Pulling the trigger on a 2x72 TODAY advice.

Get enough motor. 1.5 hp is a good beginning.
I pretty much love my KMG, but it's not the grinder I'd design if I could, and not the one I'd buy if I was buying one this year.

Reactions: MJV
I too didn't want to wait the month for a Pheer. The Northridge was the other big contender for me and was what I ultimately bought.

I bought the 110 1.5 hp VFD flat platen package. It has been fantastic. A very well thought out and executed design. I'll probably buy the RAT arm next.

Brands aside, having gone from a WFO Craftsman 2x42 to variable speed, I would suggest that be your first consideration in terms of features. A second tool arm slot is really high up there though.

Regardless what your decision is, I'd be interested to see what you decide on and how you like it.

One more vote for the Esteem. If you have to wait just do. The thing is amazing. BFF allows it to be used on both 110 or 220. I was planning on using 220 but plugged it into 110 and haven't had any shortage of power so 220 is waiting for my skill to improve. There is no vibrations at all. I just put it on the table top started grinding. There isn't much for reviews yet and it's probably holding the price down. If there are any problems with it it would be nice if a very experienced maker explained what you get in other builds. I have used a lot of tools and this one is the best one I have. My only complaint is that assembly directions are not great. That said it wasn't that bad

If I were in the market for a grinder, I'd seriously consider a Northridge. But, I have a Esteem wired for 1.5 hp @ 110v, and absolutely no complaints- it's an excellent machine.

Northridge no second thought. I've had a kmg, tw90, made 3 of my own, and would still say northridge. They care about the little things and it's done right the first time without a ridiculous premium. The mod 2 that doesn't rotate is perfect similar price to the competition and head and shoulders better.

George from northridge put a Beaumont contact wheel(makers of kmg) on a spindle and the wheel was out of round by 12 thousandths so they made their own contact wheels that spin perfect and true. The little details that people would miss they strive for. Most durable powder coat, path cut into the alum tooling arm so the bolt that locks it doesn't chew up the aluminum, gas shock out of the box but can upgrade to a ratchet tension system.

Northridge and don't look back

Ok, so I'm pumping the brakes. I was interested in the Esteem package in the classifieds but it literally sold the day I decided to buy it. I've emailed Pheer, AMK, and Esteem and plan on calling Northridge today. I've got 3k budget for tools I can use. My plan is to buy a grinder and spend 2k max for now plus a small wheel set. I've been making finger groves with files for too long and screwed up many a blade with a disc grinder removing as much steel as possible to cut down on finger grove filing.
My skills have improved a lot in 8 years, but I'll be in a sense, starting all over with a 2x72. I also need a new propane forge and I'll be building my own. My knives have been made of L6 and 1095 and 1084. I've been able to heat treat succesfly to within desired hardness after many a hard learned lesson. My band saw is crap, so ivebeen looking to upgrade as well. Basically, I'm trying to move from a hobbyist who gives away knives to friends and family, to begin selling. In all the years I've painted, I could never bring myself to sell one.
Working and creating art, be it, a sculpture, carving, a painting or a knife, I've always had a very personal attachment to the end product. So, I'm looking to challenge myself by seeing if I can sell my knives and wasn't comfortable with my talent until now. Hence, the sudden spark and motivation to upgrade my little shop. I think many of you would understand. So I'll slow down and listen to those who've walked the path I'm about to embark on.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I've read about several hours worth of threads, reviews and watched many videos on different grinders since deciding on what I perceived to be a safe bet in a KMG. I've changed my mind. It was a sudden burst of energy and excitement in deciding to jump into the fire, I think many of you know how I feel.

Call George at NR. Best customerservice and he actually listens to his customers.
I was just on his site again. It really does look to be the best built of them all IMO. I really like the package deal of the AMK but it appears that any add on would have to be an AMK or it'll need serious tweeking.

Ok, so I'm pumping the brakes. I was interested in the Esteem package in the classifieds but it literally sold the day I decided to buy it. I've emailed Pheer, AMK, and Esteem and plan on calling Northridge today. I've got 3k budget for tools I can use. My plan is to buy a grinder and spend 2k max for now plus a small wheel set. I've been making finger groves with files for too long and screwed up many a blade with a disc grinder removing as much steel as possible to cut down on finger grove filing.
My skills have improved a lot in 8 years, but I'll be in a sense, starting all over with a 2x72. I also need a new propane forge and I'll be building my own. My knives have been made of L6 and 1095 and 1084. I've been able to heat treat succesfly to within desired hardness after many a hard learned lesson. My band saw is crap, so ivebeen looking to upgrade as well. Basically, I'm trying to move from a hobbyist who gives away knives to friends and family, to begin selling. In all the years I've painted, I could never bring myself to sell one.
Working and creating art, be it, a sculpture, carving, a painting or a knife, I've always had a very personal attachment to the end product. So, I'm looking to challenge myself by seeing if I can sell my knives and wasn't comfortable with my talent until now. Hence, the sudden spark and motivation to upgrade my little shop. I think many of you would understand. So I'll slow down and listen to those who've walked the path I'm about to embark on.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I've read about several hours worth of threads, reviews and watched many videos on different grinders since deciding on what I perceived to be a safe bet in a KMG. I've changed my mind. It was a sudden burst of energy and excitement in deciding to jump into the fire, I think many of you know how I feel.

I am super new to knife making (literally made one knife) but I used a woodworking tool to do the finger grooves and it only took a few minutes. I have a Ridged 4x24 vertical belt sander with spindle attachments. Made short work of the profile sanding and finger grooves. Even when I can afford a 2x72 I doubt I'll do the handle grooves on it since the Ridged is just sitting there and did a great job. It costs $200 at Home Depot.

