Should custom knifemakers act against hype?

What damascus blade are you talking about? I never bought a damscus blade from you or from any secondary dealer. Why would I buy another knife from you when the first knife was not acceptable? You say that I bought a knife from you at the NYC show, and you told me about the clip. Why don't you describe my appearance if you recall that?

By the way Mr. Ralph, that other fella, did you return his knife to him after the super-tuning within one day of recieving it? Or did you have other matters to attend to in Atlanta?

Roscoe Do you buy a car without checking on the dealer, I doubt it. so why would you not do the same with everything. Seems from your posts that you just want to bitch about the entire mess instead of taking the man up on his statment to fix the knife. Darrel has a good rep as a maker and unless he is a pure damn fool Im sure he wants to keep it. Send the man the knife and get it fixed or shut up about it, people will get to thinking that your a whiner.

------------------
old pete

Mr. Ralph

You stated in your post that I had another set of problems. Please be more specific. What are those problems? What is your diagnosis of my poor condition? Is that a medical opinion? Is that the opinion of the Bladeforum, Gus, Sparks and Mike? I would be more than happy to hear from you in that regard.

For cryin' out loud, roscoe... Here's what you said in a post dated 4/6/00:

I bought a medium apogee from Ralph at the NYC show in 11/99. I went there with the specific purpose of getting one. The integral lock models he had there all had production Benchmade clips with only three of the screw holes drilled and filled. I was dissapointed because it kind of took away from the aesthetics of the knife, but bought one nonetheless. Paid $475. My problem now is that everytime I look at the knife I get pissed off over the cheapness of the clip and this stupid third hole. You pay $475 for a knife you should get a custom clip and at the very least all holes filled with screws. Locks up tight though and I beat it to death, but that stupid clip...

The next day Darrel posted this:

Roscohound
I have since changed the clip . I just modifie it to accept the two screws by If you would like a newer clip I will send you one .
I also reshape the clip to be more fitting to the look of the knife. Just email me your address and I will send you one.

You picked out the knife in person, even though you didn't like the stupid clip, then proceded to bitch and moan about it in a public forum instead of contacting Darrel. He offered to completely redo the clip at no cost to you, yet you've continued to bitch for months now in several different threads about the stupid thing. I counted at least five threads in which Darrel asked you to send the knife back to him to clear up any problem you have with the knife.

Either send the knife back to him or quit yer bitchin'. You didn't handle the whole thing correctly from the start, and you still continue to make yourself look like an ass.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

Old Pete,

For $525 don't you think I deserve to whine for awhile? That's alot of money even by Bill Gates standards. If a maker charges $525 pre-ordered or on the table and it is not finished, I believe that I have the right to complain. Sending it back involves shipping and time. Make it right the first time for $525.

This mostly seems to be a play on words . for instance . Can your knife chop a brick in half without serious damage to the knife ? Yes !

Or if the question was can I destroy your knife with this brick ? The answer would also be yes !

Technique is A key ingredient here .Which will make my test results differ from yours or Kits Or Tom's or Cliffs etc...

A cold chisel will cut bolt in half but will not split a hair,meaning geometry has alot to do with how a perticular steel performs as does heat treat.

If I, Kit ,Darrell ,Tom ,Rob ,Jerry, etc... were asked to make a knife that was meant to chop steel or concrete I'm sure we could build one that would do it well ,However it would be useless for almost every other purpose a " knife " is intended for .

I wan't to stay out of this arguement however I couldn't stand it.

I try to build precision cutting instruments with the best materials I can buy. I test them thoroughly and having done this for sometime and have developed a technique of my own which may vary somewhat from other makers and as such may have differing results .

There 440-c,440-v ,L6, BG-42,D2, 3V is the same as mine as we all go to the same source for these alloys ,All have there intended uses and are quite good .So you can pretty much rest assured that if the heat treat is done properly and the geometry is the same and the alloy is the same ,you can bet your ass the knives will perform similarly with reguard to edge retention impact resistance corrosion resistance etc...Beyond that is personal preferance in size ,style fit finnish and intended purposes, There is no real mystery to it, choose the steel for your knife based on it's intended purposes and learn the difference between these alloys and you will be a step ahead !

