Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Hello. I'll take a "stab" at this, lol. BTW, I'm going from memory, so please be sure to confirm details of my comments (if you are unsure).
TEI and SAI T, both ZDP189.
I currently have a CHI ZDP, HIGO II ZDP, and RYO.
I intentionally tried to have knives that I like and are representative of the Rockstead knives aesthetics.
I really like the TEI ZDP with the black duralumin, and ray skin. To me, very much a Japanese "flavor". It is a little larger size in the range. If carried frequently, there will be wear marks in the handle finish. But, I think overall, it is a fantastic knife!

The SAI.T w/prism finish is a very interesting knife. Titanium handle and contouring is very nice. I personally don't care for the prism finish. I REALLY like the honzukuri tanto ZDP blade!! I don't believe it has a pocket clip. Knife is smaller than the TEI.
Rockstead knives are outstanding, so you will most likely be very satisfied and appreciative of their quality, fit/finish, function, etc.
My choice would be conditional. If it would be the first Rockstead with intentions to acquire another (or others), I'd choose the TEI. Quintessential Rockstead knife.
If I intended it to be my only Rockstead, I'd go with the SAI T ZDP (assuming prism finish is acceptable).
You are in an enviable position to be able to choose among the Rockstead models.
FYI, the REN intrigues me!
I don't know if any of this helps, but I am happy for you to own either of these very special knives!
Best regards and God bless.

Meh... If I lost my Rocky, then oh well. I definately can't afford to piss away $1,200, but there is more to life than a sharp shiny object. Life is too short to not carry your $1,000+ Rocky.

My Higo rides in a leather belt sheath which holds it pretty securely. I don't even think about the price when I carry it. I carry it just like any other knife; it's all about your state of mind.

159E44FB-1942-45E0-9D9B-E3C0798F51E3_zpsjcfigpsr.jpg
You sir are one cool duck

Thanks, I’ve since sold my Rocksteads though 😂 My interests have shifted to automatic knives. I wouldn’t go back to Rockstead anyways since their warranty is basically useless.
Really? Wow I didn’t know that about the Warrentee. I have had a higo for a few years now and only lightly used it. I managed to resharpen the blade without messing up the finish and it’s back to super razor sharp again.

Thanks, I’ve since sold my Rocksteads though 😂 My interests have shifted to automatic knives. I wouldn’t go back to Rockstead anyways since their warranty is basically useless.
Second hand warranty or original owner?

I need to send my Ren in after I destroyed the edge and tip.

Has anyone come across aftermarket pocket clips for Rockstead folders? I would like to replace the stock one on my Higo II.

Apologies if this has been covered, but my searches did not produce any results.

Thank you!

As an owner of a Chi and the Higo-X-IW, I highly recommend both current and prospective owners of Rockstead folders to read this entire thread; there’s a great deal of good info on the knives as well owners’ experiences.
Allan
agreed 👍🏻

Received a Higo X-IW-ZDP earlier this week and it is indeed impressive. My only observation is that the back side scale isn’t as polished as the show side, in fact, it is noticeably rougher (less smooth), though it does have much more grain in the wood. It helps the grip when opening but the difference tweaks my OCD a bit. Neither scale is as highly polished as I was expecting (my first knife with ironwood scales).

For those with the same knife, is this normal?

Thanks In Advance!
Lee

IMG_1982.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg

Received a Higo X-IW-ZDP earlier this week and it is indeed impressive. My only observation is that the back side scale isn’t as polished as the show side, in fact, it is noticeably rougher (less smooth), though it does have much more grain in the wood. It helps the grip when opening but the difference tweaks my OCD a bit. Neither scale is as highly polished as I was expecting (my first knife with ironwood scales).

Thanks In Advance!
Lee

View attachment 1977644
View attachment 1977647
The wood inserts aren't extremely polished on mine either. Both have the same feel to them, however.

Thanks In Advance!
Lee

View attachment 1977644
View attachment 1977647
Wouldn’t that improve traction and grip?

Thanks In Advance!
Lee

View attachment 1977644
View attachment 1977647
One thing for sure ! Beautiful grain pattern on yours !! 😍

Back