shave soap bowl?

shootist16

knife law moderator
I'm looking for a bowl to put shave soap in. I am fairly new to wet shaving so I haven't settled on a soap yet. I would like a bowl that will accommodate a variety of sizes. I plan on getting a blue handthrown lather bowl when they get back in stock. I need something to store the soap in. Any ideas?

There are a few options for you
  1. Buy a cheap soap that comes in a plastic bowl/container, and either use the cheap soap and save the bowl/container, or throw out the cheap soap and put a puck of good stuff in it.
  2. Buy a nice soap that comes with a nice bowl and just keep reusing the bowl.
  3. Look at some of the more notable online shaving stores like West Coast Shaving they have a good selection of bowls for your soaps

I use options 1 and 2 myself. I bought some Wilkinson soap tried it and threw it out because I hated it. It cost less than $2 so it wasn't a big hit to the bank account, then I went out and bought some L'Occitane Cade soap and put it in the empty container. I also regularly use Proraso soap so I always have an empty container from that kicking around to use.

I say forego the super expensive shave bowls. I use a cheap bowl from the VDH kit with the soap and brush. I also use a $0.50 plastic bowl from walmart. Use a coffee cup that you already have. No need for a $50 scuttle when you can use a coffee cup you already own and pick up an electric mug warmer from a number of online or brick and mortar stores for less than $10.

I use a large coffee cup and a cheap mug warmer I found at a garage sale for my bowl lathering.

Find a nice looking cup that doesn't look like one in the kitchen, and use that. Almost any ceramic or plastic cup is suitable. I use a vdh set bowl for melt and pours, a small plastic coffee cup with a wide rim for sample testing (it's short and easy to smash a soap sample into). There's also the marvey's rubber mug, handy if you're prone to dropping things, or if you keep your shave soap in the shower as some folks seem to do. The big thing to look for is a relatively shallow and wide rimmed vessel, it makes swirling the brush to load it much easier.

I say forego the super expensive shave bowls. I use a cheap bowl from the VDH kit with the soap and brush. I also use a $0.50 plastic bowl from walmart. Use a coffee cup that you already have. No need for a $50 scuttle when you can use a coffee cup you already own and pick up an electric mug warmer from a number of online or brick and mortar stores for less than $10.

I use a large coffee cup and a cheap mug warmer I found at a garage sale for my bowl lathering.

I don't think he is looking for a bowl to lather in, but rather to keep his soap puck in. To lather I just use an over sized cappuccino mug, but I like to have a cover for my soaps. It helps to keep them from drying out, and when you add that bit of hot water to the puck before you jump in the shower it seems to work better if you cover the soap.

One place I think that's often overlooked for stuff like this is your local pet store! I manage a pet store and one day I noticed that we have tons of small bowls in various styles and materials that would work well for shaving. We even have a bunch of earthenware bowls. Small stainless bowls cost just a few bucks, plastic ones even less. Want one with a no-tip design and rubber feet, we got that too.

Check out your local community college and/or art groups. There are always people who do pottery that make small bowls for not much money, maybe your helping out a new student, or just an old pro trying to make a living, either way your keeping your money local and helping out the community as well.

-Xander

I travel so I need something good for home and away. I got a humangear plastic pop tin. It contains my soap for travel and it also keeps it from drying out. As my soap I make myself, I make it to fit the container while the soap is still warm and semi liquid. Most high fatted soaps are able top be reheated and poured into whatever you wish. I fill it half full and it is just enough side to lather up the brush perfectly.

A place on the west coast had some aluminum tins with screw on lids. I think these should be about perfect. I ordered a few.

Look around on the net and you'll find some nice bowls with lids - very handy as you get into wet shaving and maybe start trying all kinds. then the ones waiting in rotation won't gather dust :)

I'd like to say Life is Short so carpe diem, to heck with the price and get something nice to use and enjoy the days of your life. Marvel at the craftsmanship or glaze or design while you use it. You work hard for your money so enjoy it. Have been sitting with my mother who may not have much more time left. My cheapskate BIL got her a crap chinese TV because "it was so cheap" and she had been basically torturing herself watching it even though it has big black bars running down the screen. Like WTF didn't they get a newer better one! Now look where she is. Fuggin' POS I tell you I am going to throw it in the trash this weekend. I wish I will be able to spend more time with her and get her anything she wants. Please spoil yourselves, your SO, your parents, those who mean anything to you. One day you may not be able to.

Yes. I'm looking for something to store the puck in.

Try buying any of Taylor of Old Bond St creams. They come in an excellent screw top ivory coloured 'bowl' after you've used up the cream, soaps will store really well. If I lived in America and not Europe I could post you an empty. Can't help feeling a seemingly empty container might arouse customs' suspicions..:eek::D

I went through a period where I couldn't stop buying soaps, so before I knew it, I had about 40 pucks. I found the small to medium sized zip-loc or whatever - Glad- plastic containers work very well for storage and use. Not pretty, but they get the job done and they're cheap. I did pick up some of the wooden and ceramic containers for when I'm feeling a littel more classy.

Jordan

Last edited:
I have used 1 cup Pyrex containers and some plastic double wall containers I ordered online from speciality bottle. My favorite though are the containers sold by queen Charlotte soaps. Love their soap. Vostok is super cold for the summer months!

I google shave soap forum and find you so I would appriciate if you read an review (click this) and tell me what you think about this 5 soaps?I use cheap ones so far but have problems with skin on my face so I decide to try with more quality so I google and find that review... TNX!

I use an old stoneware coffee mug that my dad used to use. Nothing special. I'll use the cheap shave soap from Walmart that my wife picks up on occasion. I'm also known to save the small slivers of bar soap, break them in half and drop them in the mug. I only shave my neck and two strips on the sides of my 'stache so the CPAP mask will seal properly...I haven't shaved my 'stache since the mid 1990's or the 'chops since 2012. They'll get a trim, but not shaved.

There are some great handmade options and older cool ones on etsy as well, I've got one from littlepotteryshop on there thats been great.

An old soup mug works well. Wider than most coffee cups, plenty of room to swirl the brush & usually are thicker than a cup so they hold heat longer;)

Back