RoseCraft Knives

Some knives are just so hard to get these days especially a good Barlow so I took a chance and got 2 RCB's the Loosahatchie Jack and the Beaver Creek Barlow
I'm impressed with both knives definitely a lot better than Case and RR and the FF is right up there with Boker and GEC yes I said it hope they make another Barlow soon and an HJ would be nice :D

rcbpair.JPG

Some knives are just so hard to get these days especially a good Barlow so I took a chance and got 2 RCB's the Loosahatchie Jack and the Beaver Creek Barlow
I'm impressed with both knives definitely a lot better than Case and RR and the FF is right up there with Boker and GEC yes I said it hope they make another Barlow soon and an HJ would be nice :D

View attachment 2243141
Just got my Beaver Creek Barlow delivered a couple hours ago. As far as I can tell so far, there are absolutely no flaws. Pretty impressive regardless of country of manufacture. The pull has set a new standard for "perfect" in my book. RCB just keeps knocking my socks off.

I agree with your comparisons, and would say that folks who would scoff probably haven't handled one. I've seen more flaws on knives that cost six times what these do.

I have never handled one, but they just look quality. :thumbsup:
I believe I have five of them now. Beaver Creek Barlow, Loosahatchie Jack, Holston River Surgeon's Knife, Clinch River Swayback, and theIr Appalachian Jack. They all seem tough and solidly built but refined at the same time.

I think they're all great blendings of form and function and am excited to see what they put out next. Additionally, I'm eager to see them introduce some more variation into the covers, as all of mine are covered in either black micarta or some variation of orange bone. I'm not complaining - I just think that whatever material they use, they'll probably use it well and I'd like to see that.

View attachment 2243141
Well Frank you convinced me. I just ordered one of the barlow’s 😀.

Weird shield. I never understood why RR couldn’t just make straight up clones of traditional patterns. Every one of them has to be needlessly “different” in some way. If Rosecraft aims closer to “historically correct” I’d definitely consider picking some up.

The jack knife just got here. Everything is good with it, but I'm not digging the color variation of the bone. If it was more gradual, it'd be OK. But at the bottom its pretty pronounced. It looks like a bright stripe in middle of darker bone. The back looks good and there's no gaps anywhere. I'm just nitpicking I guess. Just wanted to post just in case some are contemplating picking one up.
View attachment 2218710View attachment 2218711View attachment 2218712View attachment 2218713

I really like the pattern in those bone scales, beautiful!

Well mine came today and it’s impressive! Excellent fit and finish that’s on par with or better than imho any traditional factory barlow in production. Really nice walk and talk, back spring is flush in all three positions, well matched handles, centered blade, stout pull and very sharp right out of the box. For just under $60 if you are a fan of barlows buy one you won’t be disappointed. I’m hoping that there will be more handle choices in the future. 😃
View attachment 2247566

Well mine came today and it’s impressive! Excellent fit and finish that’s on par with or better than imho any traditional factory barlow in production. Really nice walk and talk, back spring is flush in all three positions, well matched handles, centered blade, stout pull and very sharp right out of the box. For just under $60 if you are a fan of barlows buy one you won’t be disappointed. I’m hoping that there will be more handle choices in the future. 😃
View attachment 2247566
Glad you found it to your liking.... I really enjoy mine..... It's nice to receive a knife that is shaving sharp!!

Hmm...

Rosecraft is a personal brand of former SMKW Rough Ryder designer Andy Armstrong. In my opinion, it shows who was responsible for some weird details in RRs, and I hope that RR knives will be more traditional since he left.

late to the game here, but I was looking at R8chell's post thinking "man, those look like Rough Ryders".
Confirmed by Alex.

Too weird for me- it's what I hated about the RR's.
Too bad.

late to the game here, but I was looking at R8chell's post thinking "man, those look like Rough Ryders".
Confirmed by Alex.

Too weird for me- it's what I hated about the RR's.
Too bad.
One man's "weird" is another man's "unique" I guess. 🤷

I've looked and looked and don't see anything too "weird" about RCB's traditional offerings. They open, they close, they cut, pulls are good across all I've handled, fit and finish is above board, etc. In fact, I regularly see much "weirder" choices coming from much higher-end brands, for instance:

- Weird saber grinds on some Northwoods models.
- Weird through-hole openers on some Northwoods and Cases.
- Weird TQUs (Tools of Questionable Utility) from a variety of makers including GEC, Napanoch, and more.
- Weird manufacturing inconsistencies including large gaps, blade play, blade rap, uncentered blades, unsharpened blades, off-centered grinds, bizarrely heavy (and light) pulls, shoddy hafting, and more from various manufacturers
- Weird shields from a variety of manufacturers including bananas, drugs, whales, phalluses, etc.
- Weird billboard-like blade etches of inscrutable meanings, deep collectors' club blade engravings, etc.
- Weird steels like Magnacut, M390, CPM 154, S35VN, and laughably soft stainless from a variety of manufacturers.
-and even weirder!

My only real gripe with RCB is their lack of carbon steel blade options. IMO, some of their designs would look real nice with a deep, dark patina. Other than that, no complaints. What's not to like?

I have to agree here... Many of these designs are really neat... Functional and attractive. Nice to see someone thinking outside the box.

It took me a while to choose only one, to be honest, because i like a few. Finally did make a choice and will hopefully order it after Monday's Holliday.

I know! that saw thing?!? Yikes.

Back