the butcher jobs I have seen are from the edge pro. I have carried certain sebenzas for years and they still basically have their factory grind as I only use the sharpmaker. Mostly the poor sharpening jobs come from people who don't know how to use their respective sharpening devices.

When I transitioned from arkansas stones to diamond stones, I had a bit of a problem with a Sebenza. I was going to change the blade angle a bit while I was drunk. To make a long story short, an extra coarse diamond stone cuts a lot faster than a washita stone. When I sobered up, I wondered what happened to my beloved blade. While it was still useable, I had the knifew rebladed anyhow.

I have been looking at this thread from time to time thinking someone would post the kind of "skinny/sharpened a lot/over sharpened" Sebenza that Cody was hoping to see. I myself have been curious about this as well. I keep mine sharp but use just the 1000 grit ceramics, sandpaper taped to the stones and strops on the WE. Barely any metal is removed when my Sebenzas are sharpened. At the rate I am going it will be many, many years before I need a new blade.

Thanks for the bump Fordfan. Chris has always promoted his hollow grinds as giving the owner maximum useable blade life. I was just wondering if anyone ever got to the point where the blade started getting thick on them. I'd like to see the blades that were replaced (twice) that Peter made mention of!

There was one particular picture I remember being posted of a Regular that had a very sharpened out blade, the best or worst I have seen actually. I can not find it for the life of me though. Other than that one it is usually a fairly new knife with a sharpening hack job done to it you see rather than a blade that has been worn out over several years of use.

This thing people seem to have with constantly touched up mirror edges is just not something I understand personally. I use my knife every day for all sorts of stuff and an edge like that does nothing for me. It loses that crisp hair popping edge very quickly and because of the way the edge is dressed people seem to feel they have to sharpen and polish the edge again when actually that should be weeks or even months away. It's those raw carbides that do the cutting and a nice toothy edge cuts for a long time, but it's not pretty I suppose. :p

No photos posted...

I have seen a few over the years, but (like Haze) I cannot seem to find any.

There was one I recall with an accompanying story of someone trying to sharpen it (I think with and Edge Pro) at a very low angle (due to their inexperience with the sharpener). It appeared to have about a 15 degree inclusive angle at the tip. They probably ground an eighth on an inch off the blade.

Another I recall was just sharpened many times and the bevels were thickening as they intruded into the thicker regions on the grind.

I'd imagine few people are proud of this sort of thing and simply get them replaced rather than sharing photos. (Shrug)

Oh, and with regard to mirror edges...they make a modicum of sense on some blades, but not on a S##V series alloy. I think the problem is the pursuit of the aesthetics of a mirror edge instead of the performance of a highly polished ultra-fine-grained steel....but that is a whole other topic;)

Wow that is a cringe-worthy picture! I did similar damage to a couple of knives while learning to sharpen, but luckily they were not CRKs.......

Wow, that is a terrible sharpening job. Now I don't feel so bad about rounding my tip a little bit on my large 21 CF. Maybe I should stop drinking beer when I sharpen my knives...

as totally goofy as that looks, I bet it sliced through newsprint like a lazer! :D

I remember a while back seeing a pic of a severely over sharpened Umnumzaan. Wish I knew how to find it, cause it was pretty funny and sad at the same time.

Back