SK 4.7 Cruforge V Sample vs 4.1 M390 - Real world test

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Yes, I was as surprised as anyone to see this in the mail a couple days ago.

First, a HUGE THANK YOU to Guy and Ellie for sending me one to test. I'm honored.

If you've read anything on my posts about Survive!Knives, you'll already know I've been critical of certain things in the past. Mainly the difficulty of getting certain S!K knives and the business model, but, the knives are phenomenal and Guy and Ellie are world class individuals. Also, if you read the reviews and/or have read some of my posts, you know I am honest and can never be accused of being a "fan boy" for any product.

I wrote a review of the Survive GSO 3.5 in CPM-20CV vs. the Chris Reeve Nyala in S35VN when using both in the field to field dress a large hog my wife killed. While the Nyala is definitely beautiful in it's design and functional execution, the edge in performance went to the 3.5 in 20CV. Don't get me wrong, the 3.5 is a nice looking blade and the ergo's are great, at least for me. The CRK's only advantage is that it is more refined in it's design. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say the Nyala is "Elegant" and the GSO 3.5 is "Utilitarian". Not to mean the GSO is inferior, simply meaning that the GSO is meant to be a tool and everything about the fit and finish is excellent, but it is not designed to be a "designer" knife. I use my knives, and the GSO 3.5 and Nyala were the tools I had at the time. The 3.5 just worked better at processing that big hog and the 20CV's edge held up better when cutting through all the course hair, mud, rocks, and debris in the animals hide.

So, in that review, I stated that both the Nyala and the 3.5 were too small for my normal camp, and hunting tasks. I now have the older model 4.1 in M390 (one of my all time favorite steels).

The 4.1 seems to be too small as well and I've been on the hunt for the "perfect" size knife for all around camp chores and field dressing of big game animals like wild hogs and whitetails. I tried the 5.0 in CPM-3V but it was too thick and too short and "fat" it that makes sense. The 5.1 is even longer and I also have an ESEE 6 already so that size was getting up there where I might as well just use my ESEE Junglas.

I spoke of the new 4.7 and was going to wait around until the secondary market made one available and then pick one up and give it a try. Preliminary discussion of the size and new design handle had me wondering if it might be THE knife for me and my uses.

Well, unbeknownst to me, Guy and Ellie shipped me one of the pre-production samples to try. To make it even more of a surprise, I missed the email with the shipping notification so I just got home from work and there it was on the work bench in my shop. WOW!

In the coming days and weeks I'll do some real world testing with lots of pics and try to get out to the woods and camp (maybe this weekend). If you've seen the news, we've had some flooding near my home in Houston (17" of rain in one day). My work days have been 17 hours long all week and now I'm sick as a dog but wanted to get this posted so everyone can look for my coming reviews. If time allows, I'll try to get a predator hunt or two in and get some feedback on animal testing as well.

Here's the knife.

THANK YOU again to Guy and Ellie.

21aws4g.jpg
[/IMG]
11ue32o.jpg
[/IMG]
312kak1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I have one of the samples as well. I would be very interested in how it handles rust. I just posted elsewhere that I had the knife out for 3 hours in damp conditions and cleaned it about 30 minutes after getting home. In 4 hours I ended up with lots of little rust spots all over the uncoated steel.

But so far, that is really the only true negative I've encountered. It is a nice little knife! Hope you enjoy it!

Yes, I was as surprised as anyone to see this in the mail a couple days ago.

First, a HUGE THANK YOU to Guy and Ellie for sending me one to test. I'm honored.

If you've read anything on my posts about Survive!Knives, you'll already know I've been critical of certain things in the past. Mainly the difficulty of getting certain S!K knives and the business model, but, the knives are phenomenal and Guy and Ellie are world class individuals. Also, if you read the reviews and/or have read some of my posts, you know I am honest and can never be accused of being a "fan boy" for any product.

