Real or fake (Sebenza)

Come on folks, I agree I wouldn’t buy it but point out the issues you see. I am actually NOT good at this game and I learn something every time the experts break it down.
A picture of the blade flats would have been helpful.
Heres my take.
1.Screws of wrong
2.Studs are wonky
3.Clip is wrong
4.Stop pin is a copy from the early 20teens- all scales were numbered by then
5.Chamfer on the jimping is wrong
6 jimping is actually crooked
7 ”M” is the easy one-might as well read “ Chibenza”
8.Pin is almost purple and looks to be too short…nope
9. Lock up wouldn't have left the mothership.

As a Chris Reeve Knife its hot garbage.

Some will say still a good knife, I say it takes more than the sum of the parts to make a good knife and if someone gave it to me as a gift I would shit can it as I place clones right up there with scalpers/flippers, I have no use for them. I would also find a new place to purchase my firearms.

But of course what do I know, Im just a cranky redneck.

Last edited:
Dumbest comment in this thread, the newest Sebenzas are flawless and have a better steel, detent, sharpness and heat treat than ever.
Yep but the haters just can't help themselves. The good thing is they give us hints on whom to place on our ignore lists!

As someone said above, there have been subtle changes to the design over the years, but the plunge grind is different when compared to a 31. This is not a new pick, but look at the shape of the grind at the top corner near the thumb stud. It's more angular, whereas the knife in question is rounder. Not sure if this is a fair comparison.

1000001499.jpg

Can someone post a close-up picture of the ‘M’ on their real Sebenza for comparison? Thanks!

Ok, thank you everyone for contributing to this thread, i really appreciate the feedback and contributions. I fortunately know the guys at the pawnshop pretty well and they said that I can return the knife if through my research, I found that it was a counterfeit. I sat there for about 10 minutes with the knife in hand above the knife case looking up videos on YouTube, but couldn’t get any real definitive answer, so I am grateful, through the resource of this forum thread, I can confidently say now that this is a POS imitation!

Thanks again and happy holiday!

Zak

In addition to all the other red flags, the actual number of jimping cut-outs is wrong; Sebenza should have 20 "flats." I count 17 in your pics.

Sadly, these are getting better.
Great catch!

Beating a dead horse, but for educational purposes:

The inside edges of the scales should have a small chamfer.
The hole for the screws should be counter-sunk, not counter-bored.

In addition to all the other red flags, the actual number of jimping cut-outs is wrong; Sebenza should have 20 "flats." I count 17 in your pics.

Sadly, these are getting better.
I don't think this is always accurate. I'll verify when I get home, but I have some with different numbers of cutouts. (And I know they're real, they've been back for spa services. Also, they're lefties, and no one fakes lefties.😂)

Are you guys ready for a curve ball??!!!!!

At the pawnshop where I bought the supposedly, and still more than likely, counterfeit Chris Reeve Knife, I decided to send over a picture and description to the Chris Reeve website under the counterfeit tab. There I filled out a description and added a file picture…. Sooooo, I just received word back that from the picture they believe it’s authentic and they would like to see more pictures…..🤪

I just sent over another 20 pictures, some of which have been posted here and commented on/dissected by the knowledgeable forum members of this site. I’m sure with the other pictures they will agree that this is a fake knife, but I just thought I would throw this out there for anybody who wanted a laugh, and quite possibly a little more conversation…IMG_2248.png

Are you guys ready for a curve ball??!!!!!

At the pawnshop where I bought the supposedly, and still more than likely, counterfeit Chris Reeve Knife, I decided to send over a picture and description to the Chris Reeve website under the counterfeit tab. There I filled out a description and added a file picture…. Sooooo, I just received word back that from the picture they believe it’s authentic and they would like to see more pictures…..🤪

I just sent over another 20 pictures, some of which have been posted here and commented on/dissected by the knowledgeable forum members of this site. I’m sure with the other pictures they will agree that this is a fake knife, but I just thought I would throw this out there for anybody who wanted a laugh, and quite possibly a little more conversation…View attachment 2428018
What pics did your send the first time?

That explains it.From that shot you would be hard pressed to see it other then the drilled hole.

Back