This is only a generalization and it's intent is to shed some light on this subject to those who are relatively new to knives,alloys and application as I feel this post is confusing to them .

every once in a while something truely amazing comes along however there is no Perfect steel for all applications and intended purposes.
and a general rule of thumb holds true . If something sounds to good to be true ,It usually is . and requires further investigation.

Just my opinion!

Aloha!!! Ken Onion

senator

sorry, I don't know any better. I am after all a "newbie." Maybe y'all can in the future inform me of the proper etiquette I should exhibit at future shows where I spend $400-$600 for a knife. Should I drop to my knees before or after I pay you the money?

roscoehound,

What is it you are trying to accomplish here????? Please quit beating around the bush and just tell us!!! Darrel has done everything but kiss your ass trying to rectify this situation, and you will have no part of it... Unless my memory serves me incorrectly, he even offered to find your knife a new home! If I was as unsatisified as you are I would take him up on it, or at least let him fix the knife.

PLEASE tell Darrel (and everyone else that is keeping up with this thread) what you want!!!! Quite frankly the more you open your mouth the more you make yourself look like a...... Well, you get the point!!!!

Please keep the name calling explicit or otherwise out of this. There are legitimte points from all sides but it may boil down to how one interprets the manner in which custom knives should or should not be marketed (hype?), bought or sold and the maker/purchaser relationship therein.

I've bought a lot of custom knives from some prominent makers over the past 12 yrs or so and it seems I've gotten used to either fixing them myself or returning them to the maker (all folders and users the FBs don't seem to have problems and you can't really tell w/the collectables). Some of them have been flawed from the get go, usually w/regards to not locking securely or missing things I ordered on the knife, etc (things beyond usual maintainance).

The thing of it is, is that I've gotten used to that or have been conditioned to think that this is the way it is so it doesn't bug me (maybe it should).

However if you think of a custom knife like any other product then theres some things that are unacceptable about having to return a knife for QC or QA problems that should've been caught. Or is it a matter of interpretation as to what exactly qualifies as QC problem? Surely a new liner lock that closes under "white knuckle" conditions shouldn't be allowed to leave a makers shop(?) but what about the "spine whack" I certainly don't want a knife that can't survive it but for some it seems to be OK so is that a QC problem? It depends on what the makers thinks and what the customer expects.

When you add high dollars to the equation and peoples livelyhood, even seemingly trivial things to some can become points of principles to others. Buying a custom knife obviously isn't like buying a Sony triniton.

The custom knife comes w/all the bagagge or lack of bagagge a maker has the day (or his entire life) he made the knife. Did the maker have a good bowl movement that morning? Did he eat breakfast? If not your custom knife may end up reflecting that. You may end up w/a knife w/no screws holding the clip on.
Is the maker rushed to get to a show? Does he have a "cookie cutter" process set up? How high are his standards really? All these things will reflect the kind of compromises (rate of delivery, #of clip screws, etc) a maker eventually makes. And most makers will make compromises at some point unless he can make a living spending weeks on a single knife and charging $10000 a knife. Is the nature of compromise inoccuous and is it balanced by price? or is that open to interpretation to?

When you have different ideas of how things should be you have a disturbance in the force (like here). When I buy a Sony trinitron for $400 I don't want or expect to see the assmbly line workers lack of a bowl movement that morning reflected in that TV. When I buy a custom knife I don't want to see it either but sometimes its there and some makers can get pretty stopped up. The solution is multi-facted like the problem but for me, my exlax is to either fix the knives myself, return, sell and/or don't buy anymore from that maker and tell all my rich knife buddies to do the same. Also at least going through the conceptual process of making your own helps. I mean where did custom makers come from in the first place? they're probably guys not satisified w/whats out there.

