Scandi grind Framelock Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take some time to work on it after the Blade Show this weekend. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reminder.

Dan

I would be really interested in seeing this also. And 300$ IMO is very reasonable.

I'm going to schedule some time with some folder makers...maybe make a few connections here at the Blade Show and get this thing DONE in 2010! :thumbup:

Dan

My all time favorite production folder is the Ed ED Schempp Spyderco Barong. If it was assisted opening it would be the perfect pocket folder in my mind. I think it would be great to do something similar with a nessmuk sweep upwards and wider blade. It would be cool to provide a scandi and ffg like your first nessmuk prototypes.

Ok - I have a drawing to look at.

Keep in mind - the things chosen in this design reflect hours/months/years of pondering that I have done regarding a folder of my own make - something that would be feasible given the tools/processes/skills I already have, be reasonable in cost, be simple in design and use....and most importantly, be fun for me to make.

Here's what I insist upon:

• framelock design (not interested in other lock designs)
  • "secondary lock" ensured by a thumbstud (every folder I have held with this feature has been solid as a rock, so there must be something to it)
  • large enough handle to make it usable (full size handle)
  • large enough blade to make it usable (bush-worthy)
  • 0.125-0.135" thick blade - large enough for a scand grind, thin enough to be light and easy to sharpen
  • one side titanium, one side handle material

I am open to suggestions on blade type (whether more drop-point or more spear-point), blade material (I would like it to be 3V), handle materials, overall length, handle height, handle thickness, contouring vs. chamfered handle slabs, overall weight/balance.....as well as any other practical suggestions that would help make the knife function better.

Here's the drawing:

attachment.php

And here's a drawing showing the CAD file from the 2009 Bushcraft (in red) - for size comparison:

attachment.php

Let me know what you think - make suggestions at will...never hurts to ask, right?

I haven't been completely clear in disclosing everything bouncing around in my head....a few good questions might help draw that out.

Thanks for your interest, guys!

:thumbup:

Dan

Attachments

• ScandiFolder4.gif
    ScandiFolder4.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 289
  • ScandiFolder5.gif
    ScandiFolder5.gif
    7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
And now with a backspacer in there for handle comfort. Yes it will have to be cleaned out now-n-then...but a quick swab with a q-tip is not a big deal if you ask me. ;)

Dan

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScandiFolder6.gif
    ScandiFolder6.gif
    7 KB · Views: 286
for the unimaginative....LOL

attachment.php

(one side)

Dan

Attachments

• ScandiFolder7.gif
    ScandiFolder7.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 285
I like it Dan! Be great if you used 0-1 or 3-V!

OD green G-10 for the handle and backspacer if used.

Blade design profile looks great to me. I'm just not a spearpoint lover. Penetrator tip would be trick as well.

I like the thumbstud locking thing. I never noticed that on any knives before but great idea.

I'd buy one just like that but if the design would still work with the handle you picture, and a blade with a slightly straighter back like the Enzo liner lock scandi would be really cool.

enzo2.jpg

My only complaint about the Enzo is that it's liner lock and that the knife is a bit small. If yours was more around the size of the Microtech pictured it would be perfect:thumbup:

The blade is 75mm on the Enzo I think the Mt is 3.5 or slightly more
mtenzo.jpg

The knife is around 8" overall length.

Here's another pic with the lock area updated:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScandiFolder8.gif
    ScandiFolder8.gif
    7 KB · Views: 281
here's one with more of a drop-point....less of a spear-point

and I made it a full 8" in length overall (opened).

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScandiFolder-10.gif
    ScandiFolder-10.gif
    7 KB · Views: 400
And now with a striker tip:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScandiFolder-11.gif
    ScandiFolder-11.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 403
Status