Sawnee - W.A. Surls Frontier edc

I wanted to start a dialogue on Allen's new EDC styled model from his Frontier series of knives. I may add more as time permits, but here are a couple of quick pics that may help some in deciding on this model.

Like a recent Rustamuk purchase, I told myself as soon as I unwrapped this Sawnee that it will remain in the collection indefinitely. I immediately drew comparisons with the Fiddleback Forge Bushboot. The Bushboot is one that suits me well as an EDC style knife but also with enough length to carry on the trails for a smaller and lighter fixed blade. The photo below you may be able to see the similarities and differences between the two.

What I like about the Sawnee, other than the Frontier styling, is the taller blade and lack of a pronounced guard that you find on the Bushboot. I like larger guards on some knives, but smaller knives like this find that they get in the way and reduce the effective cutting length. There is also a little more belly on the Sawnee. The hemp wrapped bolster offers a different texture and grippiness. I like it. The epoxy can get gummy looking on some, but I think Allen did it very well on this knife. The one area where the Bushboot is favorable over the Sawnee is the handle length. The larger handed folks may find the Sawnee on the smaller side. I can squeeze into large Mechanix gloves, so you may get an idea on size from the in-hand shot below.

No regrets on this knife purchase and I see many years of enjoyment from it. If you see a Sawnee that you like, I would not hesitate to try for it.

Sawnee
Ironwood over black liners with white pinstripe
Flat ground on 1/8" A2 SFT CurlyQ
7 1/2" OAL including curlyQ and 3 1/4" blade

32245836093_62049f7228_c.jpg

33061381975_6fb4a960c0_c.jpg

32679230960_8715f87093_c.jpg

Thank you for this. Especially the comparison with the Bushboot. Helps a lot - this is the one Frontier model I don't have.

Nice pictures. I think I'd like a Sawnee considering that I love the Bushboot.

Thank you for this. Especially the comparison with the Bushboot. Helps a lot - this is the one Frontier model I don't have.

Looks like u changed that status in a hurry!

Edit: looks like you let nbrackett have it... good on you !

Thanks for posting this... not that I wouldn't have bought it anyways lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen.

I wanted that curly q Sawnee from yesterday, I like mine that much. But there are too many cool people here to be greedy, and I know some of you swoon over Osage.

Just to caution anyone trying to make this one fit in a leather sheath made specifically for a Bushboot... You might pop a stitch or two and will have to find the super glue ;)

Great post FG. When it went up I was like, why couldn't he have waited another 30 mins before posting this. I was thinking it would spark more interest before I could get the one I wanted. Yes I know, I was being selfish.

I'll add some pics with my Bushboot, Revenant EDC and Sawnee when it arrives if that's ok with you.

Excellent info, thanks Feral! I was fortunate enough to shark one last week and am anxiously awaiting its arrival! Not sure if you saw Heesoo's squirrel pic from yesterday, but that pretty much sums up my expression the first time I saw that little beauty ;-)

Great post FG. When it went up I was like, why couldn't he have waited another 30 mins before posting this. I was thinking it would spark more interest before I could get the one I wanted. Yes I know, I was being selfish.

I'll add some pics with my Bushboot, Revenant EDC and Sawnee when it arrives if that's ok with you.
Please do. Your two are a matching set right?

Excellent info, thanks Feral! I was fortunate enough to shark one last week and am anxiously awaiting its arrival! Not sure if you saw Heesoo's squirrel pic from yesterday, but that pretty much sums up my expression the first time I saw that little beauty ;-)
That's how I usually look when I score a knife :)

You got another one in desert ironwood if I remember right. I think you'll really like it.

Man, these are beautiful. Even the BB.

I can't decide between revenant edc or brisbee next. The picture with the edc and sawnee is helpful.

I'm really digging the Sawnee. As awesome as the Curly Q is, I think one without would make an excellent (possibly perfect) EDC. Heespharm's is absolutely stunning.

Made a sheath for mine... not my favorite but I was trying to create a vertebrae look with stamps

1eb10de389bee7aa8133838de1add08d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back