Recon 1 Improvement

HKY
After inspecting my Recon 1 which I just got 2-3 weeks ago, alongside of my American Lawman and my Ultimate Hunter, I believe it is a thin flat ground blade. That or a very shallow hollow grind. The Lawman is definitely a hollow grind. The UH is a thin flat grind. (I noticed this after watching a youtube review by NF stating the CS UH was hollow ground.). The Recon 1 is a thinner grind than the UH, but I believe it is flat.
Probably very little functional difference. I really like the ergonomics of that knife.
I really wish CS offered that model as well as the AL with uncoated blades.

I was looking at a pic of the new Dark Earth Recon 1 and I noticed that it doesn't have the notch/unsharpened section at the base of the blade. Now it has a true sharpening choil - a notch that connects to sharpened edge.

That was the first thing that jumped out at me when I saw the picture a few days ago. I'm glad to see the improvement.

Looks like the Ultimate Hunter received the same treatment - new grind. Saw a new arrival pic at bladehq.
Now I'm wondering if the American Lawman will also be changed.

Nice! I didn't see this thread till now, but I ordered a dark earth Recon 1 spear point a few days ago, and it should be here Friday, so this is great news.:thumbup: I hadn't even noticed the change to the edge. :eek:

Last edited:
Well, photobucket is screwing with me again, so no pics atm, but I got the dark earth Recon 1 today. The blade looks flat ground to me. Also, the edge does go all the way back to the sharpening notch.:thumbup::cool: The dark earth color is odd in real life. It's sort of a medium brown color, but there's a hint of some other color under certain lighting that I can't quite figure out yet. :confused::D

The biggest disappointment of 2017 for me is that they STILL HAVE NOT MADE A STONEWASHED UN-COATED VARIANT OF THE RECON SERIES. For fig sake Cold Steel, just cannot comprehend it. A stonewashed recon spearpoint in XHP, would be one of the best knives out.

If they make it uncoated , won't they have to polish it for corrosion resistance? Extra expense. CTS XHP is real close to 440c which is most corrosion resistant when highly polished.

If they make it uncoated , won't they have to polish it for corrosion resistance? Extra expense. CTS XHP is real close to 440c which is most corrosion resistant when highly polished.

Cold Steels stonewash as seen on the Voyagers is actually a very high polish (as stonewashes are by nature) Also the way Cold Steel heat treats their XHP has also proven to be very good in the corrosion resistance department so i wouldn't see it as ever being an issue :)

Stonewashed alone is just a dulling finish , acid wash first is anti-corrosion . Uncoated was what I keyed in on. Heat treating is done according to the steel manufacturers guidelines ( data sheet / white sheet) . Nothing special about it. Heat ,quench temper to desired hardness.

Stonewashed alone is just a dulling finish , acid wash first is anti-corrosion . Uncoated was what I keyed in on. Heat treating is done according to the steel manufacturers guidelines ( data sheet / white sheet) . Nothing special about it. Heat ,quench temper to desired hardness.

You do know that heat treatment does have an effect on the properties of the steel, whether you go for all out hardness or a balance, it does have an impact on things like corrosion resistance. For instance S35VN heat treated from one manufacturer will perform differently to another manufacturer in more areas than just hardness. And stonewashes may look like a "dulling finish" but depending on the media used, it's basically polishing done by thousands of tiny scratches via abrasive media.

The way to be sure if it is a flat grind:

Is to take a ruler and place it against the grind.

If it is flat, no light should pass through.

If it is a hollow grind, then light will pass through.

I have yet to get any of the new flat dark earth versions.

I am on a Wharncliffe/modified Wharnclffe kick for now.

The way to be sure if it is a flat grind:

Is to take a ruler and place it against the grind.

If it is flat, no light should pass through.

If it is a hollow grind, then light will pass through.

I have yet to get any of the new flat dark earth versions.

I am on a Wharncliffe/modified Wharnclffe kick for now.

Nice simple test .Thanks.

The change from hollow to flat grind is really secondary to me, I just want to find out if all recent Recon 1 models have the changed plunge line grind that allows the edge to go all the way to the sharpening notch.

You could email gpknives. They seem good when it comes to answering questions.

Yes, actually I did just that this morning. Here is their answer (I hope they don't mind me sharing it):
At this time, it appears the only Recon 1's in our inventory with the new grind are those that you mentioned - spear points in the OD and Tan handles. It appears this may be a rolling change by Cold Steel that will eventually encompass the Recon 1 series as images on Cold Steel's website show the old grind technique on those listed (spear points). We will keep an eye on this and update our images accordingly as the changes come in. Unfortunately, we are unable to give any type of time frame on when we may receive other iterations of the product with the new grind.
You are right, they were extremely helpful!

Reactions: AF
Back