Those machines usually aren't sealed to the standards necessary for a dedicated metal shop. There's a strong possibility that, should your productivity increase, it'll eat itself. I think you also might find that EVERYTHING becomes much easier on a better machine. Using something because you have it ceases to be relevant when you have something that achieves the same end result better.

I have

You don't need every size small wheel, The 3/4" is the most sold & used, So pick the two or three you know you want and add from there at a later time as you need them. I have the 1/2" 3/4" & 1"

Those machines usually aren't sealed to the standards necessary for a dedicated metal shop. There's a strong possibility that, should your productivity increase, it'll eat itself. I think you also might find that EVERYTHING becomes much easier on a better machine. Using something because you have it ceases to be relevant when you have something that achieves the same end result better.

I hadn't considered that. As a woodworker I just blow it out periodically and forgot about the abrasiveness of metal filings. Thanks for the education.

Just received notice that my Pheer grinder has shipped. He's a man of his word. I received the VFD and 56c motor within a few days of placing my order. Since then I've purchased an Atlas forge and a Tippmann Boss off EBay. I got screwed on the Boss. It was misrepresented and I had to spend about 10 hours on it. I completely, I mean every single part, dismantled it, cleaned, lubed, adjusted, tested and tweeked it. 10 hours not including all the YouTube vids and forum threads I had to read. I'm now an unofficial Tippmann Boss refurbisher!
I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in grind time and finished product from a 2x42 to the Pheer.

Last edited:
You've waited until now. What's another month?

There's so many things wrong with the KMG regardless of whether it tracks/runs well or not compared to newer designs. Not wrong I guess, but dated. A single tool arm slot? No provision for a gas spring? Short tension arm? Tool arm slot mounted on two edges rather than making up an entire bulkhead of support?

I can make anything I want and there's nothing about a KMG I would even copy other than the platen hole spacing and platen arm hole/arc slot spacing. It's not designed to be a great grinder. It's designed to be easily manufactured from cold rolled barstock.

When did the gas springs start showing up on grinders. When I built my stainless steel grinder I felt I was somewhat original by swapping the coil spring with a sealed gas spring. I built my grinder with a gas spring in aug 2009.

I also think the KMG is behind the times compared to what is for sale. Back in the day the KMG was king and considered the best. But now I feal its fallen behind especially considered the price. I love direct drive and will be building another grinder in the future. Don't get me wrong I love my KMG clone but I built every part and it's as perfect as I could make it back in the day

Back in the day the KMG was king and considered the best.

This is touch of revisionist history, man. The KMG was never considered 'the best'. It was the alternative that provided lots of flexibility without the expense. It was what most guys could afford, and allowed a variety of motor options to keep that expense down, where Bader and Burr King were still the high water marks. Back then, you could get a KMG with a single speed motor (so, three speeds with the pulley configuration), a platen and a wheel for just about what a Wilton Square wheel cost. Bader, Burr King, and newcomer Hardcore were a LOT more expensive.

This is touch of revisionist history, man. The KMG was never considered 'the best'. It was the alternative that provided lots of flexibility without the expense. It was what most guys could afford, and allowed a variety of motor options to keep that expense down, where Bader and Burr King were still the high water marks. Back then, you could get a KMG with a single speed motor (so, three speeds with the pulley configuration), a platen and a wheel for just about what a Wilton Square wheel cost. Bader, Burr King, and newcomer Hardcore were a LOT more expensive.

I think maybe it used to be the best "value" way back when, in terms of a simple, straight forward machine that was rock solid and versatile, relatively easy to make adjustments on, swap out tool arms, rests, etc... Rob was also touting the "precision CNC" schtick, which (at least for me) may have added to the allure.
Start throwing in innovations like his rotary platen, his horizontal belt grinder, and disk grinder accessories, and he seemed to be at the top of the heap.

Then you had guys like Wilmont, Pheer, AMK, etc... enter the market at around the same, or possibly better prices, while still continuing to innovate and offer superior products, and KMG had just kind of stagnated and has become old hat, IMO. Granted, I'm sure you still have plenty of guys buying them because they see guy like Jimmy Diresta using one, or other makers who have had them for years, and just haven't bothered to upgrade, as maybe they bought them when quality was better, and Rob was answering emails and forum inquiries.

Heck, Burr King, Bader, Hardcore, etc.. all make fantastic machines as well, but I'm not sure why anyone would choose on of those over something like a Northridge, unless that's just what they happen to be able to get from a certain supplier, or maybe they've seen them at another maker's shop, or what have you. I'm sure for a lot of guys that buy these 2x72 machines, they're just deburring pipe and tube, and the other occasional odd part here and there, and could care less about tracking, swapping tool arms, or having infinite speed adjustments.
Us knife makers are kind of a special (and very picky) breed. :D

When did the gas springs start showing up on grinders. When I built my stainless steel grinder I felt I was somewhat original by swapping the coil spring with a sealed gas spring. I built my grinder with a gas spring in aug 2009.

I also think the KMG is behind the times compared to what is for sale. Back in the day the KMG was king and considered the best. But now I feal its fallen behind especially considered the price. I love direct drive and will be building another grinder in the future. Don't get me wrong I love my KMG clone but I built every part and it's as perfect as I could make it back in the day

I remember first seeing your all SS KMG build on youtube years ago, and thinking it was one of the greatest things I'd ever seen. :D (I still think it's a really nice machine BTW).
As for the gas struts, I'm trying to think when the first time I'd seen them were, and I think yours may be it. At the time, there really weren't that many "tool arm" grinders that I can recall, and I don't think any of them used struts. You may have started the revolution!

Back