Shaping some Black Glow scales

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I'm working on my shaping handmade scales today, they are called "Black Glow." You can see how they looked after some rough shaping, they are pretty slab-like at this point. in the second part of the video they have been rounded through several grits at this point including lost of hand "shoeshine" style sanding to keep everything comfortable. I have maybe another hour of sanding then they will look good! :cool:

[video=youtube_share;022CKXj8ICo]http://youtu.be/022CKXj8ICo[/video]

I like the glow grips a lot. And the beasts you put them on even more!

I am still drooling over the pictures of your Monster Slayer chopper on a regular basis.

The one is this video is awesome too. Looks like a real solid handful of knife.

Someday... :)

Man, how thick is that blade? :eek: It looks thick enough to pry open a door!

That one is made from .36" thick 5160 steel stock so it is pretty darn thick.

I also made the scale material myself, it is a high end aero/marine crystal clear epoxy base and some kind of filler :D combined with lots of glow powder, I use almost an ounce of the best glow powder for each set. this stuff ---> http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=42

I bought an ounce of thier glow paint for the heck of it a few weeks ago. Brightest stuff I ever seen. Gonna put on some gun sights.

His homemade glow scales are pretty d0p3. You need to show a video of them in the dark then light again.. but on a knife, that knife :) MORE MORE MORE!@#$ :D

The sheath for this one is complete, I've only got a little more finishing work to do and it's good to go!

the next project is going to need a lot of composite handle material. just a heads up :)

I bought an ounce of thier glow paint for the heck of it a few weeks ago. Brightest stuff I ever seen. Gonna put on some gun sights.

Top-coat it with her clear fingernail polish.....no; I ain't kiddin'!

Yeah, thats what I'm going to do. Thier web site has some good info on projects.

interesting, I can see that glow paint getting into a lot of little projects. wonder if fish would be more receptive to a lure that had glowy dots painted on it... must try it out before the season is through :)

interesting, I can see that glow paint getting into a lot of little projects. wonder if fish would be more receptive to a lure that had glowy dots painted on it... must try it out before the season is through :)

Years ago, I had some hooks with a ball of some type of pinkish, ceramic-like material that was loaded with G.I.D. paint or powder. They were near magic with
salmon eggs on trout at later hours.

Haven't seen them in years, though.

I have the paint too, it is fingernail polish with the powder in it. It is cool stuff and I think it is supposed to help fish lures work better.

Back