Reality Based tip SNAPPED!!! 440C to brittle?

V12

OMG I just snapped the tiny-needle fine tip!!!! :eek: :mad: :barf: :eek: Gotdamn I was cutting an orange juice carton open and there was a slight resistance and BOOM the tip came down on my sink and I heard a tiny POP and looked at the missing tip and nearly kicked the sink down!!! Now WTF do I do? How do I sharpen this to something that goes along with the blade contour? Oh GOD this makes me SO angry! I'm always extremely careful about it and weary about handling it... I thought that it would simply just be bent and I could tap it back and slightly resharpen. The break isn't extreme, but for me it's enough to think the tip is ruined and worthless?!
I didn't know this 440C blade would be this brittle? :confused: Here's a pick, you'll have to zoom in on the tip to see it. I'm just sick over this, I JUST got it!

Aww I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but DAMN this knife is SO SHARP! I've cut myself on the serrates a good 4times just learning how to close it, since most knifes have a flat edge where no cut is at the very end... no so with this demonic creature... :grumpy:

Send it back for a new one...it shouldn't have broken with the force you are describing.

seriously I didn't slam it down or nothing, you can still see the blade is completely razor sharp throughout! I've only cut a few slices of paper with it. Steel of this quality should bend before snapping like it did. 440C isn't that brittle...

Dude i feel your pain but it`s only a $50 knife what do you expect when metal hits metal ? The tip is way more partial to damage than your sink , maybe next time cut your orange carton on a cutting board . Hope this helps and hope you`ve learned from your mistake ??

LOL reminds me of my H&K Tanto Folder... I flicked it open with a move of my wrist and the blade hit our kitchen, which has a steel-surface. :D
The tip looked exactly the same like yours after that, V12!

Well... I'm doubting boker will give a hoot :jerkit: . I would gladly pay for a reshapen, I thought the tip was a little TOO thin to begin with. 1 pierce and it was prob doomed to break anyhow... But again, this is a very brittle steel. I've delt with all kinds of steel before (I was a materials science engineer under grad) and usually they just bend. Breakage like that is very charateristic of cold-aluminum or of super-hardened steels. I just didn't think this model would be as such.... I could resharpen it myself (How do I go bout this? Do I need a special diamond kit?) but it would look out of place with the blade contour. Geesh, this is just aweful! My poor tainted Tanto! :barf: :eek: :thumbdn: :mad:

Well least I know it's ridiculously hard/sharp: I forgot to mention that the carton was sitting on top of a 1/2 plastic grate to keep dishes off the sink, upon looking at it, it sliced through it also! So the impact couldn't have been that hard, I didn't force it- it just slowed a little, then wham! :D

Well... I'm doubting boker will give a hoot :jerkit: . I would gladly pay for a reshapen
To the contrary, I would be very interested in you sending that in to us.
I have tested mine pretty hard, and did not experience tip breakage.

Send it in, we'll take a look at it, and I'll take care of it in an appropriate
manner. I would say more, but I can't tell what I am going to do until
I see the knife.
Do you need the instructions to send it in?
Go here: www.bokerusa.com and click on the warranty button.

Thanks, TJT

WOW thanks TJT! :foot: I hope it was just a bad blade. I REALLY like this knife, I've never seen anything like it! It's still TOO sharp imo, I cut myself a lot from not paying very close attention. Just a slight little graze or bump into the serrates means another paper thin cut and liquid bandaid time. :eek: I love it!

BTW- Is it okay if I PM you TJT about receiving it (what should I indicate in the package about it relating to this forum?), or is there a way that I can make sure that you get a hold of it when I send it in?

Thanks a lot! Guys for the support! :thumbup:

I think that the damage should have been expected. Just my opinion considering what you hit.

OK,
I got the knife, and looked at it.
It does appear to have had a crack in the blade previous to the breakage happening.
I am replacing it, but, I would be a little careful with impacting it on something like that again. A tip that thin is made for piercing, kind of like the
Yojimbo or Ronin. It is not made for running into metal of any kind.
V, you should be getting that pretty soon.
Take care,
TJT

Man! That is some really great customer service.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Especially after the tirade, and the :jerkit: with the "doubt they will care"..... though taking care of a guy after that kind of posting is a nice way to slap him. Good job Boker, that was great customer service to a customer which wasn't very nice to you at the outset.