Genel

You are even more pathetic than me. What are you doing up so late? The knife was not the knife advertised. If you bought something that was not advertised, how would you feel?

booshank,

Please be more specific! What custom maker are you referrng to??? The guy you are describing will be working on an assembly line in a few years anyway, so I guess it really doesn't matter!!!

I have a few 'handmade' knives (most of which I have used) and there has only been one occasion in which I needed to have one repaired and that was due to me chipping the micarta slabs... Maybe I'm lucky, but I doubt it...

O.K. roscoehound, I guess I am missing something important here.... In a previous post it was stated that this knife was bought off of Darrel's table... What do you mean it was not the "knife that was advertised"???? Please enlighten me!!! Do it in e-mail if you wish. Yours is not listed... I would also love to know why you will not give Darrel the opportunity to resolve this situation... Call me what you wish, but when you repeatedly jump up and down making accusations about a custom maker (especially when he is trying to fix the problem) it makes you look a lot worse then it does him...

Not that my opinion matters, but I wouldn't enter into a fight like this without laying it all on the table...

Roscohound
Is this an excersise for you
This takes my time. Im trying to be a gent here but I guess you want to play with me.
I retract my statment above with the offer to sell your knife. I felt I was going up and above the norm to make you happy. Ill fix it that is it. Please show me an email where I promised the fellow with the black blade that I would turn his knife around in one day. If I did then well I had to go to a show. He got his blade. And more. He email me and said he was happy. His nick is boonshank.

here is your post Rosco
from another thresd where you tried this same
kind of thing
Topic: darrel ralph (pic)
sdesarno

Vermont
posted 03-31-2000 04:50 PM

Just received today! large linerlock apogee with polished carbon fiber scales. My
requests were blue anodized clip; no lanyard hole.

Darrel added a nice touch: the top edge of the liner is anodized purple,
which fades out around the back of the handle, turning to satin finish on the bottom
edge.

the handle is thicker and more rounded than the standard frame lock and fills the
hand better. the dimples on the top of the blade and handle look good and feel
better than regular thumb serrations. the pics don't really do it justice.

thanks Darrel for a job well done! --Steve

Pic of clip side Here

Pic of top Here

IP: Logged
dzig

posted 03-31-2000 07:40 PM

Very nice! Darrel does excellent work. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I especially like the fact
that the folder is held together by only 3 screw assemblies. Simplicity at its best.

-dzig

John Hollister

posted 04-01-2000 01:46 AM

Awesome knife!

John Hollister

Darrel Ralph

posted 04-01-2000 08:48 AM

Thanks for the kind workds Enjoy!

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
New Web at www.darrelralph.com

TomW

posted 04-01-2000 03:47 PM

Whew! Scary topic.. I thought you were posting a picture of Darrel Ralph.
Nice knife Darrel.

Ronald Reagan

posted 04-01-2000 10:39 PM

That's a great looking knife. I can only imagine how it handles. His work is first rate.

Mark W Douglas

posted 04-03-2000 06:27 AM

LOVE THAT CPM-420V BLADE's GEOMETRY! I like a 4.25" Blade Length, though! Oh yea,
Darrel does excellent work

Mark

P.S. Man, I would love to own a knife or two made by this guy!

[This message has been edited by Mark W Douglas (edited 04-03-2000).]

roscoehound

posted 04-06-2000 10:59 PM

I bought a medium apogee from Ralph at the NYC show in 11/99. I went there with the specific
purpose of getting one. The integral lock models he had there all had production Benchmade
clips with only three of the screw holes drilled and filled. I was dissapointed because it kind of
took away from the aesthetics of the knife, but bought one nonetheless. Paid $475. My problem
now is that everytime I look at the knife I get pissed off over the cheapness of the clip and this
stupid third hole. You pay $475 for a knife you should get a custom clip and at the very least all
holes filled with screws. Locks up tight though and I beat it to death, but that stupid clip...
And my reply
Roscohound
I have since changed the clip . I just modifie it to accept the two screws by If you would like a
newer clip I will send you one .
I also reshape the clip to be more fitting to the look of the knife. Just email me your address and
I will send you one.

