Rogue

Got mine today from Kizer dealer in my country..

my first Rogues got up and down blade play, they send another replacement and the second unit is rock solid..
i love the shape, style, weight and ergonomic... on my unit the factory grind was not great, the angle is to wide and not to sharp... there are some imperfection in the flat grind area.. but since i'm gonna use it as daily carry and to try out S35VN, i can look over those and still a very happy customer..
i sharpen mine to more accute angle and the sharpness increased dramaticly.. the blade take a very nice edge .. sweettt..

luv mine..

here's some pictures:

some edge demonstration after sharpening... the factory edge wont cut the leaf.
[video=youtube;5FiZ9gJafL8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FiZ9gJafL8[/video]

Love the Rogue, definitely one of my favorite edc knives of all time! Here's one that I modded recently, just rounding off a lot of the hard edges on blade and handle:
bZUgaJk.jpg

34QECG7.jpg

P2CHd9s.jpg

Agreed -- Kizer, can you round off the hard edges on the blade and handle in your next production run of the Rogue?

I like the more angular shape of the blade. Those edges really complete the look Dirk had in his mind.

I have noticed some fluctuations in the consistency of the factory Edge. Sharpening a straight edge knife blade can be deceptively difficult. Especially in a production setting.

Great mods Agartha Audio! I do have a very similar Blade shape I was thinking about for the Rogue handle. I opted for the more angular blade with the thought of a thumb rest further out on the blade. I held off adding jimping in that area to see what feedback would be. It did look a little odd with jimping. Right now, I have not heard much on it. A couple of people said they would like the jimping added there.

Thanks to everyone for the continued input. It very much helps direct design development.

Thanks so much Dirk, it's an honor to hear from you personally! I think both blade shapes are awesome, with the original angular one being more functional, but aesthetically I like the rounded. Would definitely be interested to see the jimping, would definitely increase the function of the thumb rest. Can't wait to see more designs from you in the future, keep up the awesome work.

Finally caved, bought it this Sunday. Thanks to mesenzo it arrived today ( traveling from the Netherlands to Germany), great service, thanks a lot!
Very nice knife! Reaction from my wife "this looks dangerous" ... My reply "it is a knife, they usually have a pointy end and a sharp part". But yes, it does look rather martial. I will post some pics and some more details about it another time...
But one thing... It is also not sharp. Really not. Well, I will sharpen it, the ergos so far are really nice.

Bought one of these yesterday. Mine is (nearly)shaving sharp.
I had put in a bunch of overtime last week and this is a present to myself!
Haven't "used" it yet. (breaking down cardboard at work)
Just fondling and slicing paper in my home office I really like it so far.
Great blade shape, overall size is good, solid construction w/out being too heavy or bulky, everything seems to be Goldilocks on this knife.
A nice touch I didn't really notice at first is the black color in the grooves of the scales continues around the edges. Looks good. Different colors in the future?? I'd like bright red (wink, wink....nudge, nudge) or yellow would be cool.
The jimping above the thumb studs aggressive but OK. It works for this knife.
I expected a flipper but am pleasantly surprised there isn't one. Makes this knife a bit of a throwback.
I do miss a lanyard/fob hole. The handle grooves are great horizontally but vertically in the pocket I think the scales might be a little slick until this knife is broken in.

Good Job Mr. Pinkerton and Kizer.

here a write up about my thoughts on the rogue:
So after some time of always wanting to get the rogue (I am a sucker for wharncliffe style blades) I finally caved and got it. Big thanks to Hans from Mesenzo here, excellent service and fast shipping!
First the packaging… the knife arrived in this white/cream box (which I almost tore when trying to open it). Please note that the scuff marks are NOT the way I received the box from Mesenzo, but are from when I carried it in my bag this morning. Inside is a black/silver box including a Kizer cloth and the actual knife pouch. Now me I would seriously prefer if Kizer would use something different than the camo pattern for the pouch. This tacticool look is just not for me and imho doesn’t fit well to the clean looks of the knife. But that is just something really minor.

Now, on to the knife itself, really nice fit and finish. It runs smoothly on the washers and locks up solid with a nice click and no blade play. Blade came basically perfectly centered, just hard to capture and was in excellent shape.