I wrote a review of the Survive GSO 3.5 in CPM-20CV vs. the Chris Reeve Nyala in S35VN when using both in the field to field dress a large hog my wife killed. While the Nyala is definitely beautiful in it's design and functional execution, the edge in performance went to the 3.5 in 20CV. Don't get me wrong, the 3.5 is a nice looking blade and the ergo's are great, at least for me. The CRK's only advantage is that it is more refined in it's design. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say the Nyala is "Elegant" and the GSO 3.5 is "Utilitarian". Not to mean the GSO is inferior, simply meaning that the GSO is meant to be a tool and everything about the fit and finish is excellent, but it is not designed to be a "designer" knife. I use my knives, and the GSO 3.5 and Nyala were the tools I had at the time. The 3.5 just worked better at processing that big hog and the 20CV's edge held up better when cutting through all the course hair, mud, rocks, and debris in the animals hide.

So, in that review, I stated that both the Nyala and the 3.5 were too small for my normal camp, and hunting tasks. I now have the older model 4.1 in M390 (one of my all time favorite steels).

The 4.1 seems to be too small as well and I've been on the hunt for the "perfect" size knife for all around camp chores and field dressing of big game animals like wild hogs and whitetails. I tried the 5.0 in CPM-3V but it was too thick and too short and "fat" it that makes sense. The 5.1 is even longer and I also have an ESEE 6 already so that size was getting up there where I might as well just use my ESEE Junglas.

I spoke of the new 4.7 and was going to wait around until the secondary market made one available and then pick one up and give it a try. Preliminary discussion of the size and new design handle had me wondering if it might be THE knife for me and my uses.

Well, unbeknownst to me, Guy and Ellie shipped me one of the pre-production samples to try. To make it even more of a surprise, I missed the email with the shipping notification so I just got home from work and there it was on the work bench in my shop. WOW!

In the coming days and weeks I'll do some real world testing with lots of pics and try to get out to the woods and camp (maybe this weekend). If you've seen the news, we've had some flooding near my home in Houston (17" of rain in one day). My work days have been 17 hours long all week and now I'm sick as a dog but wanted to get this posted so everyone can look for my coming reviews. If time allows, I'll try to get a predator hunt or two in and get some feedback on animal testing as well.

Here's the knife.

THANK YOU again to Guy and Ellie.

You are welcome! We appreciate honesty, and I really enjoyed your 3.5 review. Hopefully this size works out a bit better for you. We are looking forward to hearing more from you, once you are feeling better and the water subsides.

I have one of the samples as well. I would be very interested in how it handles rust. I just posted elsewhere that I had the knife out for 3 hours in damp conditions and cleaned it about 30 minutes after getting home. In 4 hours I ended up with lots of little rust spots all over the uncoated steel.

By uncoated steel, do you mean the edge? Or perhaps where the coating was removed?

How far east of Seattle if you don't mind? Bellevue or more like Spokane? I'm in the PNW as well, trying to get a feel for your climate vs mine.

Hale,

Hope you get some rest and feel better soon, and that the rains don't ruin your week.

About your commentary on the handle size, have you tried anything from Bark River?

Thanks very much, look forward to your feedback.

What a great guy to have received one. Looking forward to hearing more. Get well soon!

And hey.......... this means I could order a sheath attachment from you without having to send a 4.7 to you, right?????

I'm very interested if somebody can post some comparisons between the 5.0 and 4.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very interested if somebody can post some comparisons between the 5.0 and 4.7

I poached this from instagram. Someday I'll be able to give you as many comparison shots you can handle!

I have a 5.0 but I'm interested in something with thinner stock.
Is the 4.7 about the same?
I'm afraid my only option will be with 4.5..... which is a loooong way off.

I have a 5.0 but I'm interested in something with thinner stock.
Is the 4.7 about the same?
I'm afraid my only option will be with 4.5..... which is a loooong way off.

I see what you're getting at now.

The 5 (my favorite knife to date) is 3/16 of an inch or 0.188. The 4.7 is listed as 0.175. But what about the 4.1? The blade thickness is 0.160 and blade length 4.43 inches and will be sold on Mondays way sooner than the 4.5.

By uncoated steel, do you mean the edge? Or perhaps where the coating was removed?

How far east of Seattle if you don't mind? Bellevue or more like Spokane? I'm in the PNW as well, trying to get a feel for your climate vs mine.

Uncoated steel meant just the sharpened edge. And I live in Redmond. Where are you? The PNW is awesome!!

