Quick....tell me 'bout the worst pain you've ever had

I have the pain under control somewhat...but I can't eat hardly anything...feels like my tooth is going to pop out at anytime...:mad:

I went in to the Doctor's office with a tendon problem in my heel. He said that he could make it better by giving me a shot of novacaine and cortizone in my heel; but, it would hurt a lot. I replied to the positive as he was handing me a tongue depressor wrapped in gauze. I asked what it was for that's whenhe told me it was going to hurt a lot and if patients have something to bite on, they scream less. Boy was he right, it didn't hurt for long but tears were streaming down my face.

Good luck with your tooth I had one to develop a vertical split. The pain didn't stop with the physical. I now have a nice $2400 bridge over where the tooth was. The worst part about it was that the tooth had a root canal and crown done about 3 years before.

Working in a counter top fabrication shop, I had a piece of material break and fall from about 6' from the ground. I couldn't get completely out of the way. :confused:

This plastic square rod broke with a shark tooth edge that cut about 1" deep into my calf and 3" long splaying and exposing the inside of my calf muscle. On top of that it had also ripped off a 1/2" wide, 3" long strip of skin from along the one side of the gash. :eek:

I would rate that pain a 9. At the hospital the nurse had to "clean the wound" before the stitches were put in. No pain meds yet. That was a 10 on the scale that lasted for about 7 minutes I think. :grumpy:

back in 94 i had a collapsed lung. i had to get a chest tube put in so my lung would reinflate. the doctor didnt wait for the area to get numb so i felt him cut my skin then in between my ribs. he then stuck his finger in this cut and felt around inside my ribcage before putting the tube in. i was ready to kick him in the n**s and set him on fire but i just grit my teeth and bared it.

I would rate that pain a 9. At the hospital the nurse had to "clean the wound" before the stitches were put in. No pain meds yet. That was a 10 on the scale that lasted for about 7 minutes I think. :grumpy:

7 minutes at a 10, had to have felt like eternity

Think of pain as weakness leaving your body, if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger.

USMC style

Hope you feel better

You know, I once heard someone say that things that don't kill you can also leave you broken, busted, and horribly maimed....

On that note, God speed your health Dan!

When anesthetic wore off during Dr.s session with a soldering iron and a sharp knife on my man parts. That or when I had a spinal tap go sideways.
Pain just ain't fun. I hope yours is better.

I've forgotten what her name was, it was that bad.

Two years together and I'd already bought the ring. It felt felt like being kicked in the stomach for about a year. Alcohol helped but eventually made things worse.

I sure don't want to try kidney stones...

October 2, 2007 at exactly 7:37pm. My father passed away. Still feeling dazed and numb.
bladerunner67

October 2, 2007 at exactly 7:37pm. My father passed away. Still feeling dazed and numb.
bladerunner67

Ditto that-got a call from Mom-hospital called ,you father is critical- I get to the hospital emergency room ASAP-an hour before the other lame ass family members showed up- and am directed to the inter sanctum of the ER and look to my right by hapenstance to the big white board on the wall with my last name(same as my fathers-of course)with a big red line through it-geeeeeese-guess what that meant:eek:not critical but plain old dead. yep! critical means dead at my ER! Sad thing is I passed the Paramedics working on him on the side of the road a few hours earlier on my way to a freinds house to help him fix his car. They said it took so long to notify us because he had no ID--but he did have his very unqiue name(only one in phone book) engraved on his watch which I sometimes wear to this day...:mad: Death sucks-I still pick up the phone from time to time (years later) to call him for advice on this or that...Still feeling dazed and numb myself....

So bladerunner67 I'm with you brother....:(

Made me sad to read the posts about losing a loved one. My pop is 78 and although he is sharp as a tack and in decent shape for his age, he's looking old and tires easily. I dread losing him or my Mom and can't imagine going thru that. I feel for you guys having lost your Mother or Father.
Death can't take away memories so think of happier times and know they watch over you to this day.

Last edited:
As far as physical pain.... I'm a Cluster Headache sufferer. It's basically nerve pain behind your eye. Interviews with women who have them state that they would rather have a baby without any drugs and amputees that have these say they would rather have a limb amputated without meds than to endure Cluster headaches.
These are not migraines. They come in daily cycles from 30-90 days, 6-10 per day that last 30-90 minutes. They come on with no notice immediately (fine one minute then WHAM) and incapacitate the average person and then they dissapate fjust as fast.
Interesting article here about them > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

the worst i ever had was going through a wired glass window---dont ask how---the bottom was aluminum and the top was glass. i empaled myself where ass i hit it with my arms up on the sides--like a cheer. the glass cut and i got stuck on the sharp part that entred my left lung, almose completely severed my left forearm and cut through a few tendons on my right armj, the last thing i remmbered was the army paramedic trying to squeeze the artery shut while iwas lying on the ground, the blood spurted up on the ceilinng from the pressure off his squeeze and was dripping back down on me. the next thing i knew i was in a german hospital in complete agony and every orifice had a tube in it. Helga the german nurse gave me some liquid pain killer and i remmber the pain being there but it seemed far away. i was in the hospital for almost 2 months with a punctured lung, a left hand that was all clawed/fisted up ( i could not move it ) and splints on both sides. about a month into it my chest where the glass went in developed a large bulge. the doctor took an exacto -cut a slice- and put all his weight on my injury while a dixie cup full of black red ooze squirted out. mark

Broke all three of the major bones that comprises your "ankle" and holds your foot in that "L" position. My foot was literally dangling straight down. :D Broke them mountain biking.....

I coasted/pushed my bike 5 miles back to the trail head like that. Once there...my friends rushed me to the hospital. They gave me anti swelling meds and placed it all in a temporary splint. They had to let the swelling go down so they could go in and perform surgery. I was in the hospital for a week on a morphine drip. They placed in a metal plate on each side with 4 screws on one side and 3 on the other to hold the bones so they'd heal and set...and a half cast. I'd say it was an easy 10 on the pain threshold meter.

my tooth pain is starting to recede (instead of the gums...:foot: )

On the advice of my mother (bless 'er) I started using sensodyne toothpaste...seems to really help out the overall level of pain...takes it down a notch.

I started this thread a while back...and didn't intend for it to go the way it has....but I think I'm glad it turned out this way. Seems therapeutic to me...guys have a chance to share some grief/pain....maybe one step in helping us move on.

Feel free to continue posting...even if just to well-wish those needing it.

:thumbup:

Dan

I feel for you, man. I've been in pretty bad pain plenty of times, but I have to say that mouth pain is the worst.

I fell on my face one time and broke my jaw in two places, crushing most of my teeth in the process. Not simple cracking of teeth, but actual crushing of the back half of pretty much all of my back teeth. I had my jaw wired shut for two months, lost 40 lbs because I couldn't eat anything except Ensure.
That hurt bad.

Back