• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad SCAM - Ideological Falsehood - PP F&F

Status
Not open for further replies.
People should venture away from the Exchange periodically to see what's going on. This has been happening for a while - that's why there have been site posted warnings, profile posts closed to registered members, warnings posted in ads, people choosing to allow communication via PM only, etc. There have been dozens of threads about these scams, yet nobody has a clue until they get the email themselves.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

"I will repeat the forum and PayPal rules - Do not send Friends and Family payments for Goods or Services. It can get your account suspended, and the customer has no recourse for a refund. It is also dishonest. Your reputation is all that separates you from anyone else in the knife world. Don't tarnish it over a few % in fees and taxes."

No disrespect intended... but where does it say that a BF member could be suspended if they use F&F?

I haven't seen or heard of even one instance of this happening on BF. And I doubt it will happen, because that is what should have happened already instead of shutting down access to Profile posting. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Last edited:
N nighthawk86

I would presume he's referring to Paypal terms of service on account suspensions, I didn't read his response in any way referring to BF actioning a member for F&F.

"I will repeat the forum and PayPal rules - Do not send Friends and Family payments for Goods or Services. It can get your account suspended, and the customer has no recourse for a refund. It is also dishonest. Your reputation is all that separates you from anyone else in the knife world. Don't tarnish it over a few % in fees and taxes."

No disrespect intended... but where does it say that a BF member could be suspended if they use F&F?

I haven't seen or heard of even one instance of this happening on BF. And I doubt it will happen, because that is what should have happened already instead of shutting down access to Profile posting. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.
I think he means the PP account

I would presume he's referring to Paypal terms of service on account suspensions, I didn't read his response in any way referring to BF actioning a member for F&F.
Not an unreasonable assumption; however, the way he stated it using the word 'and' rather than a comma, could easily be interpreted to mean that he was referring to BF rules, as well Paypal rules.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" - Winston Churchill

Yup. Same here.

Sometimes, when the sale thread isn't "PPFF ONLY", I will post something along the lines of "I'll use PP G&S though I can take care of your fees". It's then up to the seller what they want to do. If they refuse then cool (though I have to wonder as to why).

Jair é um excelente cavalheiro e um criador excepcional… tivemos muitas transações ao longo dos anos e todas passaram sem problemas.

De forma alguma é culpa de Jair….adicionar taxas de 4% e usar Bens e Serviços se assim desejar….Nunca me queimei.
Obrigado meu amigo pelas amáveis palavras.🙌😁

Sellers asking for PayPal F&F have helped to spawn a whole new generation of thieves targeting buyers on the knife exchange. The fear of sellers possibly owing a few more dollars in taxes by using G&S has inadvertently caused buyers to now lose hundreds. Just like using F&F became a herd mentality on bladeforums, perhaps sellers will eventually go back to G&S, protect the transaction, and learn to fill out a few simple lines on the tax returns. Buyers are now paying the price for this fiasco, and hopefully, most of them will learn from their mistakes, and not get burned twice.

Sellers asking for PayPal F&F have helped to spawn a whole new generation of thieves targeting buyers on the knife exchange. The fear of sellers possibly owing a few more dollars in taxes by using G&S has inadvertently caused buyers to now lose hundreds. Just like using F&F became a herd mentality on bladeforums, perhaps sellers will eventually go back to G&S, protect the transaction, and learn to fill out a few simple lines on the tax returns. Buyers are now paying the price for this fiasco, and hopefully, most of them will learn from their mistakes, and not get burned twice.
Its not even the taxes. At least for now, the IRS have put that rule on hold and PP isn't issuing the relevant forms.

Honestly, I think its either about the fees or just people scamming.

Must be frustrating attending such threads and waching them repeat day after day.

I share the sentiment. There's a giant banner at the top of the forum telling users in no uncertain terms NOT to use PPFF and people just do it anyway.

The way I see it, PPFF is for friends and family. If you know someone on here or if you've transacted with them and trust them then cool. Otherwise, its just committing fraud whilst also giving up your recourse.

Here in Brazil, a transfer tool called PIX was recently developed. The aim was to facilitate the movement of money into individuals' accounts through their own banking applications, without the need for processing or bank fees (in short).

Guess if the number of cell phone clonings hasn't exploded?? The bastards send SMS with links that clone messaging apps and ask to borrow money as if they were you, to resolve an emergency but which they would return within a few hours.

In other words, they no longer need to directly defraud your bank account or payment methods, just borrow money from your mother, brother, friend. What some people are doing, for example, is saving the name without identification in their contact lists... not saving "father", or "love", or "my sweetheart".. and always deleting the message history to that in case of cloning, the scoundrel doesn't know who is who.

So, yes, they are "working hard", we have to be increasingly vigilant.

Its not even the taxes. At least for now, the IRS have put that rule on hold and PP isn't issuing the relevant forms.

Honestly, I think its either about the fees or just people scamming.

I share the sentiment. There's a giant banner at the top of the forum telling users in no uncertain terms NOT to use PPFF and people just do it anyway.

The way I see it, PPFF is for friends and family. If you know someone on here or if you've transacted with them and trust them then cool. Otherwise, its just committing fraud whilst also giving up your recourse.
Fed may be on hold, but several states have been doing it for years.

Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Fed may be on hold, but several states have been doing it for years.
I don't know about that. My state(s) would likely be the first in line for this and I've seen literally nothing of the sort. Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere but I would expect either state I've lived in to have this in place and I've not seen it.

If this were the case, wouldn’t the mods be shutting down every sale thread that said PayPal FF? There are quite a few. Come to think of it, why is it allowed at all if there is a sticky saying not to do it? I’m confused.

If this were the case, wouldn’t the mods be shutting down every sale thread that said PayPal FF? There are quite a few. Come to think of it, why is it allowed at all if there is a sticky saying not to do it? I’m confused.
Because Spark Spark has made it a strong recommendation, not an ironclad rule. He is allowing people to make their own decisions...and, as a result, accept the consequences of those choices...as adults are generally expected to do, historically.

Do I wish some things were different? Sometimes. But our skin in the game ends with the time we invest, personally. We have no financial investment as far as running the business is concerned, and that weight rests on Spark's shoulders alone.

I think the mods are doing a good job and should be thanked more (thank you for all the hard work, mods).

I am glad the mods have not decided to outright ban everything they (or I) might personally find inadvisable, distasteful or dangerous. They have been very principled in their restraint. I also appreciate that the mods have gone out of their way to make sure site patrons are aware of the risks. Seems to me like they have struck a pretty fair balance.

I certainly hate seeing people get taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back