Like SN said, what a good guy to get one of these. I enjoy your straight forward talk my friend, and am looking forward to your thoughts. You might want some oil on that cutting edge quickly, though, in your part of the world. Also, I hate that you guys have had all the bad flooding, and I hope all our Texas brethren are safe.

Hale Storm
I'm looking forward to hearing how the 4.7 does on game processing. As much as I like my 4.7 I'd never consider it for that role. I'd think the 4.5 would be ideal in your case. Do you have one of these on preorder?

Looking forward to the review bud. And I don't know if were gonna see a slack in the rain soon or not, but hope you guys are safe.

But so far, that is really the only true negative I've encountered. It is a nice little knife! Hope you enjoy it!

I live 80 miles from the coast here in the South. We have 80% humidity most of the time. I have some 1095 knives that will rust if you merely mention the word rust. We'll see how the edge holds up to the humidity with regards to the rust.

Hale,

Hope you get some rest and feel better soon, and that the rains don't ruin your week.

About your commentary on the handle size, have you tried anything from Bark River?

Thanks very much, look forward to your feedback.

Yes, I've owned a few BR's. Most of the steel is A2 or 3V in the sizes of knives I like and rust is a huge problem here and I've never seen a coated BR. They've had a few in 154CM but I'm not a huge fan of that steel. Most of the BR's I own or owned were smaller versions in stainless super steels.

I'm excited about the SK 4.7 because of the coating. I have zero experience with Cruforge V so it should be interesting.

What a great guy to have received one. Looking forward to hearing more. Get well soon!

And hey.......... this means I could order a sheath attachment from you without having to send a 4.7 to you, right?????

Yes, Yes you can. And I'll own the 4.7 forever. You see, I have this thing, a rule if you will. I have bought, sold, and traded hundreds of knives. BUT, when someone gifts me a knife, I keep it forever. I just won't get rid of it, and ironically, I have some really crappy, sometimes funny knives that were gifted to me from friends and family who are not "knife" people. ;)

You know how that is when you ARE a knife person so people buy you knives that you would never buy yourself. I have a Lansky ResponderX9 in the glove box of my truck as an example.

Like SN said, what a good guy to get one of these. I enjoy your straight forward talk my friend, and am looking forward to your thoughts. You might want some oil on that cutting edge quickly, though, in your part of the world. Also, I hate that you guys have had all the bad flooding, and I hope all our Texas brethren are safe.

Thank you HK and Silver for the kind words. I'll get a little mineral oil on that edge (same thing I do with all of my ESEE knives) right away. Glad you mentioned it. With being sick, I didn't think about it once I read the mystery steel thread and realized this was a carbon based steel.

Hale Storm
I'm looking forward to hearing how the 4.7 does on game processing. As much as I like my 4.7 I'd never consider it for that role. I'd think the 4.5 would be ideal in your case. Do you have one of these on preorder?

Honestly I don't have much knowledge on the 4.5 other than what I've read. I love the look and measurements so far and the .115 thickness sounds like it would be a great skinner along with more belly and less drop at the point. I love 3v but sadly, it will rust in minutes down here in my humid climate. I have learned through experience I need to stick to stainless steels or coated carbons. otherwise, I spend way to much time working on rust prevention and worrying about rust.

Hmmm. Question. Is it possible to coat 3V? I don't believe I've seen it done but I could be wrong. Someone educate me please.

Around my lease we have whitetails and hogs and a lot of predators. The hogs get quite large and it takes a medium to larger knife to skin and quarter them. A typical hunting knife like the Buck 110 size, or the Chris Reeve Nyala, or GSO 3.5, is really too small for my tastes and use. I have the 4.1 and now the 4.7. I've already used the 3.5 and the 5. I'm thinking the 4.7 will fall right where I need it to be. I tend to use the same knife for camp chores as well. Splitting kindling, feather sticks, fire prep, food prep, etc. so a medium size knife is a necessity for me.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem carrying more than one knife if needed. On a typical day I have 2, 3, or 4 on my person at any given moment. :D

Looking forward to the review bud. And I don't know if were gonna see a slack in the rain soon or not, but hope you guys are safe.

All is well my friend. House came out fine and the family is all safe. My company car did get flooded out in front of the house but that's the only damage we received and of course that's all covered by the company I work for. Thanks for asking.

Back