Personally I find clips a nesseary evil. I feel they destory the lines of a knife. Please either send
the knife or I will be happy to send you a newer modified clip.

Sorry for the bad feelings . I listen to every comment and adjust the clients needs if it is in the
realm of the knife.
and your reply
Just to make sure that I had not said something out of line, I did compare the clip on my apogee
to my benchmades and spydercos. They are pretty similar but it may be that Ralph did make the
clip himself. The fact remains, however, that only two of the three holes were drilled and filled
which is not right when you pay $475 for a knife.
I buy my clips pivots and thumb studs Rosco. that has never been an issue. I post it all the time

Then you posted this
recluse--you are very observant about the blade shapes. I bought an apogee from Ralph at the
NYC show. Based upon what he saw when I showed him my knife, a friend thought it would be
a good idea if he got one too. the knife he got has a broad thick blade with very little recurve
and does not look any thing like the one that I originally showed him. He was very dissapointed
that he paid close to $500 for the knife with grind marks and a non-functional ball detent. $500
could have well been spent on something else. My question is whether Mr. Ralph is too busy
Then I posted this
Recluse
Yes the blades on the apogee differ a little from one to the next . They are custom made not laser
cut. So from one blade to the next they vary . I feel this gives the person who buys them
something special not just a cookie cutter blade. In the time frame of the New york show I was
testing differnt blades shapes, edge thickness and spring tentions. I have settled on the blade
shape that is being used now and the original more fighter type blade. They will vary still a little
from knife to knife but not much. I also will take special orders for different blade shapes that are
out there.

Roscoehound
At the time of the New Your show I was just recovering from a 1 week stay in the hospital . I
was suffering from a blood clot in my leg and a very high blood sugar count. This caused my
eyesite to be bad and deep depression in that time frame. I know this is no excuse but it is the
truth. I have since recovered with diet, and medication to correct my conditions. My thinking
was not as clear as it should have been. I thank god for his help. Its hell looking death in the
eye.

As for the detent. Every detent is drilled for every blade one at a time. Some are stronger than
others. They also vary with the strength of the spring. If your friend will send the knife I will
look at it and take the detent a little deeper to make it detent better. As for the scratches I dont
put damascus knives out with scratchs as a rule. If I missed something I will be glad to refinish
the blade and re-etch it.

Mr Hound if you would like to give me a call or email I will clear any problem with my product.
I try to do my best .. thats all I can do.

I do appreciate your feedback and as stated and will take care of any situation that you are not
happy with. I feel this is my job . I listen to all my clients and make adjustments as I go to make
the best knife I can.

When you send the knife I will also retune it to updated standards and reano it.

I notice you dont have an email addy on the forums so I cannot send an email to you .Please
post your address so I can send you the newer clip . Please include the clip length so I get the
right one.
AS stated above I was trying different options for the apogee in that time frame and have
settled in on the apogee configuration now.

Then you posted this
Mr. Douglas

I guess you guys from the Buckeye St. stick together. I did question Mr. Ralph at the NYC
about the clip. He said that that was the way he was making the second round of them and that
it was just as strong as if there were all three screws. So I thought if that is the way they all are
going to be... I guess I'll get one. But, then after purchase I began to see different pictures of the
Apogee very shorly thereafter with more refined clips and that third hole cut away. That's really
when I became irritated about the clip on my version and felt that I had been shortchanged in
away.

If your questioning my intelligence in still buying the knife when I had reservations about the
clip--so be it. I don't claim to be the brightest person around and ultimately I guess it was my
mistake to buy the knife. But if this market is becoming "buyer beware" then let me out. Plus, I'll
also play the lack of sleep card. I was seriously jet lagged from flying the redeye in that day
which must have clouded my judgement and not allowed me to see straight.

