Sell my Benchmades? Move on to better knives?

Like a lot of us here. My first big step into the higher spectrum of knives started with a benchmade. Large Griptilian sheepsfoot to be specific. I was hooked by the action and smoothness. I bought a few more after it (North fork & Freek) It was until i went to ZT & CRK that I started to think differently about my Benchmades. I started to read about their quality control issues. I notice they are all off center and just not quite perfect enough for me. Once i went up to the ZT & Sebenza i became spoiled with the perfection. I'm having a tough time deciding if i should sell all 3 and step up to another 3-400 dollar knife with the perfection i'm looking for. Or maybe spend a little more money and step up to something a little better.
I do like the idea of either keeping my Freek or Grip for a higher end knife that i can beat up and not hurt any feelings

So here are my questions.

-Should i get rid of my benchmades for something with more quality that i'm used to
-What would be something in the the 3-500 dollar range other than a ZT or Sebenza that would give me that perfection. Maybe Hinderer? (i don't know exactly how expensive they are. like 600?

Reactions: Mo2
I think you're in the wrong part of the forum for this topic...

but anyhow, my $0.02 is keep your Benchmades or at least keep one of them to use for dirtier/harder tasks than your other more valuable knives like you've suggested (maybe the grip?). And while I also like and own a ZT and would love to own a sebenza one day, I have a fine appreciation for the Benchmades I own as well. Maybe take a look at a 940/943 or a valet or a 710 before you write them off. In my (limited) experience, it is my opinion that Benchmade does make great user blades - an opinion I am not alone in sharing either I believe.

If you don't need, use, or enjoy a knife that is when it is time to sell it. Should you look at replacing/upgrading your BM knives well that is really up to you. Consider would you feel comfortable using a more expensive knife the same way you use your BM knives?

there is a guide here to fix centering now. that could be very helpful for you (just do a search). you could also just send it to benchmade to fix it. if its more than just centering youll have to send it to them. if the grind is uneven send it to someone to sharpen, or sharpen it yourself. if its a burnt blade, send it back to get fixed/replaced. if its other fit and finish issues either just deal with it or send it in.

for $200+ most of these issues shouldnt be a problem, but it is. Benchmade only recently found out of the mass issues and have taken some steps to rectify the issues, like labeling boxes so when someone calls for warranty work they can follow up and hold the QC department accountable. it only works if you say something about it.

as for selling your own knives, if you use them keep them and use them. if you collect them, well, its up to you what you do with em.

if the steel isnt burnt, benchmade have good heat treat for the most part (at least from my experience). so its not like its totally useless.

but if you wanted perfect knives every time, id switch to a different brand, which btw will always have QC issues from brand to brand. its just that benchmade have a bit more issues than most, and as mentioned, they are working towards making it better.

I've thought about doing this too but knives lose too much value imo to be worth reselling (unless they're rare or highly sought), if you don't mind taking a monetary loss I'd say what else you got to lose?

Thanks for the opinions. If there is a way to move the thread i would gladly put it in the right section. I don't have issues with burnt blades or uneven grinds. The north fork does not have a smooth/effortless action. disengaging the axis lock is perfect. But the blade takes too much effort in my opinion and doesn't drop freely when released. Takes a hard flick to shut it. The Freek is almost perfect. The rubber spacers that run between the scales are off. Basically both scales don't line up straight. Again off center. The Grip is the only one that is basically perfect besides off center. So if i can fix the centering i'm halfway there. But my higher end ZT and sebenza has spoiled me to get another knife of that caliber. And that's why i'm thinking about selling. to fund a better knife. I will post pics when i get home. I love the look of the north fork that's why i bought it. But it doesn't get much use. It is a little chunky and i hate the pocket clip. But as far as collecting i would love to keep all 3. The suggestions for a higher end benchmade like a 940 is a good idea. But then again, 3 benchmades off center i would prefer to try a different higher end brand. The brands i'm interested in are WE, Al Mar, Hinderer, Lionsteel or maybe a high end spyderco like a bowie. I have two sage's and a para3 which i love.

I swear I thought for a second this was me I was reading. Haha been just were you are! A sabenza is gonna give you the lockup and centering you are looking for, no doubt about it. But sell your benchmades?? No way man... benchmades rule! You will most defenetly miss them if they are gone trust me. That's my two cents at least

BladeLE1 I have to agree with you I have never been a really big Benchmade fan but never hated them either,I purchased a Barrage 581 just because I wanted to try M390 steel and have never owned a Benchmade knife until then the 581 looks nice as far as the fit and finish go but I have never been a big fan of the G10 they use it just looks cheap to me and I do not care for the look of the type of aluminum they used for the bolsters thankfully you can buy carbon fiber scales.

