Silky Saws!

I was just about to post this. It's funny because I always thought the bigger teeth was for hardwoods. According to Silky I'm wrong! Lol. It's just that my Sven has larger and deeper voids and has always made quick work of any seasoned deadfall in the woods.
I was surprised to read this as well. I guess it makes sense when I think about how fine the teeth are on something like a hacksaw for cutting metal. I'm by no means a saw expert, but from my uses the XL teeth on my bigboy 2000 seem to go through all types of wood equally well as long as it's thick enough.

Well shoot, I was expecting to figure out exactly which saw I needed in this thread, all I've decided is I want like 5 different new saws....
Ha! I find similar things happening to me when I'm hanging around this group too much :D

Think of the length of blade you want for the most common size wood you'll encounter and then think about the size of teeth you need for the type of wood.

My saws only see old seasoned hardwood deadfall. I use the Sven to harvest fatwood though because of the bigger space in between the teeth. The Silky would get gummed up in no time!

Well shoot, I was expecting to figure out exactly which saw I needed in this thread, all I've decided is I want like 5 different new saws....

Feeling your pain brother! I'm in the same boat. I WANT a big boy :) but I probably need an ultra accel 240 with large teeth. Either that or maybe a gomboy 210. Oh, and probably a pocket boy. And that boreal21 looks good...... D'oh!!

91bravo, great review!

So what's the difference between your bigboy and my bigboy 2000? I really like that sexy black handle. Jealous.
EDIT: I just looked up my own answer. The 2000 has a slightly curved blade and XL teeth. For the regular bigboys the handle color indicates teeth size. If S!K ever stocks the regular bigboy I may need one. Seeing how the teeth are all enclosed by the handle when closed is super nice.

Let's see a pic of that custom cinch bag!

We went with the curved version because it improves the cutting efficiency by naturally biting a bit deeper on each stroke. We haven't ran into any issues with the teeth getting caught on the one we have thrown in the pack, but we don't get out to use it much, to be fair.

If you do buy one from not us, be sure to know who you are getting it from. Silky has been having issues with retailers, on Amazon specifically, selling grey market "Factory 2nds" as firsts. Silky will not honor their warranty for one of those.

We went with the curved version because it improves the cutting efficiency by naturally biting a bit deeper on each stroke. We haven't ran into any issues with the teeth getting caught on the one we have thrown in the pack, but we don't get out to use it much, to be fair.

If you do buy one from not us, be sure to know who you are getting it from. Silky has been having issues with retailers, on Amazon specifically, selling grey market "Factory 2nds" as firsts. Silky will not honor their warranty for one of those.

Ellie!!!!!

That is good information, I didn't know about the seconds situation. I'm not in any hurry for another saw because the one I have works so well, but seeing all those options gets my gears turning!

Ellie!! Welcome back! I appreciate the extra info! (Yes I'm using lots of "punctuation" on purpose) I'm definitely leaning towards the big boy 2000, the yellow handle is hard to swallow though! I need more green canvas micarta haha

So since the time I started this thread I had a little bit of a debacle out in the hills. Enough to give me that final push to send for some saws anyhow. I was in the hills on my snow machine and dumped it trying to get out of a steep little bowl I'd managed to get in. Ended up rolling it several times. The worst casualty was the windshield, ha :D I got away lucky, but with snow stuffed everywhere :eek:

After I got my bearings back and gear collected from the yardsale-on-the-hill, I got the sled running and found a spot to build a fire and dry out for a bit. I had plenty of equipment with me including a GSO 10 on my side, and also a 4.7 in the pack. The 10 made some quick work out of gathering kindling and producing tinder, no problems there. But as I worked the fire and brought it up to taking larger pieces, I started to realize that if I were needing to spend the night, I'd be working pretty hard for bigger fuel. There was plenty of smaller stuff, but it was being consumed quickly. There would have been very little sleep if I had been forced to stay.

J1kBPxU.jpg

F8Ye6E0.jpg

With the saw discussion fresh in my head, I started taking stock of my options if I'd had one with me. I could have easily gathered some larger dry wood with a saw that was possible, but difficult, with the 10. When I got home off that trip, I sent for two Silkys, the Gomboy 210 from S!K, and an Ultra Accel that I could not source from S!K (Ellie, there might be a gap in your line there sister, although I do realize that it's hard to carry everything).

I ran out yesterday to get some practice in, and am very happy with both blades :thumbup: I'm going to feel a lot better about having one in the pack now.

8mcd2EV.jpg

b6gdUaP.jpg

I started off letting the 210 do any delimbing that was necessary before making the cuts on the main section, and then went ahead and gave the first main cut to the 210.

SHmtWv5.jpg

I went ahead and grabbed the 240 after that and started knocking firewood pieces off the trunk fast. The Ultra Accel handled this size cut about ten strokes faster than the 210.

