Reality Based tip SNAPPED!!! 440C to brittle?

Well folks I've long ago received my JWR Spearpoint and cannot be more happy with it (okay I could always nit-pick) I love it. I carry it everywhere and it's just as sharp as the Gladius, but not as awkward... I'm not sure where I should write a review on it - IE a sep forum or keep this one going? BTW- I might add again, Boker's support is THE best support I've ever received from anywhere. It's FAST, immediate and informative... Thanks for all the support everyone!

Add it to a different forum but definetly write it! I've been looking at that varient with lust since I became aware of it

I just made a shoulder rig for that blade, and damn if I didn't stab myself every time I handled it. It is very sharp, and deceptively long.

I just made a shoulder rig for that blade, and damn if I didn't stab myself every time I handled it. It is very sharp, and deceptively long.

Which model did you get; the spearpoint or the Gladius? I definitely found myself with little slits and cuts just about every time I open/closed/handled the Gladius. The near full serrates are light-saber-like sharp, and even the slightest touch... blood drippage :eek: The Spearpoint on the other hand, just as sharp, but def not that extreme. Better suited for me since I'm not planning on stabbing anything/one atm... ;)

The Gladius. The customer wanted a deplyed blade, under the strong arm, reverse grip draw. Everytime I worked withthe blade it seemed to snag me, and I handle knives all day long. Very sharp, definatly.

The Gladius. The customer wanted a deplyed blade, under the strong arm, reverse grip draw. Everytime I worked withthe blade it seemed to snag me, and I handle knives all day long. Very sharp, definatly.

After my tip snapped, I become very paranoid about the tip. I was hoping that there was a less extreme style tip, more in the middle between Gladius and Tanto. Guess that's where the Spearpoint comes in. Then again the Gladius IS specifically made to do just what I found annoying, CUT, Snag, rip and penetrate. I cannot image the kind of wound something like this would inflict on a thigh, arm or chest. I think it'd be like having a shark take a taste test on you. Even slight taps and it would draw blood, rip clothes poke holes... imagine a full strike/slash. :eek: :cool: okay I'm going to stop being lazy and take some more pics and post a review of my SpearPoint. It's Def a great deal... it's my EDC — surprisingly I don't even notice it on my side pocket... poor unsuspecting mugger.... :thumbup:

Aloha ALL,

Great job Terry!:thumbup: I been testing my RBB and it does great through denim and old magazines wrapped around a dowel.;) However, at times when I hit "bone", I immediately checked my tip to see if it looked like V12's...fortunately no.

OTOH, I got a PE version of the RBB for a friend of mine, and the first thing he does is SLAM it into a wood pillar, then yanks it out. Tip looked like V12's. :eek: D'Oh!!!:eek: He was not disappointed in the least, and you should have seen what happened to the pillar!:eek:

Upon arrival of my RBB I *knew* the tip was not capable of such impact. It thrusts extremely well, and is good for only "what it was designed for" IMHO. The recurve version is much more practical for "reality use", as it will enable people to carry and USE this version of RBB on a daily basis.:thumbup:

Anyway, enjoy whatever version you guys choose of the RBB series and God bless!:cool:

A little FYI for you guys out there, its possible to make an excellent wave with two small zip ties through the hole on the back of the blade of the RBB. I did this and I gotta say, it makes this knife perfect for SD.

Well after this thread I have to get me one now!!!! Thanks fellas I am no longer riding the fence on this one.

Your welcome... Soon as I get my digi-cam back I'll do a full review on the SpearPoint... it really is my EDC! :)

Forgive me... but am I missing something here?

A knife marketed for personal protection with all the bells and whistles has to be pampered lest the tip hit metal and break?!

.... and if you hit a belt buckle or pendant while defending yourself, this 'SD' knife tip should not be expected to hold up? Unlike my 440C Entrek, for instance?

I"m glad Boker Customer Service has helped you. But I question the durability of this knife, based on what I read and comprehended.

Sir,
I understand your questions, but I would bet your Entrek was made with
a thicker, utility style point, as opposed to the thin, piercing tip of the
RBB. Yes, the tip is more fragile, based on it's thiness, the same way the Spyderco Ronin and Yojimbo are. It is not made for utility use, but purely for defensive purposes. And, to address this issue, we have the Recurve
model, which I prefer, that has a much stronger tip, and is more utility friendly.
HTH,
Terry

what exactle are the differences btw the recurve knife and gladius one, Because on the description on knifecenter both versions seem to have the same features but a poster on this thread said that the recurve didn't have the "blood grooves"(I'm not sure what they are, anyway?). and what exactly is a Kriss blade. Just wanted to know because now I am leaning toward getting the recurve version, instead.

Forgive me... but am I missing something here?

A knife marketed for personal protection with all the bells and whistles has to be pampered lest the tip hit metal and break?!

.... and if you hit a belt buckle or pendant while defending yourself, this 'SD' knife tip should not be expected to hold up? Unlike my 440C Entrek, for instance?

I"m glad Boker Customer Service has helped you. But I question the durability of this knife, based on what I read and comprehended.

I think you are missing something. Most sinks are ceramic..ie.e glass coated. Glass is harder than steel. Slam a fine point into it and the knife will come out the loser. It was operator error. Thankfully Boker service is outstanding and made a customer happy even though it was his fault.

Back