I do recognize the uniqueness of custom knives and the artistery involved. That is why I buy
them, in addition to production knives. However, I don't think that putting a clip on with three
holes and only putting two screws through is art. It may be unique, but it isn't art and it doesn't
belong on a custom "piece of art." The rest of the knife is great, but it is not unlike framing a
great painting with a garage sale frame that doesn't go with the painting.

then I posted this
Rosco
I will be glad to update the clip for you with three screws. I guess I just have a clip thing. I dont
really care for clips. I put them on for the client not for me.
I feel they are an add on to a work of art.
So I put them on so folks who carry them in this manner will be happy. As we spoke in Ny I feel
that if you break two of the screws the other will go also.

I am not perfect.. And never will be.

As for your knife I will tap the knife for the third screw and make you happy.

Once again My products are not produced with
laser and so on.
SO each is a diifernt work in a simular shape.
Again in the time frame of the NY show I was
testing differnt shapes of blades. I feel this is my job as a knifemaker to do the best job I can in
the time frame I am in at the time.
Sorry to hear about your other experiences with customs.

The apogee is built to be rebuildable. It was designed that way for folks like you.

Once again Please send the knife to me and I will Put the other screw in for you .

then you posed this
UW Mitch

As far as I am concerned that knife should never have left the shop if the blemishes were so
obvious that you could detect them. Should the burdon be on you to detect the error(s) and
ship the knife back, or on the maker to properly QC the knife before the delivery? I think the
latter personally. After buying a car do you enjoy taking it back to the dealer constantly for
adjustments? I don't. If that's the type of interaction you like, more power to you. to me it's an
annoyance and something I should not have to do in the first place.

then I posted this
Mr. Ralph:

I know that I made a stink about the clip on my Apogee. It bothered me, but did not affect the
funtionality of the knive. My question now is whether it is a bad thing that the integral lock has
gotten to the point that it slips all the way over so that it hits the other side (other handle slab)?
Will that cause my blade to wobble like I have noticed on liner-locks with a similar problem? Is
that the way it was designed? Should I send the knife back to you for a look see at this point?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
then I posted this
Rosco
Please send the knife to me for a tune up..
While I have it Ill take care of that clip screw also..
Some of the early apogees have a cam bushing stop pin that can be adjusted . This stop
bushing was put in to make the lock adjustable for just this type of situation.
Please email me in private about your thoughs on the clip.
I will turn the knife around in a day or two.
then I posted this
kay, I will probably send the knife. But, if I can adjust the pivot pin I will try that first. Please
note that I have used the knife on a regular basis for knife type purposes. I have never used it
in an ABNORMAL manner. It has been opened when necessary, but I don't sit around opening
and closing it just for fun. Plus, I have never "flicked" it open. It was locking up tight with the
lock going only about half way over until recently when I noticed it was going pretty much all
the way over. If rotating the pin doesn't work I will send the knife to you for adjustment and the
third clip screw. Thanks.
then I post this
Rosco
The stop pin (bushing) can be rotated
to reset the lock. Please my comment about swinging the knife open was not a general
statement. I do have clients that like to do this move. What the intent is to make the knife
adujstable to stop returns for folks who swing. If the knife has this bushing it is possible for the
screw to allow the bushing to rotate after a while. If not I will take care of whatever the knife is
doing without a problem at all. After seeing the knife I can tell what needs to be done to offset
the problem in the future.

To try to adjust the bushine is simple
Just loosen the stop pin bushing and with a pair of needle nose pliers with tape on the jaws...
rotate the bushing a bit one way tighten it and check or the other way tighten it and check the
lock to see if its the cam bushing type. If not just send it Ill repair it in short order..

Thanks
then you posted this and I posted that
posted 05-09-2000 09:49 PM

Okay, I will see if I can make the adjustment myself. Thanks for the instructions. If it doesn't
work, a big brown truck, with a guy in brown shorts etc will deliver it to you soon.

Darrel Ralph

posted 05-10-2000 10:22 AM

Glad to be of service!

