sharpening

it's not because the fine angle makes for a weaker edge, that all depends on the type/quality of steel. i won't go lower than 25 degrees on a Lansky because if it's a 4" or longer blade and the clamp is in the middle, sometimes when you get all the way to the point you'll end up with an edges that's 1/2" wide.

it's not because the fine angle makes for a weaker edge, that all depends on the type/quality of steel. i won't go lower than 25 degrees on a Lansky because if it's a 4" or longer blade and the clamp is in the middle, sometimes when you get all the way to the point you'll end up with an edges that's 1/2" wide.

On a 4" blade I sharpen twice, meaning 2 clamp positions. The longest blade that I sharpened without moving the clamp is 3 1/4", and that's only because it has a pronounced belly.

On a 4" blade I sharpen twice, meaning 2 clamp positions. The longest blade that I sharpened without moving the clamp is 3 1/4", and that's only because it has a pronounced belly.

You need to try the DMT magna-guide, I've done 8+ inch blades without needing to move the clamp.

My Lansky works very well and IMO is much better than the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Sharpmaker will sharpen anything with an edge.
The lansky is limited, you can't sharpen recurves as easily, or larger blades as easily.
I believe the sharpmaker is more versatile, therefore better, in my subjective opinion of course. But to each his own.

Something that works well is some wet"n"dry sandpaper on a flat surface. Cheap, easy, and effective. I recently sharpened a super blunt (un-sharpened/touched up for 5 years) meat cleaver with sandpaper and its shaving sharp. Took like 25 min. Also, no cleanup, just threw away used sandpaper.

But soon, im gonna get paper wheels :)

Paper wheels are the way to go if you want to sharpen knives to hair whittling sharp in a short time, check out the is your time important thread. However, they aren't very portable.

You need to try the DMT magna-guide, I've done 8+ inch blades without needing to move the clamp.
The magna guide clamp is the same with the regular aligner's, so it has the same radius. I suppose I can sharpen long knives without moving the clamp, I'm just a bit anal about keeping the same cutting angle throughout the edge length.

SBL, just understand that the Lansky is not infinitely adjustable in terms of angle. It has holes drilled for the sliding rod and you can choose of those. 20 degrees would be a good choice for most applications. Step one is to grind the bevels on your blade to that 20 degree angle using the coarse stone. You know you are there when a light single stroke turns a burr in each direction. After that, you can go through the other stones progressively to improve the bevels. Subsequent sharpenings will be fast and easy because your bevels will now match the Lansky.

The Lansky system, by the way, will get a knife as sharp as it can be. It is slow and fussy but very accurate. You will be impressed with the results after you get the bevels ground.

Back