Show Your Motorcycles

Just got home from picking up the tranny of my 1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider.

Too hot to start messing around in the garage tonight. I'll start re-assembly tomorrow after work. I'll be back on the road by Saturday :thumbup:

I have the old mainshaft and cluster gear in a bag, maybe a knife from the mainshaft :eek: .

See ya in the Wind :D

'07 Road King Classic
since this pic I've added a Stage 1 kit and some extra chrome trim rings around all of the lights...

Attachments

• left-side.jpg
    left-side.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
Way to work Bubba!!!!:cool: :thumbup: :D And it's not RICE. COOOOOOOL!!!!

Years ago I rode Suzuki, but now that I have one of these newer Triumphs I would never go back. The inline tree cylinder purrs out a sound like no other bike I've heard. Not too exceptional at slower speeds but anywhere above 4000 RPMS it is very different, never much need to downshift on the highway, just get it and go. Not a rice burner, not a Harley, but something a little different... kind of like me:D .

T Blade, I think there are 25% more idiots in just about every area of life these days, just on the highway they actually matter and it is the one place they should not be ignored;) I think I have nailed down the final pats of Ashokan and can get the final schedule and lineup out, I will indeed see you there.

I got a call and a email from Wild Bill McHenry yesterday ( inventor of the axis lock) and this is his new ride. HEHEHEHEHE!!! He also has two Indian Scouts that he is restoring.
S40K7.jpg

You know I had to tease him about the rice.:D He is souping up this one lunger too.:eek:

Well, I finished re-installing the tranny Saturday the 30th. Now for some riding, without tranny oil flying everywhere.

Here's a pic of the tranny just back from the mechanincs house last Wednesday with a brand new Andrews gear set, (not close ratio 1st & 2nd) I put it on the cycle frame to be out of the way.

PICT2271.jpg

On Thursday after work, I set the tranny on my workbench for final assembly, note the Service manual at the page I needed to use for this job.

PICT2273.jpg

Here's a pic of the tranny after install, to accomplish this I had to remove some more hardware fromt the cycle, they were the brake pedal unit and the front pipe. During this procedure, you torque the tranny mounting plate to the frame but you must leave the tranny loosely connected to the mounting plate to obtain correct chain/sprocket alignment.

PICT2278.jpg

Next I needed to torque down the final drive sprocket, in order to do this I installed the rear chain and blocked the rear wheel in order to prevent the sprocket from turning while the torque is being applied, I used a special socket that I made, could have bought one but why buy when you can make it yourself. Note the shifting levers above, the front one I've had to replace at least 5 times over the last 20 years, a very lousy design by HD. The rear lever is also new, having replaced the OEM part, both of these parts will soon be labelded obsolite by the Company, luckily I was able to get them both from a local HD dealer who had bought up the inventory of a very old dealer who went out of business.

PICT2279.jpg

Next I Installed the inner primary housing and chain and sprockets, for this I used a special tool ([also home made] painted red). After the inner primary is on, you torque the cover to the engine first, then when you tighten down the tranny to the inner cover it aligns the chain/sprocket, then you torque the tranny to the its mounting plate. In the second pic you will notice that the 2 front bolts inside the cover are wire locked together, wouldn't want one of those to come off and fall into the chaing :eek: that'd stop you in a heartbeat.

PICT2280.jpg

PICT2282.jpg

PICT2283.jpg

She's finished now, I took her out for mini sea trials yesterday, everything is working all right, but I really didn't driver her long enough to make sure every thing is alright. I guess I'll have to do that today :D

PICT2292.jpg

Here is a pic of the first cycle I ever owned. I bought it in early 1973, and immediately cut it up and chopped it out in the typical 70's chopper style.

PICT2289.jpg

I took a digital pic of an old polaroid, and couldn't help but leave in a business card from a band I was in at the same time I had the cycle.

BBBBB Beaver??? You didn't even paint the tranny when you had it out.:jerkit: :jerkit: What a turkey BBBB Beaver you are. HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!
Coool!! Pic of the Ole Pan. It had struts on the back????

BBBBB Beaver??? You did even paint the tranny when you had it out.:jerkit: :jerkit: What a turkey BBBB Beaver you are. HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!
Coool!! Pic of the Ole Pan. It had struts on the back????

As soon as I decided not to paint the tranny, I thought of you :eek:

Those are stainless steel struts, real kidney busters :D , it's ok for a 20 something person :D

Ahhhhh yes, the 70's......was I there????:eek:

Nice Pan........brings back lots of memories....I think

Sweet!!!!!:cool::thumbup::D If it was me I would put whitewalls on the bike now.
;)

I have lots of things to do yet on this bike. Going to replace the wheel on the canoe with a Fatboy mag. Paint the bike black, Pin stripes, White walls, 5 degree triple trees, A reverse gear, All the interior for the boat is out right now, Still doing wiring. The list go's on. I am just so happy to ride again. A little piece of my life is back.

I have lots of things to do yet on this bike. Going to replace the wheel on the canoe with a Fatboy mag. Paint the bike black, Pin stripes, White walls, 5 degree triple trees, A reverse gear, All the interior for the boat is out right now, Still doing wiring. The list go's on. I am just so happy to ride again. A little piece of my life is back.

I hear Ya Bro. I'll be putting my bikes on the road this spring. I haven't road them in 5 years.:eek:
I'll be painting up the tanks on the HD and the Indian needs front wheel bearings, I am sure after I pull them out I'll find allot more things that they will need.:eek:
I try and do all the work on my putts myself and that's including the airbrush work too.:confused:

Mike, I'm real glad to see that you're back in the wind,,,,Can't live without it :thumbup:

,,,,.:eek:
I'll be painting up the tanks on the HD and the ,,,,,:

Oh, Oh,,Wa..Wa..Wally, let me know when the painting party starts, and I'll get the color for my Pan Head :cool:

Back