Recon 1 Improvement

I like the hollow grind but I do think that a flat grind is more appropriate for this "hard use" flagship model.

I like the hollow grind but I do think that a flat grind is more appropriate for this "hard use" flagship model.

TBH i wont make much of a difference in terms of cutting ability, but the added strength should be significant. I've see a few videos where deep hollow ground blade usually got a big chunk taken out of the blade from hard use.
I also like the "premium" aspect of it. Flat ground knives are usually coming from higher end company such as ZT(all ZT are flat ground) or Benchmade(almost flatground exclusively and only use hollow for cheap models) as it's using more expensive CNC machine rather than being passed through grinding wheels.

Thanks a lot guys. I was going to completely ignore the Recon 1s as I already have a few. That dark earth just looks so right to me, much better than my tan R1. You guys just couldn't leave well enough alone and now I'm going to be out another $100! ;)

Yeah, there's always a chance of a big edge blowout with a hollow grind. Although that would take some doing with a folder.
Not so sure about what you wrote of CNC machined flat grinds. As far as I know, the bevels are ground whether flat or hollow. Difference is a belt on a flat platen vs a belt on a wheel. No?

Yeah, there's always a chance of a big edge blowout with a hollow grind. Although that would take some doing with a folder.
Not so sure about what you wrote of CNC machined flat grinds. As far as I know, the bevels are ground whether flat or hollow. Difference is a belt on a flat platen vs a belt on a wheel. No?

It is for custom knives. But mass produced knives are not ground by belt, except the edge maybe. I believe the bevels are ground by wheels(industry scale) or in higher end knives like the ZT the blade is CNC. Check out this article on ZT's shop:
https://offgridweb.com/gear/zero-tolerance-interview/#

I wonder if the clip point will be flat ground as well. I have a hard time seeing it in that video but it does lack the hollow grind reflection.

Maybe a shallower hollow grind than it used to be? If I recall correctly the Code 4 has a shallower hollow grind.

I doubt they changed the grind of the Recon 1 blade. As for hollow grinds, I like them as well as flat grinds, if the blade steel is tough. I don t equate hollow grinds with cheap knives. CRK and Strider.
Just got my first Recon 1 last week. I m pleased with the excellent ergonomics of all the Cold Steel knives I own. My Recon 1 is very impressive.
Based on this knife, as well as the Holdout 2, I think ZT could learn something from Cold Steel about knife strength and knife weight. :thumbup:

Hollow grinds have a longer sharpening life too (especially high hollow grinds). All else being equal, a flat grind makes for a stronger blade (especially when used for chopping/batoning)

Great, but they still need to move away from the teflon that they put on the lock and pockets clips.

The biggest disappointment of 2017 for me is that they STILL HAVE NOT MADE A STONEWASHED UN-COATED VARIANT OF THE RECON SERIES. For fig sake Cold Steel, just cannot comprehend it. A stonewashed recon spearpoint in XHP, would be one of the best knives out.

The biggest disappointment of 2017 for me is that they STILL HAVE NOT MADE A STONEWASHED UN-COATED VARIANT OF THE RECON SERIES. For fig sake Cold Steel, just cannot comprehend it. A stonewashed recon spearpoint in XHP, would be one of the best knives out.

Yeah, my "de-coated" (both the blade and lock arm) AUS8A Recon 1 is a favorite even though I have a R1 in XHP. Even though I like the DLC I'd pick up an un-coated R1 in XHP for sure!

This video gives a better look at the new Recon 1, you can see very clearly that it's now flat ground. Although it's not in English, i believe the guy is trying to show the reflection off the flat grind:

[video=youtube;YAiikPkuthw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAiikPkuthw[/video]

Back