Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Codger, what is your opinion of the new generational model made in the USA? I like the looks of it , but have not seen one in person.
Thanks

I'm not Codger, but I got a generational 152 for Christmas and like it. The scales are thinner than the old sharpfingers but I don't think too thin. I've already dressed out a deer with it. Worked great (of course). I got one of the Bear and Sons sharpfinger copies recently also and it seems perfectly servicable (dressed a deer with that one also). The scales on that one are thicker than the old sharpfingers - still ok, but kind of thick and blocky. I could post some pics of all three together.

I'm not Codger, but I got a generational 152 for Christmas and like it. The scales are thinner than the old sharpfingers but I don't think too thin. I've already dressed out a deer with it. Worked great (of course). I got one of the Bear and Sons sharpfinger copies recently also and it seems perfectly servicable (dressed a deer with that one also). The scales on that one are thicker than the old sharpfingers - still ok, but kind of thick and blocky. I could post some pics of all three together.
Pics would be great. Thanks

We all like Pitchers of knives on this forum... Ken.
source

B]

Last edited:
ok, here are some pics. you can see how much thinner the scales are on the new generational sharpfinger. also, the scales on the Bear and Son knife seem much thicker than the original USA Schrade version but it must just be that they are blockier with less rounded edges because the profile seems similar.

you can see that my generational sharpfinger is already tarnished as I've been using it. The only "issue" with the generational sharpfinger is that the keeper strap on the sheath was too tight and/or slightly off center or something. Out of the box I could not get it to snap with the blade in the sheath. I rubbed a bunch of neatsfoot oil on it and heated it up a little and put the knife handle into it upside down (so the blade was sticking up and not down into the sheath). Then I slid the knife handle up so that a wider part of the handle was within the strap to try to stretch it extra and let it sit like this for a while, while occasionally heating it with the hair dryer. Anyways, the strap does fit now but it's still not easy to do one handed while on your belt.

anyways, you can see the slight differences between the blades and sheaths in the pics. oh and I got my original sharpfinger used many years ago. My dad found it in a car he was scrapping and gave it to me. It didn't have a sheath so I made a sheath for it. I remember I tried to copy the shape of the factory sheath but don't remember how I knew what the original looked like. Seems like this would have been before I would have thought to find info like this on the internet so maybe I went to walmart or sporting goods store and asked to see a sheath.

Sharpfinger box text changed from time to time. Note the end flap descriptions and the deletion of the "A Sharp Idea" banner. The banner box has an address: "Route 209 N., Ellenville" seen in flyers and catalogs - 1986 – 1993. The bannerless box has an address: "7 Schrade Court, Ellenville" seen in flyers and catalogs - 1994-2000. It also has the "Schrade Tough" logo on the side which was first seen in 1997. These details help define the years in which their knives were produced.

Last edited:
Here is a new-to-me oddity. Limited Edition Schrade POW/MIA knife in a lasered oak box. The knife itself has no etch on the stainless 502SC blade, no shield or art on the smooth black Delrin handle, only the box lid laser engraving to denote the topic being commemorated. It came with no papers or packaging, so few hints as to it's origins. Who was the customer and when? Engraved inside is "1 of 50", just one for each of the states. Anyone seen another or have one?

As to the above POW/MIA knife, it looks to have been produced concurrent with the laser boxed Ducks Unlimited states issues which I am also lacking production info on. Except for the lasered art and text, the boxes are the same. The knives also are the same 502SC blades without shields on the black Delrin handles, but with blade etches added. Of the four of those issues I own, none have had paperwork or anything else to narrow down the production date.

When Camillus closed in February of 2007, their I.P. was purchased by Acme United. Recently a Camillus/Western branded Sharpfinger clone (#19161) has appeared on the market marked Western and Crosstrail. Touted to have blades of "bonded titanium and Stainless steel", they have faux stag molded handles and are made in China. I have acquired one to examine and the quality is not the best given the MSRP of about $25 and common secondary market sales at around $10 - $15 NIP. To date I have seen them only in clampacks, not boxes. Blade steel described as "420 Stainless".

Ugly as...Camillus made some quality/attractive bladeware through the years...sadly that is not one.....Chinese claims on steel strength must be taken on trust....they get our good Aussie Iron Ore and do 'Special' things with it to 'create' their steel....always have.....Hoo Roo

with his passing wouldn't it be nice to see Herman's collection
Sorry but i dont think Ole Herman was keeping much... I should know.I had been buying alot.(since 2010)He was always going digging deep in boxes for me.. I sure do miss him.. He was always there helping me along customizing all those schrade patterns...Was always good to hear him tell me my stuff looked good! He was a true MASTER!

Another one new to me. True Value Hardware MM152. This one has the custom stamp but stock Old Timer shield and no etch.

I already had the other two variants. One with only the bold "Master Mechanic" logo etch and one with both custom stamp and custom "Master Mechanic" shield.

A fourth variant recently seen, custom MM152 tangstamp but a blank shield.

This was my fourth Herman Williams customized Sharpfinger knife. Mr. Williams produced and marked it in 2016. 152OT Sharpfinger, 2016 lapis blue carved bone, no filework.

This was my fifth Herman Williams customized Sharpfinger knife. Mr. Williams produced and marked it in 2014. 152OT Sharpfinger, 2014 Williams signature Sambar Stag with custom shield. The late production blade likely unmarked stainless, no filework. Just beautiful in it's simplicity to my eye!

Last edited:
Back