Strangely I have always been under the impressions that the accents would be a really dark blue… they are not, they are black maybe I need to get my eyes checked…
I would really like to know what kind of paint/coating they used for this.
The deep carry pocket clip is excellent. Good tension to keep the knife in your pocket, yet not too stiff as to make it a pain to slide into jeans for example.
The finish is nice and even on the scales and the blade, no scuffs in the paint or on the rest of the scales when it arrived. However, the blank titanium parts obviously scratch really easily. Well, that is a no brainer of course but I thought I would mention it. Already has some tiny scratches from carrying and playing after a day.

On to handling! This was actually my biggest concern when I read that people had rounded off the edges of the scales and when I first saw this knife. It was a big relief when I finally held it in hand that for me this is not an issue at all. Actually the knife feels really comfortable in hand regarding the edges of the scales and the slight jimping applied to the spine of the blade and the inside of the scales. I would guess that the paint/coating plays its part in it as well. The thumbstud is easy to reach and one hand opening is really easy, no problem.
Full four finger grip works, no problem there either, I have medium-large hands. The thumb also rests comfortably on the broad spine of the blade.

One issue however: the grooves along the scales. They feel kind of sharp. Mind you I slid my thumb along it with a lot of pressure and it obviously did not cut so it just feels that way. Time will tell how much I like them.
Oh, and the knife was not sharp at all out of the box. Couldn’t remedy that yesterday, but will do that today. I also can’t tell whether the grind is supposed to have this slight curve at the tip or not.

So all in all a great knife, escpecially considering what you get for the price! It really matched my expectations.
Some comments (note, these are not negative points but list marks ;) ):
- Anybody ever thought about doing a full black grip?
- A bit larger cutout on the presentation side (just 1 or 2 mm) would greatly improve the access to the lockbar, though it works plenty fine already.
- Wish you could fill the grooves with some kind rubber/plastic for added grip or chamfer the edges of the grooves.
- Great blade shape
- Great action and lock up
- Feels really good in hand
- Great value for the price

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone. When the time comes for Kizer to do another run which, I hope is soon, all of this information will help me make some adjustments to the design. I am pleased to hear there isn't any really big changes needed, just some fine tuning.

Full black handle? Interesting. What about a blasted and tumbled handle?

I was happy to see a manual knife without a flipper. It makes it so much easier to use as a small food prep knife. Every knife doesn't have to be a flipper but I have noticed flipper fanatics and people with small hands have more knives catered to them than any other demographic yet they still complain more than any other demographic. Hmm, go figure. Dirk, you are a gifted man. I love the design. It's a perfect wharncliffe blade.

I was happy to see a manual knife without a flipper. It makes it so much easier to use as a small food prep knife. Every knife doesn't have to be a flipper but I have noticed flipper fanatics and people with small hands have more knives catered to them than any other demographic yet they still complain more than any other demographic. Hmm, go figure. Dirk, you are a gifted man. I love the design. It's a perfect wharncliffe blade.

Thank you! That is very kind.

I have smaller hands and it is sometimes a challenge not to let that influence a design. I try to find a balance on size that works for both large and small hands. The Rogue is a perfect example.

Dirk, I messaged you on your website earlier today to see if you had a similar knife to this and wanted to throw that input here that a different looking handle would be nice... for me at least. The 3.05" blade (per knifecenter I think) also has me slightly reluctant since there's a 3" knife law in the cities in my area so if the blade could be shortened a mm or 2 that would be great.

I've got a lot of ideas what I think the handle would look cool with (for me) as I feel the wharn blade is a great user and ti handles can be a little scratchy for EDC. IMO at least. I actually like the non-brushed/polished metal handles for EDC just fine as they don't show scratches as much as it looks more like "added character" instead of scratches (sage 2 is my current EDC, as an example).

These are only my opinions and I'm not trying to bash your designs at all. People are buying them, myself included, so you're doing things right.

Dirk, I would love to see a drop-point version of your wonderful design with a blade just under 3-inches.

Thanks for your consideration.

Dirk, I would love to see a drop-point version of your wonderful design with a blade just under 3-inches.

Thanks for your consideration.

Interesting. I might have a drawing that fits what you are looking for. I'll take a look at my files and post a jpeg when I find it.

Back