Post your pictures of your over-sharpened CRK

as totally goofy as that looks, I bet it sliced through newsprint like a lazer! :D

Barely cut paper, so he said in the thread. I've only sharpened two knives to that extent and they were both Gerbers. I've learned a whole lot since them.

2014-09-18%2B04.01.58.png

Saw this on instagram and cried a little. I feel like I should pour some of my drink out for this blade. Freakin'....WRECKED. Owner said that he took it to a shop to get sharpened and they just mangled it into what you see now. Just...wow...

There is no excuse for a recurve like that on a CRK unless you do it intentionally. (And I am pretty sure that was not intentional).

On many or most of my users including CRK's, I re-profile to a zero grind convex edge. CRK's often come with a semi convex bevel. Once established with emory paper on a pad, I just maintain a mirror edge on a strop with fine compound. There's no ongoing grinding away. Even obsessive stropping just polishes. My preference for convex is only about 3 to 4 years old. If an edge should get really beat up I go back to course compound or very fine emory, but that's rare. Any V grind beveling was and is done on the Spyderco sharpeners either at 40 degrees or 30 degrees (inclusive) depending on the knife and/or its use.

The before spa treatment pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After spa treatment:
attachment.php

attachment.php

That's an amazing knife! I am assuming they put a new blade. I wonder if they still make those regular blades, or just have lots in stock? Is that now S35VN?

Heh I did one on my Small Regular CGG sebenza...also to my small 21. They came out pretty much to what the above pictures looked like. The sure do slice great though and are easy as heck to touch up on the sharpmaker! :D

That's an amazing knife! I am assuming they put a new blade. I wonder if they still make those regular blades, or just have lots in stock? Is that now S35VN?

I believe that is the knife I was thinking about back at the start of this thread. :)

They do not make Regular blades anymore and any that they do have will be S30V, they are also only for warranty and will not be replaced on request. I could do with a spare Regular blade or two myself so it's a pitty. :p

Wow that is some wear and tear on that blade! And the one where the shop mangled, I'd be furious.

Sorry, gang. I've been in one of my cycles of BF absence . . . Great to pop in tonite. :)

Here's the original ATS-34 blade on my Regular large #63 on top (sporting a UG slab), after 12 years of EDC. Never sharpened/used regular blade of the same vintage on bottom.
sharpened_blade_comparison_600.jpg

This blade was not over-sharpened -- I would call it "gracefully sharpened". One of the advantages of living in Boise is that you can take advantage of the complimentary factory sharpening on a regular basis. 90% of the sharpenings were performed by CRK, with the balance being touch up jobs by me on a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Sorry, gang. I've been in one of my cycles of BF absence . . . Great to pop in tonite. :)

Here's the original ATS-34 blade on my Regular large #63 on top (sporting a UG slab), after 12 years of EDC. Never sharpened/used regular blade of the same vintage on bottom.

This blade was not over-sharpened -- I would call it "gracefully sharpened". One of the advantages of living in Boise is that you can take advantage of the complimentary factory sharpening on a regular basis. 90% of the sharpenings were performed by CRK, with the balance being touch up jobs by me on a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Wowsers!

Assuming that the grid is 1/4in squares, teh top one is shorter by 1/8in in length and around 1/8+in shallower in the belly.

Good to see you back Fooj- It's been awhile :)

Great post Fooj! The real question for me is how did you keep most of the blue on the thumbstud for 12 years? Is that the original stud?

Great post Fooj! The real question for me is how did you keep most of the blue on the thumbstud for 12 years? Is that the original stud?

Sharp eyes, Cody! Not the original thumbstud -- transitioned from single to double in about the 10th year, and have never looked back! :)

Wowsers!

Assuming that the grid is 1/4in squares, teh top one is shorter by 1/8in in length and around 1/8+in shallower in the belly.

Great to be back! Hey, and I've been meaning to pay you a visit. I mean, I'm literally about 100 feet from you now . . . Maybe during the Mat Science lab open house Friday. :)

Great to be back! Hey, and I've been meaning to pay you a visit. I mean, I'm literally about 100 feet from you now . . . Maybe during the Mat Science lab open house Friday. :)

100ft away? Probably vertically..don't think you reside in the basement with the rest of us mushrooms?
Yes..you should come see us..I would say something about the 3d printers, but I thought I seen you using one awhile back..I could be confused though :)

100ft away? Probably vertically..don't think you reside in the basement with the rest of us mushrooms?
Yes..you should come see us..I would say something about the 3d printers, but I thought I seen you using one awhile back..I could be confused though :)

I wish I was in the basement -- cool place. No, I'm in the legal bullpen in 5L.

Wowsers!

I can only imagine the enjoyment and support Fooj got for ~1/8 inch of steel in the belly on that knife as an EDC.

Well, here is one...it's not too bad, but still... it was done by the previous owner. it was my first Sebenza, and although i could see that it had been sharpened quite a bit, did not realize how much until i got one that was new...
Perhaps eventually i will get a new blade, but until then it is most frequently carried knife...

lhHplOyl.jpg

SCoL8cbl.jpg

TfuBMNkl.jpg

Back