Sheath Thread; please share some of your favorites

here's a wicked good sheath by Matthew Gregory;

The sheath is configured for inside the waistband, and is pretty comfortable to wear.
Safety-wise, the harder you push the knife into the sheath, the more secure it is.
The micro fiber liner is very smooth and quiet.

A well designed sheath will determine whether a straight knife gets carried or not, and in the case of this knife, I like having it on my belt because the sheath wants to be there.

I highly recommend Matt Gregory as an all around great knife maker. He thinks things through and does a hell of a good job when it comes to precision and design.

Here is a beauty that David just finished for me,

attachment.php

Kris, that new one for the Anderson JS knife is wonderful. The knife is great, the sheath is great, as a package it is outstanding.

Lovely tooling on that Claude Scott sheath, the knife is lovely too.

Chris

It was nice seeing Russ Andrews set up at ICCE in Kansas City. I also met Jack Andress at the show. After picking up this nice Cru Forge V stag hunter from Russ, I learned there was a Texas sheath maker with a table full of sheaths in the room. Here is Jack's lined sheath I paired with Russ' hunter. Jack makes a great sheath.

Look forward to sharing this new package with some wildlife this fall.

Russ%20Andrews%20KC%20hunter_zpsabxc0hq9.jpg

- Joe

Congratulations on scoring that great knife and sheath Joe. I will admit to my jealousy when you let me see this at KC. I hope it gets lots of use this fall.

Chris

Lorien: Matt really does a nice job on his sheaths IMO, I especially like how he lines them.

Kris: Very nice, carving extremely well done.

Parfums95: I don't believe I've ever seen that type 'folder sheath', but I like it. Who is the sheathmaker?

Joe: Fine knife-sheath set-up, I've admired that one since Russ posted it up on Chris's show thread. Thanks for adding Jack Andress' work to the mix here. He obviously does fine work.
The primary reason I started this thread was so that collectors would have a place to be exposed to as many sheathmakers and examples of their work as possible when needing a sheath for a knife.

Kyle Gahagan JS does beautiful sheathwork to go along with his fine knives as demonstrated here:

Jeff Baker creates a very functional and hard use sheaths as demonstrated here. This one offers two carry options, dangle or belt loop carry and a place to store fire starter:

A couple of my recent ones....

Elephant and bison hide. Hand made copper stud.

Bison hide with copper kurigata.

Clean and simple.

Gorgeous pieces, Kevin, thanks for posting. :thumbup: :cool:

Latest knife/sheath package, from Matt Gregory.
Super slick carry system, ultra suede lined sheath.
Carry IWB, behind your belt

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Doug

Ben Seward, David Seward:

BenShunter14_zpsaa12b7ae.jpg

Erik Markman, Alessio Salsi:

EricMarkmanBlade14mine_zps70c5c7fc.jpg

Sam Lurquin, Jeremy Guillaume:

Blade1426_zps7b558b8e.jpg

Jason Knight, Paul Long:

Jason%20Knight%20Kuhkri%201_zpsvljr5gtd.jpg

- Joe

Now for something a little out side the box. This was the wife's idea. She likes to carry a small fixed blade but most of the time doesn't wear a belt. We are ranchers so she does use a knife on a daily basis. She came up with this idea for a beltless sheath and then we kind of ran with it. About 8 prototypes later we finally got the pattern dialed in.

XwgnYHf.jpg

Looks like this when she's in the saddle.

ShBdtUP.jpg

Back