Show Us Your Discontinued Benchmades

^^^ Very cool blade!!!
Got the Spike today and it blew me away! What a sick looking blade and it has the sharpest and most even edge I've seen on anything out of the box!
Fires out like a pistol!! Perfectly centered and lock up it TIGHT!!
Loving it!!
Here it is next to my Godson. Will get some good pics up tomorrow.
Joe
c3623fde644174ea940af1a1165df6db.jpg

Nice ones, both Joes! That 440C on those old Benchmades takes a killer edge, JK. I got my TSEK from Corey and the edge he put on that for me was stupidly sharp. I dulled it a bit at work, touched it up, and now I'm afraid to even look at it it's so sharp. Same for ATS34. I've got a few in that steel but never sharpened one until I got my Darkstar with the hideously butchered attempt at an edge. It took almost nothing to re-profile it on the EdgePro and it's mirrored and just ridiculously sharp.

What's the steel on that Spike, JP? Those two pig-stickers make a nice pair, brother!

Hey Steve! I was going to ask you & Corey which steel is on the Spike. First BM without a steel marking I've seen. When I get home I'll check the box, maybe it's on there??
Joe

I didn't know, Joe, so I checked around. Three sources of those I found all said it's ATS34 like Charlie Mike said on the auto thread. That stuff gets scary sharp!

Thank you Steve!! Let me tell you brother........that bitch is screaming scary stupid sharp!!
Wow!!!
Also, I can't begin to tell you how fast this bad boy flies open!!
Just a flat out cool knife!
I love when you're pining for a long time for something and it surpasses your expectations! This one does just that!!!

I may be losing brain cells, but am sure it's a Dark Star designed by Allen Elishewitz.

I may be losing brain cells, but am sure it's a Dark Star designed by Allen Elishewitz.

You are correct, jkarp..

Meant to quote you on my last post...quoted myself by mistake...pretty silly..

I'll leave it because it is so ridiculous.

No problem here...such a nice example of the DS deserves a double quote. :thumbup:

...Joe

I enjoyed looking at the old Benchmade pics, thanks for posting them. Unfortunately, i don't have any old Benchmades to post a pic of myself. I wish they still made knives in ATS34 steel, I wonder why they quit using it.

I enjoyed looking at the old Benchmade pics, thanks for posting them. Unfortunately, i don't have any old Benchmades to post a pic of myself. I wish they still made knives in ATS34 steel, I wonder why they quit using it.

From everything I've heard, ATS-34 and 154CM are virtually identical. ATS-34 is Japanese (Hitachi) and 154CM is American (Crucible).

That is nice, but is it not a Bluestar?

Could be either I guess. The Mini Dark Star was 885 and the Bluestar was 886. However, there was an 885-08/00 August Knife of the Month from 2000 that looks identical to the Bluestar. The actual Bluestar wasn't introduced until 2001, so that KOTM may have been called a Mini Dark Star since the Bluestar wasn't around yet, but I honestly don't know.

885-08/00
SAM_5749.jpg~original

SAM_5750.jpg~original

Last edited:
Me neither. All I know is they made those oldies to last, and that's why there are so many still in the flow.

Glad you posted those, Corey, as I recalled your pic back at post #54 on this thread. I believe you also had large and small Bluestars up on our old Pics of Pairs thread, too.

I searched 886 and found this sales thread from back aways by a member whom I believe has since reinvented himself.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1055117-Benchmade-886-Blue-Star

I really like that interrupted scale on those knives. Like JoeK, I don't know what they're called either, but he's sure right that they made some damn fine knives back when and I'm pleased there are still some around.

Last edited:

You're wrong. It's Blue Star.
BM886.jpg

My Dark Star with other BM's discontinued now:

MI9wkRw.jpg

bKxZADw.jpg

First was Sentinel
010-1.jpg

Then Dark Star and Blue star was the last.

Sentinel - blue liner, alloy scales, also without stop pin, thumb stud was doing stop pin work
Dark Star - yellow/gold liners and full G-10 scales
Blue Star - combination of those two - blue liners and G-10 scales but shaped like in Sentinel.

All of them are based on Elishewitz Phantom, custom design from 1998.
5747_open_L1.jpg

15101613_341094279603967_4191691191005216768_n.jpg

Rest of pics - google graphics

Last edited:
Back