SK 4.7 Cruforge V Sample vs 4.1 M390 - Real world test

I found this quote from Guy himself on another thread about the 4.5. I must say he does have the right mindset about a hunting knife. I'm definitely intrigued now.

"I also felt the design would lend itself to being a good hunting knife. I can't wait for hunting season to roll around. The low saber style grind is flat ground but the edge will be very thin and acute, which combined with the thinner blade will make it sail through almost any material. This certainly isn't one of my log baton splitting designs but I believe it will excel at many other tasks. The extremely light weight of a thinner design like this should make it a no brainer for bringing along on a hunt".

Hmmm. Question. Is it possible to coat 3V? I don't believe I've seen it done but I could be wrong. Someone educate me please.

It is possible. Generally, CPM-3V won't take a patina because of the alloy in it. However, there is no reason you couldn't Cerakote it, since that is a paint on style coating. We just don't do it because the CPM-3V does have some of its own corrosion resistance. With the new heat treat it should be even better. The test blade in our front yard still shows no signs of rust and it has been out there at least 6 months.

We DLC coated a few CPM-3V blades, but that doesn't really add much corrosion resistance and the colors can come out inconsistent.

There is a new issue with coating future SURVIVE! CPM-3V in regards to some of those high heat options like DLC or nickel based coatings. The low temper for the new heat treat means those sort of coatings are getting close to the range where the blade could become distempered. I will have to get some notes added around our website about that...

For what it's worth, I also have a 3.5 in 3v and sold a 5.1 in 3v, both factory coated with black titanium DLC and the colour was/is awesome.

I live in the Pacific North West. Lots of rain, salty air and all around humidity and mild temps.

So in short, so it doesn't rust. I know most 3v won't take a patina, and I'm a low maintenance kinda guy. I don't want a knife I have to keep oiled. I would rather pay more and get a stainless steel.

Coating gives you the best of both worlds.

It is possible. Generally, CPM-3V won't take a patina because of the alloy in it. However, there is no reason you couldn't Cerakote it, since that is a paint on style coating. We just don't do it because the CPM-3V does have some of its own corrosion resistance. With the new heat treat it should be even better. The test blade in our front yard still shows no signs of rust and it has been out there at least 6 months.

We DLC coated a few CPM-3V blades, but that doesn't really add much corrosion resistance and the colors can come out inconsistent.

There is a new issue with coating future SURVIVE! CPM-3V in regards to some of those high heat options like DLC or nickel based coatings. The low temper for the new heat treat means those sort of coatings are getting close to the range where the blade could become distempered. I will have to get some notes added around our website about that...

Thank you for bringing this up - does this affect resharpening? I guess hand sharpening wouldn't be an issue, but power?

Thank you for bringing this up - does this affect resharpening? I guess hand sharpening wouldn't be an issue, but power?

I will have to discuss this with Guy a bit since I don't know much about the other power sharpening methods. I know for what Guy does it isn't a big deal because he keeps the machines moving pretty slow. But for someone who may be regrinding the blade, to make a FFG for example, it could be an issue.

We encourage people to modify the blades and make them their own, but if you are ever unsure about the outcome definitely send us an email ahead of time.

Okay, so I promised a real world test of the new 4.7 in Cruforge V versus the old 4.1 in the venerable M390. As most already know, we had some serious flooding here last week. I live very close to one of a few reservoirs in our city and it flooded to record heights. My 15-20 minute commute to work each day has turned into 2-3 hours each way. Add 4 -6 hours of traffic to my work day and I haven't had time to do anything yet. On top of that I was sick as a dog.
BUT, we must push forward. S!K fans await and so do I!
What I've managed so far is to get some decent comparison pics of the 4.1 and 4.7.

Here they are. I hope to get to the woods this weekend or next but there is already a forecast for Noah's Ark type rain again this weekend. As soon as I can, I'll get some 'real' pics up while using the knives.

x3addy.jpg
[/IMG]
11u9tzn.jpg
[/IMG]
25jft6e.jpg
[/IMG]
160ugky.jpg
[/IMG]
6i7fw5.jpg
[/IMG]
2z3ysls.jpg
[/IMG]
s6psw4.jpg
[/IMG]
28r3b78.jpg
[/IMG]
33p9ag9.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry to hear about the flooding and your commute as well as you not feeling well. I hope all returns to normal soon!

Sorry to hear about the flooding and your commute as well as you not feeling well. I hope all returns to normal soon!

Thank you Scissors. The woods are calling to me at night in my sleep. I gotta get out of the city soon...........fish, hunt, camp, cut, chop, carve, slice, skin, baton,.............

And I have this incredible new blade to put through it's paces.

Sorry to hear that bad news. Is your new and improved commute because you have to drive way out of your way or congestion or both? That is insane! Be safe out there. Get well soon!

As far as the knife, that is some seriously improved handle length. Cant wait to see new spec 4.1 vs old. Wow, those contours. Wow, that blade height. Wow, that coating looks so good. Great comparison shots. Thanks for taking the time to do that :thumbup:

Sorry to hear that bad news. Is your new and improved commute because you have to drive way out of your way or congestion or both? That is insane! Be safe out there. Get well soon!

As far as the knife, that is some seriously improved handle length. Cant wait to see new spec 4.1 vs old. Wow, those contours. Wow, that blade height. Wow, that coating looks so good. Great comparison shots. Thanks for taking the time to do that :thumbup:

My new commute is because the main throughway from my house to work is in the middle of the reservoir and flooded. Normal commute time is about 15-20 minutes each way.

Now I need some help here: I'll post separately so people will see it.

Now that I have some decent pics in the sunlight, can someone tell me the color of the blade and the scales?

I'm a tad color blind and I asked my kids but I won't even tell you the colors they told me yet. Then again, they don't know what Desert Tan and Coyote Brown are either. :D

Hale Storm I'm a tad bit colorblind too. It makes life a little more interesting. I'm curious to see what your kids said they were. I ask my daughter and my son and they give me two different colors. 😳

My son said the blade was brown and the scales were a dull green with a little brown in it, very much like Olive Drab. My daughter said the same but wasn't sure about the scales. My son knows what OD is and my daughter doesn't. I did show them several colors of kydex samples to compare it with (I'm building a custom sheath for it). My daughter laughed when I showed her a piece of kydex and told her it was "Chocolate Brown".
She said we're worse than chicks when it comes to "colors". :D

Back