------------------

Then you started in another post
Blues--

Your criticism of Booshank is unjustified. This is a forum afterall. Alot of you could be criticized
for running a DDR Fan Club here which would also be inapppopriate. Criticism and praise
should be equally welcome on a forum. Another thing I have a problem with is DDR "outing"
Booshank's E-mail to him. This is why I have resisted DDR's invitations to "e-mail him in
private" over the issues I have had with my apogee. Would he then go on the forum and refer
to my private e-mails? Just when I get to the point that I have no further issues (I did manage to
rotate the cam bushing and I do appreciate DDR's instructions) you guys go and get me all riled
up again. If Booshank had a beef and it flied in the face of what you guys were saying he had a
right to voice that on the thread. Myself I can't devine the "spirit" of the thread without going
into your head Blues, so if you are going to write something here you should expect a response
good or bad. Or am I wasting my time logging on?

Then I replied and you replied
Rosco.
Did the cam bushing do the trick for you ?
Rosco I feel your comment about me posting about a private email between you or any other
client and I is a slap in my face. I would never betray the trust of a client in that or any other
manner.

If not once again please return the knife and
I will refurbish it for you .

As for boon emailing me thats between him and I . How he conducts his business is his own
freedom and as you stated you have yours .
If he want to be a gentleman about the way he does business that his concern. Dirty laundry is
not what these forums are about IMHO. Although some feel it is. Its not my style and never will
be.
And from the post he made he is a decent human being that gives a damn about what other
think of him.
The forums are open to any discussion as far as I know. There is something about sitting
behind a computer that make folks want to say anything that comes into there heads without
consideration sometimes of the person on the other end.

IMHO there is a right way and a wrong way to handle yourself. I am not perfect either. I have
said things in these forums that I WOULD say in person... but I do regret saying them later. I do
not sit and piss and moan about things that a person has bent overbackwards to try correct
though . Imho I feel if you post here you have to take the good and the bad. I do respect
personal freedom VERY much. Blues just stated what his point of this post was about. Whats
wrong with that?

I like you Rosco. You always pop up and have something to say. Did you get the screw fixed
on your apogee clip? If not once again send it to me and Ill update it and have it out to in one
day. Ill even reano the knife for you and update it. What else can I do for you to help you make
me feel the justice that you feel I deserve for buying that apogee you bought?

I didnt ask for these folks to post here about dealing with me . They do it on there own. So if it
bothers you why not send an email to Gus and ask for all these posts to be erased. Actions
speak louder than words.
Im sure not one person would mind there personal freedom being revolked by you .

How about we take care of your situation like gentleman?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 05-18-2000).]

roscoehound

posted 05-19-2000 12:08 AM

Mr. Ralph

My last post was to let this thing die and let's move on. You have now accused me of sitting
behind a computer and saying whatever I please and, I guess, not acting like a gentleman. I
have no problem with other people singing your praises. If that was their experience more
power to them. That was why I wanted one of your knives in the 1st place. I wish I had the
same experience. I met you in person and have no disagreement with the comments that you are
a likeable and congenial person. Also, if you read my collective comments, I have never had a
problem with the knife in general. I have had a problem with the clip and your representation to
me that that was how they were all being made. I have also thanked you for telling me how to
adjust the cam bushing so the lock doesn't go all the way over and that adjustment has been
made. As to Blues, I was just pointing out that some others might have a differant point of view
and that should be expected on a forum.

You are creating a very high expectation of your work. Please don't make promises that you
can't keep because it will come back to bite you. My whole point has been: I don't want to send
the knife back to you. Deliver it as asked for and if there is a defect or lack of finishing don't put
it on your table for sale. Most of the praises in your direction have been about after sale
interaction. My point is get it right the first time so I don't have to make trips to UPS, FEDEX or,
god forbid the US postal service!! Man, I don't have time after working 50 to 60 hours per week.

We can go on all night Roscohound
But its bed time for me.
I feel that I have done nothing but try to do the right thing with you .

Ill say this once more
Send the knife ill not only put a screw in it
Ill update it.
other than that I feel you are heckling me at this point.

