Post your Redneck mods

3zLii4c.jpg
LG thumb stud esv? Don’t see many of those. Very nice!!

Trying the plasti dip trick with a few knives

Here's a tip- store the unused Plast Dip in a new, clean glass jar as close in size to the amount of dip left (I get my jars at Hobby Lobby). The original container is no good for storage. It may seem airtight, but the fumes from the solvent that keeps the rubber in liquid form will cause the plastic lid to expand, then it won't be airtight, and after awhile you'll have a solid chunk of rubber.

Plasti Dip is just rubber that has been liquified by solvent. And all that solvent wants to do is evaporate. As it evaporates, the rubber will become thicker until it solidifies. And the reason you want to use a jar as close as possible to the amount of dip left is because if you use an oversized jar the solvent will evaporate into the empty space in the oversized jar.

Another tip, like I mentioned, I recommend at least three dips. One dip will appear thick at first, but it dries thin. The knives in my previous post all had three dips.

If you don't like the Plast Dip it can be peeled completely off.

IMG_2729.jpeg

Done with sandpaper and a blowtorch.

IMG_2672.jpeg

When I flamed the scale, I didn’t pay attention and actually popped the detect ball out… the scales are also darkened with avocado oil from my pantry.

I’ll post a pic later of my experience patina’ing my chef’s knife.

I love my Kershaw Blur, but the rubber texturing on the grip really wore out a couple of pockets. Honestly surprising, given that the texture inserts are rubber and not grip-tape or some other feature.

I poured liquid CA glue over the texturing, let it cure, then scraped off the excess with (another) knife. Frankly, it looks pretty bad, but now it slides in and out of a pocket smoothly and without shredding the fabric.

I'm curious how others may have addressed this issue.

tYVoX6Q.jpeg

oHWHijx.jpeg

y8ZQGvD.jpeg

I've been waiting for this topic! 😆 Here is my redneck mod of the OKC SP-2. I was disappointed with how hopelessly dull the knife arrived, and I decided to change it. Besides sharpening the blade, I tried to also sharpen the swedge "with improper tools or without regard to safety or taste".

ZLyuTqd.png

CDemRz1.png

EtJAflF.png

bCvjt3o.png

Blade handles.jpg

Baseball bat wrap makes amazing handle grip! Great shock absorbing!
Dirt bike handles are great too!
The small blade I removed the crappy handles completely and plastic-dipped it like 20 times. Awesome handle!

This Benchmade AFCK was my EDC/work knife for a few years, but I had trouble using the thumb hole with gloves on, so I assembled a thumb stud for it out of various pieces of hardware that I had. Two sealing washers, a flat washer, a 8/32 screw, and a 8/32 threaded binding barrel. As luck would have it the rubber portion of the sealing washers fit perfectly into the thumb hole, and the binding barrel fit perfectly into the hole in the sealing washer, so I didn't have to do anything other than assemble it all. It worked great.

I also drilled a few holes in the front handle for better grip, ground a sharpening choil, and ground away some of the handle in front of the liner lock for easier access. But I'm submitting the thumb stud as the "redneck mod".

fdmkJUV.jpg

zPzoSr3.jpg

NcKqhMw.jpg

qHZxiqv.jpg

jGGlTA5.jpg

Last edited:
I had scientifically established a number of years ago that BEER and a DREMEL tool are sufficient to make me a master after-midnight machinist (not just a run-of-the-mill daytime machinist, no siree).

Unfortunately, no photographic evidence of the results is available at this time.

Back