• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off

Never really understood why profile messages are public here, ALL messages here SHOULD be PRIVATE no matter what the membership status is of a member, it may not eliminate scams, but it sure would help to not give them ammo.... 🙄

I'm pretty sure profile messages came with the shift to Xenforo...and there probably isn't an option to make them private. (Back when the site was on vBulletin, as you likely recall, there was an email capability.). Personally, I dislike profile messaging and have disallowed it on mine (though I have occasionally sent messages in attempt to assist)

Thinking about it now, I wonder what happens if a person doesn't allow their profile info to be viewed but allows profile messages...

Same problem on BCUSA. Scammers hacking accounts and pretending to be a respected member. I had a perspective buyer question my integrity, ie; am I a scammer. I gave him three other members names that I had dealt with recently and told him to get my PayPal addy from them. That knocks out the unknown email problem. And we had a successful transaction.

Not my email. It is the scammers email. I wanted to warn everyone.
Seriously Dave. You still have a post in the exchange (see the link I posted earlier) where you gave out your email. If you continue to misunderstand what you're being told, and leave it there, you will continue to be a mark.

Because private messaging is only available to paid members (and I think the message limit for Basic is quite low)...and, as I posted earlier in this thread, profile message are not private.
Maybe Gold membership should be the gold standard😊

As a retired federal LEO, I'll be very happily surprised if an $85 loss is going to motivate them to investigate....despite your relationship with them. (That said, the total losses here recently are much higher than that.)

Please keep us posted. We, (myself, boru, knarfeng and rycen), have been busting our asses trying to put out fires for the last few days. It hasn't been fun, and my eyes are about crossed from staring at the screen for hours on end.

It's appreciated.

Back