Rosco
Once again send the knife Ill take care of it.
Above is what was posted.
Yes you bought the knife off my table in NY york. You seen many knives there and admitted you did inthe posts. So why did you buy mine? Can I pay you to buy someone else's next time please.
I looked for everything I could find where you posted.
I dont remember your face but I remember what I told you about the clip working with two screws. You said it in a post . I remember it.
I dont know if its here but at this point im not looking for it. It doesnt matter.
You keep saying your a newbie. Well you have experience IMHO from the posts above. I think you are here to set me up and heckle me forever and ever and ever. Does this make you feel good? Do you feel powerful?
I will not lower myself to your level. At this point saying what I really want to say would be unprofessional. Thats what you want my friend. Sorry not gonna happen!

Anything else?

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 07-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 07-01-2000).]

Ok Rosco...Im still trying to figure this out. I went through all the old threads I could find. First, are you really so hard up to whine that you would spend 475 or 525 or whatever, just to buy a knife to whine about? I mean, c'mon...you expect people to believe that you didnt check the knife over before dropping that kind of money? Now, you bought the knife off his table...then you decide you dont like it...that would have been the time to call Darrel and tell him. I mean, strange to wait all that time and decide to just come right out and attack Darrel. In all those posts you made, Darrel offered anything and everything to make you happy...but you would rather keep saying "well golly, for 525 I have a right to whine". NO YOU DONT!!. Darrel wanted to make it right, you did not give him the chance. Now, if Darrel told ya to buzz off right from the start..then sure...you would have every right...but he didnt...he wanted to make you happy. Tell me, and be specific here, why would you not send the knife to him?? It seems that it actually makes you happier to spend 525 for the right to whine, than to have the knife you want...strange. Darrel is a well respected maker...and the only agenda you seem to have is to bring him down...why??? Again..be specific...what could Darrel have done to make you happy? Anything? Your pathetic attempts to destroy his reputation have failed miserably...and the fact that you have failed seems to make you angrier.

Darrel...its very clear and in the open...you went way beyond the call of duty to make a customer happy. Just realize one thing...a perfect knife would not make him happy...he seems to be much happier complaining and flaming you. NOTHING you could do would help...he doesnt want the knife fixed...to him its worth more to constantly attack you, than to have the knife he wants (wierd, isnt it?
smile.gif
). So rest easy...you have always been a well respected maker...and I think your reputation has jumped up a few points by showing you are willing to do WHATEVER it takes to see that your customers are pleased. Just keep right on doing what you always have...your on the right track!!!
smile.gif

------------------
Richard
icq 61363141
Just some knife pictures
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=110070&a=4518795

Why does Mr. Ralph have complete access to my posts on this forum? Seems to me to be a complete conflict of interest for a moderator, advertiser, etc. Please, Gus, disclose Mr. Ralph's interest in the BladeForums if none at all. thank you.

Gene:

I'm not necessarially refering to a specific maker. However all makers being humans (except for the alien ones) are prone to "stoppages" and other ailments. It all depends on your (the customers) standards and what your willing to put up with balanced w/price, marketing and "hype" (just trying to keep in context of original thread) as well as the same thing for the maker (w/regards to the customer). Don't get me wrong there are a some makers whos work has always been superb for me under some adverse conditions. Then there are ones whos work has been at best schizophrenic. As long as the yin/yang remains balanced (value vs quality, etc) then I'm OK.
Please no one attack me I'm friendly.

Well roscoehound, it appears that the cards are on the table now!!! Thanks Darrel!!! I just call'em like I see'em, and unless there is something that Darrel has left out, you appear to be just another troll looking for trouble!

Guess the ball is in your court once again!!!! The invitation to e-mail me is still good... You can do so at: genel74@aol.com . I will not be home again until Sunday evening to check my AOL account... Like I said earlier, "Please enlighten/humor me!"

I just call'em like I see'em... It's time to put up or shut up.... Your choice!!!!

roscoe...everybody has access to all the posts...try the search feature. Hey...click on a profile for somebody...right there it will say search all posts for user. Cool, huh?

Back