UrhsK0s.jpg

Size comparison. The 210 fits nicely one-handed. The 240 you can definitely get two hands on.

xms7uMT.jpg

vMzNqE0.jpg

Found an old fire ring that hadn't been used for awhile and carried the makings over

0WOjhWE.jpg

I brought the Fiddleback Production Camp Knife along on this trip. It hadn't seen as much use as I'd like, and it handled it's job really well, an excellent batoning and fire-prep blade IMO. It handled the twisted grain without issue.

5uaYZct.jpg

4xcJM4f.jpg

QlRpQ5T.jpg

Pwwoh0Z.jpg

The bark on this tree yielded up some nice dry fibrous material that fuzzed up well for catching sparks.

GfLVX1B.jpg

I5nZHF1.jpg

Made a few curls and broke down some more small kindling. The fuzz didn't disappoint, it took a spark well.

VgzLIQt.jpg

fl5OnEP.jpg

ug7c01C.jpg

AZcs9Yd.jpg

This camp fire brought to you by Survive Knives, Silky, Fiddleback Forge, Esee, Victorinox, and Hale Storm Custom Kydex.

XQSHvSz.jpg

aXsiFsS.jpg

Last edited:
Nice picture spread HK-
Especially liked the old school rifle flash hider cover and is that SAK one of the Chiral altered ones?

.....is that SAK one of the Chiral altered ones?

Nope, but I think it's the one chiral modeled his modifications after. :) He uses a bit different clip though. It's my edc, and my primary ferro rod striker, the awl.

Great post! So which do you like better, the Gomboy 210 or the Ultra Accel?

Hands down the Ultra Accel (thank you Man of Steel for the recommendation). The Ultra Accel feels like a serious piece of equipment. The handle is more rigid, and I love the fact that you can work two-handed. Also, even though it is significantly larger, it isn't much heavier, so there really is no reason to not take the Accel unless it physically is too large for your pack. I will say that when it first arrived, I was like whoa this is a big saw, maybe I made a mistake here. After that trip out, all those fears are gone.

Hands down the Ultra Accel (thank you Man of Steel for the recommendation). The Ultra Accel feels like a serious piece of equipment. The handle is more rigid, and I love the fact that you can work two-handed. Also, even though it is significantly larger, it isn't much heavier, so there really is no reason to not take the Accel unless it physically is too large for your pack. I will say that when it first arrived, I was like whoa this is a big saw, maybe I made a mistake here. After that trip out, all those fears are gone.
What an adventure! Glad you made it back home like you did. The saws don't seem too different in size. I need to look up their blade lengths. What size teeth do they each have?

My Silky bigboy really has turned me into a saw fan. For what I need the light weight, efficiency and safety really are appealing. The camp knife looks like a versatile size in general, but especially teamed up with a good saw.

Trust in the ManOfSteel!
I always do :D

I have the pocketboy w/ large teeth and the Gomboy both with the med teeth. The pocketboy does a pretty good job but I found that I needed a bigger saw. The Gomboy works better for what I was going. I wish that I got the larger teeth on the Gomboy but it works well for camping tasks. I'll probably get the next bigger professional model with the large teeth the next time I plan a multiday camping trip.

What an adventure! Glad you made it back home like you did. The saws don't seem too different in size. I need to look up their blade lengths. What size teeth do they each have?

My Silky bigboy really has turned me into a saw fan. For what I need the light weight, efficiency and safety really are appealing. The camp knife looks like a versatile size in general, but especially teamed up with a good saw.

For teeth, the 210 has an '8' etched on it, and I believe the 240 has a '7.5.' The teeth are pretty similar in size, and there's only about an inch of difference in the length of the blades. But I think the handle on the Accel clinches it, at least for me, for harder work. The Accel is staying in my wintertime hunting pack, I think I'll stow the 210 in my deer and elk pack. I still want a big boy though, especially after supertac said his buddy pitched the gomboy in the snow after using the big boy lol. I probably don't need it, but it's so hard to decide until you get some of this stuff in-hand. I need to look back and see if I can find a picture of the handle and the teeth on your big boy.

Edit: Teeth 5.5. The handle looks more constructed like my 210 though. See how the Accel handle looks with the aluminum running through? Feels very rigid that way, I like it.

I have the pocketboy w/ large teeth and the Gomboy both with the med teeth. The pocketboy does a pretty good job but I found that I needed a bigger saw. The Gomboy works better for what I was going. I wish that I got the larger teeth on the Gomboy but it works well for camping tasks. I'll probably get the next bigger professional model with the large teeth the next time I plan a multiday camping trip.

I get a little lost in all the models. For instance, I THINK there's a 240mm Gomboy (could be wrong I looked at a bunch recently). My Ultra Accel is 240mm, so I need to check out the difference if that's the case. The large teeth definitely handled this dried wood no problem.

Last edited:
I think the Ultra Accel or one size up would be a great next Silky to buy. I forgot to mention I loved your picture essay too!!

I think the Ultra Accel or one size up would be a great next Silky to buy. I forgot to mention I loved your picture essay too!!

Thanks bud. I really hope S!K decides to add that particular saw, the Ultra Accel 240, to their line. I'm really taken with the design of the body/handle on it.

Back