Scales for drop forged knives

I see videos of paracord wrapped CS forged steel knives, but has anyone made other types of wraps or scales? I am considering media blasting the teflon coating off the handle and epoxy bonding aluminum or something which I have textured.

I used shrink tubing, the type that has glue on the inside. You just need the tubing in the right diameter, cut it to length and then use a heat gun. Works perfect on my drop forged hunter and you can easily remove it with a razorblade.

I see videos of paracord wrapped CS forged steel knives, but has anyone made other types of wraps or scales? I am considering media blasting the teflon coating off the handle and epoxy bonding aluminum or something which I have textured.
If I really wanted to change the scales with something like nice wooden grips, I’d just choose a trustworthy knifemaker here. Lots of talented folks here who could help out.

The faux stag scales on the Drop Forged Bowie (#36MK) actually provide a nice, non slip grip. They are textured to feel like dried bone and have an uneven surface that gives the pads of your fingers some traction. I like them just fine as is!

CS36MK_1.jpg

Last edited:
What I did with my DF Bowie with the 6.75" blade:

Before:

SnvFPwO.jpg

After:

VIdGmvP.jpg

CSyv0l7.jpg

FmOPH81.jpg

I've also done the same thing with my DF Hunter, but I don't have any pics yet.
I like it. How did you go about removing that top guard?

Cutoff blade on a grinder, then polished it on my 2x72 grinder. It wasn't a RMK-level quality job, but it will work for me.

Thanks!
These knives are so awesome and such a great value. I don’t mind getting experimental but I like to see what people do before I start tinkering. Doesn’t have to be perfect, just functional. Thanks!

That CS Drop Forged Bowie handle is probably one of the worst handles I've ever felt that I can recall. It's not very big around and it's not very long. The cord wrap does a good job of filling it in and the upper guard removal really helps with getting the thumb over the top when needed. It's like a different knife!

Good luck with yours - and don't forget the pics! We luvs pics around here!

That CS Drop Forged Bowie handle is probably one of the worst handles I've ever felt that I can recall. It's not very big around and it's not very long. The cord wrap does a good job of filling it in and the upper guard removal really helps with getting the thumb over the top when needed. It's like a different knife!

Good luck with yours - and don't forget the pics! We luvs pics around here!
yep its kinda thin and the angle doesn't help either in that regard as a user and not a weapon.

I dont own the newer 9 inch, so maybe the inserts fill it out and make it better...course much longer blade so not apples to apples.

yep its kinda thin and the angle doesn't help either in that regard as a user and not a weapon.

I dont own the newer 9 inch, so maybe the inserts fill it out and make it better...course much longer blade so not apples to apples.
Enough that I purchased 3 of them! I liked the original smaller version too. In fact I wish they would release that one in dark grey with the faux stag scales as well.

CS36MK_2.jpg

The new DF Bodies are a winner! I bought one for my sons and it is an awesome blade! Just like the DF Survivalist, the scales feel good and solid in hand. No complaints other than the faux Stag look, if that bothers some one. I actually think it'll look good with the blade stripped and cold blued.

I like this knife. I have the new DF Survivalist. The handle size a scales are excellent. I would buy the new DF Bowie, but my palms are 11" in circumference. I have doubts as to whether the handle is long enough for my hands. If anyone has any input on that subject, please let me know.

I like this knife. I have the new DF Survivalist. The handle size a scales are excellent. I would buy the new DF Bowie, but my palms are 11" in circumference. I have doubts as to whether the handle is long enough for my hands. If anyone has any input on that subject, please let me know.
I have seen photos of this knife where the handle had a cord wrap that added additional thickness making it more comfortable particularly to individuals with larger sized hands such as yours. It looked much nicer too.

Thanks for the input. I looked up the knife weights on Cold Steel's website. The new Survivalist is literally twice as heavy as the DF Bowie. That means the DF Bowie must be an extremely thin knife. That's not exactly a good quality for a Bowie knife. I'd sooner buy a 2nd Drop Forged Survivalist. Cold Steel experiments a lot with knives. Some experiments are good, others are awful. For example, I've wanted their Drop Forged Hunter for some time. I don't have enough small fixed blades. They could put useable handle scales on it, but they haven't in like 4-5 years. They eventually turned the Drop Forged Survivalist into a great knife, after a long time with no handle scales. I suspect they'll eventually make the Drop Forged Hunter a good knife as well. I'm not sure the Drop Forged Bowie will ever be good. I remember watching a video of Lynn Thompson explaining how it's extremely difficult to make large drop forged knives. Hopefully, they'll figure it out.

Thanks for the input. I looked up the knife weights on Cold Steel's website. The new Survivalist is literally twice as heavy as the DF Bowie. That means the DF Bowie must be an extremely thin knife. That's not exactly a good quality for a Bowie knife. I'd sooner buy a 2nd Drop Forged Survivalist. Cold Steel experiments a lot with knives. Some experiments are good, others are awful. For example, I've wanted their Drop Forged Hunter for some time. I don't have enough small fixed blades. They could put useable handle scales on it, but they haven't in like 4-5 years. They eventually turned the Drop Forged Survivalist into a great knife, after a long time with no handle scales. I suspect they'll eventually make the Drop Forged Hunter a good knife as well. I'm not sure the Drop Forged Bowie will ever be good. I remember watching a video of Lynn Thompson explaining how it's extremely difficult to make large drop forged knives. Hopefully, they'll figure it out.
Drop Forged Bowie actually weighs 14.5 oz. very quick in the hand and same thickness as the Survivalist.

Back