Now that being said I was on DLTTrading's website and seen an exclusive Benchmade knife that only they carry it a Griptilian 551-1701 and it's a really nice knife nothing looks cheap about it very well made and has a really nice feeling in the hand plus it was 275.00 and now it's on sale for 233.00 I liked the knife so much I ordered a second one and got both at the sale price,I know Benchmade will never be my brand of choice like Hinderer and ZT but at the same time I know I will never trade these 551-1701 for anything.Also mine came with the blade centered not perfectly but very close and is smoother then butter when you flip it open.

http://www.dlttrading.com/benchmade-551-1701-griptilian

One thing is that in this hobby the willingness to buy expensive knives tends to come a bit ahead of the willingness to carry expensive knives.

The first time you pony up $90 for an entry-level Benchmade or Spyderco, you don't want to carry it because it's so nice. Then you get a ZT, and all the sudden that's in the safe, and the Benchmade or Spyderco is in your pocket.

So if you get a Sebenza, and you don't keep a cheaper knife around for a while, you'll have nothing to carry until you mentally adjust to carrying a $410+ knife.

Keep them. Wait for a while and save up for another knife you want, like another Sebenza! My wife and I both carry a Sebenza most days and there is NO WAY we would ever let go of our Spyders or Butterflies! Ya, the CR's are amazing and perfect in all ways but price. Still, we enjoy carrying other things. You need some "cheap" Benchmades around to show you why you love a Sebenza. I carried the blurpe Para today and loved it! More knives = better

One thing is that in this hobby the willingness to buy expensive knives tends to come a bit ahead of the willingness to carry expensive knives.

The first time you pony up $90 for an entry-level Benchmade or Spyderco, you don't want to carry it because it's so nice. Then you get a ZT, and all the sudden that's in the safe, and the Benchmade or Spyderco is in your pocket.

So if you get a Sebenza, and you don't keep a cheaper knife around for a while, you'll have nothing to carry until you mentally adjust to carrying a $410+ knife.
My first Spydie went right into the pocket I couldn't wait to carry and use it granted it was the Delica 4 which is ~$60-$70 and when I got my Maserin 392CN it went into my pocket and it costs ~$90 price doesn't matter that new knife is going into the pocket almost immediately for me.

-Should i get rid of my benchmades for something with more quality that i'm used to
-What would be something in the the 3-500 dollar range other than a ZT or Sebenza that would give me that perfection. Maybe Hinderer? (i don't know exactly how expensive they are. like 600?

If you're not using the Benchmades, and aren't happy with them, sell them. Might as well - they're not going to go up in value.

So a few notes if you're looking at the $300-500 range. You really shouldn't expect perfection, even in this price bracket. Knives in this range will tend to have better materials, more design/aesthetic elements, and lower production volumes (increasing collectability) but will still have issues. Take a look at Nick Shabazz's videos - he finds basic design errors and quality control issues in much more expensive knives. Hell, even his beloved Grimsmo Rask has lock stick, by his admission.

For example, you mentioned Hinderer. They're not known for their good action - most reviews say that ZT's Hinderer-designed knives are better flippers than Hinderer-brand knives. Hinderers run on washers, not bearings, which theoretically makes them more resistant to dirt and abuse, but makes them harder to flip (until broken in and dialed in, at least).

If you are looking in this range, I'd recommend looking at low volume midtech knives, like the Olamic Swish or the Hawk Orbit. The biggest advantage there is that the maker can usually tweak the action to your request. For example, Olamic will adjust the detent so the knife flips the way you want it to. That's likely your best bet at finding "perfect" knives, since you can usually get anything you don't like adjusted.

It depend on how many Benchmade you have and on what you use your knives for...

I have also reduced my number of Benchmade and I have only kept a 940-1 and a mini grip (doug ritter).
Cantering is not too bad and the knives are very slim in pocket
They are good users but definitively not high end collectibles

I am more in ZT, Spyderco and CRK at the moment

IMO Lionsteel and Olamic have knives quite interesting to me but at the moment I am more interested in looking for good user knives
Price level is not always the right indicator
A PM2 or Delica 4 are less expensive that many other knives they outperform

Maybe just like you CRK may have spoiled me ;) but rather that escalating I am now more in rationalising ;)

