Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Another special issue Sharpfinger is the 152OTO knife with hunter orange Delrin handle and “LIMITED EDITION” shield. It was commissioned by Smokey Mountain Knife Works circa 1991 for inclusion in their "father and son" hunting sets with the 165OTO "DEERHUNTER", 15OTO "LIMITED EDITION", and 158OTO with an "OLD TIMER" shield. The original production 152OTO most often are found with sheaths having a deer head image embossed on the front. Quite a number of these orange handled knives appeared for sale after the Schrade closing, so they are unique, but not really rare. These used the 1095HC carbon steel blades and had the standard "Schrade USA 152" tangstamp. “Father and Son” sets (152OTO and 15OTO) were again offered in 1998 with the ad copy stating there were 3,000 pieces made. These Orange handled Sharpfingers had plain ground blades, but some knives seen have the later post-July 2001 hollow ground blades showing a subsequent order was placed by SMKW or another large retailer between then and July of 2004.

upload to album

Last edited:
Another new one to me. A 158OTDU made for Ducks Unlimited featuring a buck deer art etch! I have little information on this one except that it used black Delrin handles, Ducks Unlimited stamped shield and a plain ground pre August 2001 blade. It was not accompanied with papers or packaging to help with dating. The 158OT Guthook pattern was made from 1988 through 2004 with it's first use as a Scrimshaw SC518 in 1990.

Here is a special event enhancement set produced in 1995 for U. S. Tobacco, one of four different venue sets. UST95CSO Cope Skoal Outdoors, cased 3pc. Set, 242 pcs. all knives in the sets were birdseye maple Fibron with brass bolsters and pins in a glass top walnut presentation box. There were 242 sets made for this UST sponsored venue.

A seldom seen and little recognized variant of the Sharpfinger produced in the mid 1990's by Imperial in Listowel, Ireland the Apex Wilderness series 8" skinner knife. Just 3/4" longer than the Schrade Sharpfinger, it utilized a heavily textured molded Dupont Zytel handle and "INOX" stainless blade. The tangstamp is Imperial... Ireland... Stainless... with no pattern number.

I've first seen the Apex series noted in the 1989 catalog with the introduction of a group of folders and lockbacks as well as three patterns of rigid blades;
AP12 7 1/4" Drop Point, AP15 10" Fillet, AP16 11" Fillet. In 1996 they added the AP13 Skinner and the AP14 Serrated blade. MSRP on the AP13 was only $15.95 and they don't bring much more than that now, twenty years later even when found in new in the box or clampack condition.

I'll make no prediction as to future collectability, but in my opinion this knife represents a bargain in useability and seems quite durable judging from the materials used and generous ten year warranty offered.

Imperial Apex AP13 b.jpgImperial Apex AP13 d.jpgImperial Apex AP13 tang.jpg

Just got a brand new one out of my friend's garage:
IMG_0850.jpeg
Another knife saved. She just needs a little love.
Anyone have an idea on it's approximate manufacturing date?

Just got a brand new one out of my friend's garage:
View attachment 2194674
Another knife saved. She just needs a little love.
Anyone have an idea on it's approximate manufacturing date?
Good find! They weren’t dated as some brands were. The type style of the stamp gives a broad range but unfortunately I can’t see yours. Before 2001 is all I can say at this point.

The easiest type face change to see is the "1" in "152". In the earlier years it is full serif, top and bottom. Then in the 90's it briefly became no-serif, and lastly in the late 90's through 2004, top serif only.1991 tangstamp.jpg1 1985 photosample.jpg

Last Tangstamp Closeup.jpg

Your find really doesn't look that bad. Polish or give it a good deep kitchen patina (It's good old 1095HC Carbon steel), then give it a good toothy 30 degree bevel (inclusive) edge. The rod or stone will only contact about what you see on these stamp examples. Below is an enlarged POV of the factory edge from the late 1980's. "ACA" as it was referred to was an edge type. "Acute Cutting Action". Almost micro-serrations.
ACA Edge 1996.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks friend for the info. I will not go to crazy cleaning her up.

I offered it back after I clean it up back to my friend who's garage I found it in as her son and his wife hunt.

She told me to keep it.

Last edited:
Thanks friend for the info. I will not go to crazy cleaning her up.

I offered it back after I clean it up back to my friend who's garage I found it in as her son and his wife hunt.

She told me to keep it.
BethAnn you know tools and their use and care. I think you will find this one most useful as I have. Below is my original Sharpfinger bought in the mid 1970's and used regularly in the years since. The piercing tip is still near perfect because I knew not to pry with it or use it as a screwdriver. Dozens of deer, ducks, fish and other game has been processed, camp and canoe ropes cut, etc. But with judicious sharpening, the blade is none the worse for the wear.Original Sharpfinger.JPG

Last edited:
You give me too much credit.

I will be as gentle as I cam removing the rust. I will look online for a sheaf. I might buy a Chines 152 just for the sheaf and put the knife in plastic paring, knife, blade saver and toss it into my fly fishing bag.

You give me too much credit.

I will be as gentle as I can removing the rust. I will look online for a sheaf. I might buy a Chines 152 just for the sheaf and put the knife in plastic paring, knife, blade saver and toss it into my fly fishing bag.
The Chinese ballistic nylon sheaths are frequently sold cheap on the bay, solo without having to buy the imported knife they were made for. And the nylon is not water-holding like the leather ones. Several styles of Kydex sheaths can also be found for them cheap.Schrade Knives Ad 1974 Art.jpg
TBLLC Sheath.jpg

Soaked my 152 in WD40 for two days:
IMG_0888.jpeg
Then to day I got the rotary tool out:IMG_0917.jpeg
Got the bad rust off:
IMG_0921.jpegIMG_0922.jpegIMG_0919.jpeg

Now I have to get the stones out and give her a little sharpening. I have not sharpened knives with this blade shape. I will consult BF or YouTube.

Last edited:
Soaked my 152 in WD40 for two days:
View attachment 2202031
Then to day I got the rotary tool out:View attachment 2202032
Got the bad rust off:
View attachment 2202033View attachment 2202034View attachment 2202038

Now I have to get the stones out and give her a little sharpening. I have not sharpened knives with this blade shape. I will consult BF or YouTube.
I have and old eze lap diamond rod that I used on mine. I always had problems at the base of the blade because of the curve

I have and old eze lap diamond rod that I used on mine. I always had problems at the base of the blade because of the curve
Thanks! I have found some videos on sharping it. I have a pruner that has a similar blade shape.

Yes friends I know it is a diffident grind?angle. Just going to see if I can handle the curve.

I need to do more work on it. IMG_0969.jpeg
I have a Sharpton Glass kit which I think I will have time this weekend to use.

Also I have a paring knife sheath, that I will modify to fit.

You're getting there. FYI, I use an old style Gerber diamond pocket rod on mine.Gerber Diamond Rod.jpg

Question please Codger, if I may.....I use a 154OT Drop Point when fishing to cut squid etc...its very sharp and I find its easier <for me> to place my thumb anywhere along the Drop Point blade to cut rather than use my 152OT Sharpfinger....I know you're a Sharpfinger 'Disciple' however what are your thoughts on using a Drop Point?....as an aside, many of the various USA Schrade mint knives I had set aside for ""the future"",.. I now find I'm using on a daily basis <not just my Schrade Fishing Knives which I have always put to use>..and really enjoying using the different Schrade Patterns for their intended purposes, rather than sitting in their original box's waiting for an occasional wipe...I also have a much greater appreciation now of the thought/reasons the Baers and their Staff had put into their knives, before Production...USA Schrade Bladeware forever.....Hoo Roo

Back