Especially after the tirade, and the :jerkit: with the "doubt they will care"..... though taking care of a guy after that kind of posting is a nice way to slap him. Good job Boker, that was great customer service to a customer which wasn't very nice to you at the outset.

*Sigh...* Whoa whoa sir, you yourself need to calm down. Your tone is malicious and does NOTHING to aid this form. I have called and spoken personally with TJT, and he was VERY understanding. By you reposting my assumed lack of concern by boker, you not only cast yourself as an antagonist, but also someone that shows lack of self-restraint. I was upset, my new knife had unexpected snapped from what wasn't a violent nor malicious attempt to break it. Of course someone would be upset and shocked. But instead of being sympathetic, you decided to pot-shot and talk smack.... why? Nevermind why- I'm gracious that Mr.Trahan helped me out and took concern with my post and that is all that should be of concern from you- the bystander.... please do not bother responding as this is not a mud slinging contest. I was wrong, I admitted up to it, that should be sufficient- not to mention I offered to pay for whatever necessary remedy Boker chose to/not to offer. Case closed and thank you all for your support, and again thank YOU Mr.Trahan! :D :thumbup:

I would also like to apologize to the forum community- that I had to respond to this kind of predatory mud-slinging... I admitted to my mistake and don't need to have my nose rubbed in it. Thanks and well being to all! :)

V12,

I guess I shouldn't have weighed in on a situation that didn't directly concern me, and for that I am sorry. Having been in customer service for 20 years, I just get a little upset at people that assume that the company that sold them their product doesn't give a hoot about them. The fact that you posted something like you did in a public forum before talking to their warranty department hit me the wrong way. As for lack of self restraint....maybe, but people living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks. As for malicious, I wouldn't go quite that far. Talking smack???? Well, maybe I should have left the slap him comment out so I guess I might have to give you that one. Predatory mud-slinging??? LMAO come on buddy that comment wasn't predatory, and I might have been splashing a little water, but that was far from mud-slinging. I apologize that I hurt your feelings, and, in the spirit of things, I will apologize to anyone who was offended by my post.

Good job owning up to your outburst and apologizing to it. Nice overboard reaction to someone pointing it out to you.

Hurt feelings? lmao... you need a beer, I need a beer... touche :p Thanks again Boker!

If you live in Colorado, I will gladly buy you a beer...otherwise....I guess it will have to be a virtual beer. Here's mud in your eye!!!! (sorry I couldn't resist) FYI the mud in your eye wasn't slung, it was thrown up from the road in front of the bar where we just finished our beers. Ahhhhhh!!! I really need some sleep.

On another note, how about you write a small review of your impressions and thoughts about that knife. It has intrigued me since it came out, but I just couldn't find a reason to purchase one. In the event that I ever had to use one of my edged tools to defend myself, I wouldn't want it to be one identified as an uber tactical deanimation device or the like, but that is a very interesting blade design, I bet it would be excellent for cutting rope and vegitation. Point might be decent for boring holes in wood (as long as the snapping thing isn't a regular occurance). I may just convince myself that I need one yet.

I just love to see a knife company that has great CS, and with this I would not hesitate to buy a Boker! A BIG thumbs up for Boker and TJT:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OMG I just snapped the tiny-needle fine tip!!!! :eek: :mad: :barf: :eek: Gotdamn I was cutting an orange juice carton open and there was a slight resistance and BOOM the tip came down on my sink and I heard a tiny POP and looked at the missing tip and nearly kicked the sink down!!! Now WTF do I do? How do I sharpen this to something that goes along with the blade contour? Oh GOD this makes me SO angry! I'm always extremely careful about it and weary about handling it... I thought that it would simply just be bent and I could tap it back and slightly resharpen. The break isn't extreme, but for me it's enough to think the tip is ruined and worthless?!
I didn't know this 440C blade would be this brittle? :confused: Here's a pick, you'll have to zoom in on the tip to see it. I'm just sick over this, I JUST got it!

V12, after the above post, you're giving advice to calm down? :confused: :eek:

Laughable. :p And exactly where here did you admit to your mistake? Maybe I missed it.

Nice customer service by Boker though. Good to see.

Back