The first Sebenza I purchased (all were new from dealer) was delivered well off-center. What a disappointment. I requested centering checks for the next three I purchased over the years, just as I do with knives from every brand I purchase now. And while I appreciate design elements of the CRK and attention to out-of-the-box condition, all of my knives end up in pocket, which means they are never going to be pristine after the first day. My first CRK 21 had super soft steel, way inferior to any of my Benchmades. It dawned on me that, as a tool, my Benchmades were way better feature-wise in the areas that matter to me.
Over time, I have sold all my CRKs, ZTs, my Emersons, and a Strider. I've got some Golden produced Spydercos, some cool Cold Steels, a few other makers, but generally Benchmade is the "Goldilocks" knife maker for me and is in my pocket most. Maybe it will take selling what you initially enjoyed so much, buying flashier more expensive stuff, and letting your own reality-based opinions form in order to regain your initial enthusiasm. In that case, sell away.

Most of mine are Benchmades. I've sold traded and sold and traded to the point that I need very little to stay in the game. Times change, priorities dictate. I have about 35, down from many more. And many are NIB with a strong handful of regular users. I do use LifeSharp when not satisfied. Just bought a 319 Slip joint, probably the only knife to buy this year. Point is if you're not happy like Jazub and others say then sell them.

I was a long time Chris Reeve fan. I bought, used and sold at least 4 or 5 of them over the years. I've found that they have their QC issues as well and since their reputation (and their own opinion of their product) is so deservedly high it's not always easy to get them to tweak a "defect." Eventually it occurred to me that I should probably carry knives I won't be too heartbroken over if they get lost, abused or even given away. I went through a lot of Spydercos after that and now I'm discovering that Benchmades tick a couple more boxes for me aesthetically and functionally. Nothing beats a good Axis lock IMO. Also, I'm into folders these days that are lightweight and slim in the pocket, and I'm a huge fan of m390 and similar steels. Pretty much narrows it down to Benchmade. If I buy one online I ask that it be inspected before shipping and I won't hesitate to send it back to BM if it there are QC issues. That said, a small Inkosi sure looks tempting...

Reactions: 353
...I'm discovering that Benchmades tick a couple more boxes for me aesthetically and functionally. Nothing beats a good Axis lock IMO. Also, I'm into folders these days that are lightweight and slim in the pocket, and I'm a huge fan of m390 and similar steels.

I'm with you, nothing beats a well tuned axis lock.

Keep your faves, sell the rest. Broaden your horizons. Its a big knive world out there. You have only scratched the surface.

Oh, where to start? Well at the beginning, I guess....

I've carried pocket knives forever, but only got into modern folders about a decade ago. For a long time I was fine with one-hand opening Gerbers, Bucks, CRKTs, and the like. My gateway knife was a Spyderco Tenacious and it didn't take long for the gate to come off its hinges and a flood of Spydies and Benchmades followed. It took me a while to take the plunge into the CRK pool, but soon was in deep in that water, then came Hinderers, and Shiros, and numerous one-offs of various med-techs. The thing was, I still bought a few Spydies and plenty of Benchmades getting more-and-more into the old-school and disco'd models.

Fast forward to the present....

I've sold off a dozen-and-a-half or two including a several Spydies, a Hinderer, one Sebenza, one CKF, one ZT, plus the odd knife or two along the way. I dumped several "starter" knives for next-to-nothing just to tighten up. I've refined my collection but still have about 18 Spydies and two dozen BMKs to go with a few ZTs and another dozen or so in the up-to-$250 range. On top of that are a raft of CRK-and-up-level mid-techs.

The point here is that I not only very obviously like knives, but I like a great variety of knives. Just because one maker's F&F is (appropriately to price) higher than another's doesn't lessen my appreciation for any particular knife or knives. I love both my CRKs and Shiros, but they're different and I couldn't say I prefer one over the other as a whole. The same would hold true comparing, say, a Hinderer to a Benchmade. Is the Hinderer better made? Well, yeah, because of the individual work and the difference in the production process, but my Benchmades have a different design aesthetic that I really like and can't get from my Hinderers. And yeah, I love the AXIS lock too. I've sold but one of my Benchmades and really can't imagine letting any of mine go.

On any given work day, I might have my large 21 Sebenza CF in my right pocket and my original gateway combo-bladed Tenacious in another to do those things like pulling staples or running into abrasives that I wouldn't subject my CRK to (not that I baby my high-end users). I can't say that I appreciate that $35 beater any less than its mate that cost a dozen times more. They're just different things.

So, after that wall of text, your feelings for your knives are what they are and if you can give up 3-4 to buy one, well that's what you should do. I have consolidated that way somewhat, as there's little enough sense to having so many damn knives, but I'm not gonna sacrifice ones I like just because they're different from something else. YMMV.

Back