SK5 vs San Mai vs 3v, your favorite CS fixed blade, steel, what you do with it

Hashishiin

Gold Member
I understand SK5 is a low-alloy Japanese tool steel. I have an idea of how good 3V is - got an SRK in it today and am impressed, bet I will like it over S35VN. But, San Mai, seems priced less than 3V but more than SK5 by a lot - is it still quite good, the San Mai?

My SRK was 130-40ish. It's about 100 in San Mai, what carbon is used? Would sure like one in Carbon V, and to know what other worthwhile fixed blades might be considerable while the steel is still good. Master Hunter? Master Tanto? Any really good SK5 models? Seems more like a truck-knife double for something ya like more, is it not?

I understand SK5 is a low-alloy Japanese tool steel. I have an idea of how good 3V is - got an SRK in it today and am impressed, bet I will like it over S35VN. But, San Mai, seems priced less than 3V but more than SK5 by a lot - is it still quite good, the San Mai?

My SRK was 130-40ish. It's about 100 in San Mai, what carbon is used? Would sure like one in Carbon V, and to know what other worthwhile fixed blades might be considerable while the steel is still good. Master Hunter? Master Tanto? Any really good SK5 models? Seems more like a truck-knife double for something ya like more, is it not?

Where do you see the SM SRK selling for $100? I see it over $150 and priced a bit higher than the 3V.
No carbon steel used on the San Mai, it's VG10 core and "probably" 420j2 outside. If that is what you are asking.

Where do you see the SM SRK selling for $100? I see it over $150 and priced a bit higher than the 3V.
No carbon steel used on the San Mai, it's VG10 core and "probably" 420j2 outside. If that is what you are asking.
Big river site if I am not confused.... really?
Last night it seemed that San Mai was cheaper all around than 3v. I think I was confused.

Huh, wouldn't think laminated VG10 would be more desirable than 3v.

Last night it seemed that San Mai was cheaper all around than 3v. I think I was confused.

Intereting. Looking at that big river site, I see one SM SRK for $167 and one for $114.
The latter would be a very good deal, Assuming it's legit.

I believe Either 3V or VG10 core Sanmai would be fine for this size knife as other companies have been and are using them.
3V is a powder steel but it's not stainless. The attributes of each are simply a matter of personal preference.

I think 3V is probably more desirable for most. It is, quite simply, one of the best knife steels in the world. San Mai is an answer to a question that really no longer exists. Even 3V is virtually stainless. And for a hard use tool it is superior in every way.

In my opinion the only thing San Mai offers over other steels is a certain coolness. It's a steel sandwich. That's pretty awesome.

That's the thing... I don't need a big VG10 fixed blade, so I'll let knives like my HAP40/SUS-410 Ladybug satisfy that San Mai urge, or future kitchen knives. I think I'll be happy with the 3v because even though it has worse retention than M4, it still shaved after I batonned through, cut, chopped at and carved this hard Walnut cane I am working on, and then sliced veggies for dinner better than the hollow-ground Kobun (Also got an AUS8 Kobun for no discernable reason, seems solid though).

Stainlessness is good, like more than M4, less than Cruwear. This is my second 3V knife, my other is a BM 200 Puukko. Seems like the SRK is best in 3V (Heck, it's a true do-it-all survival knife) but the SK5 is a beater version, that'll still do your chores but you wouldn't wanna bet your life on, and the San Mai... you gotta be that kind of person to want it, suppose.

Bought the SRK (and a beautiful leather sheath! I was thinking, "Okay, this knife is great, but I do not wanna spend $80 commissioning one, what should I do, use the cardboard sheath like some criminal? Cause I am not putting that knife in that Sucker-ex." And, like magic, a perfect handmade sheath for the knife comes for sale for a great price! It fit my 119 sheath, but weridly.

I have also been getting into older steels like their XHP, just received two Espadas, a large and XL, in XHP. Want a Broken Skull.

Interested to see how it holds up to the S35VN and AUS-10a, (I now have 1 fancy in S35, two AUSs, an XHP XL and an XHP Large.) Thinking of putting the black XHP blade onto a fancy XL, for a black + aluminum look. I could do the same with the large, too, but the frame I have has a missing bolster.

I have the SRK in CPM-3V. I got it for about $138, but Midway just had them on sale for $105! I was tempted to buy another.

Regarding the steels, SK5 is essentially 1085 high carbon steel, with a good heat treatment by Cold Steel. San Mai 3 is desirable for those who want a very sharp stainless knife, that will hold an edge. It has a VG10 core, and I believe the external laminates are 420J something. They're great knives for using in wet environments, but VG10 tends to chip due to the hardness. CPM-3V us extremely tough, sharp, and is semi-stainless. What I don't know, is whether CPM-3V is actually tougher than a high carbon steel without any chromium. My suspicion is that SK5 will actually put up with more abuse, and is easier to sharpen. I'd love to be wrong about that, because I have the CPM-3V SRK. I refuse to buy the SK5 version, until Cold Steel returns it to a flat grind. No one wants that weak tip, caused by the hollow grind.

Regarding s35vn, my understanding is that CPM-3V is far better in every way, except the fact that it's only half stainless. S35vn is a "super stainless steel". It will still have the negative attributes of stainless steels. CPM-3V is almost like a tool steel with some chromium in it.

I've seen prices on CS knives in 3V and San Mai go up and down, and sometimes the same knife might cost more in San Mai or more in 3V, but not on all models.

The Magnum Tanto XII fluctuates often, and now I usually see the Trailmaster in 3V cheaper than San Mai, but that is probably due to the now well-known grinding defect.

The Magnum Tanto II is usually $30+ more in 3V and they are also usually the older saber grinds with DLC coating.

The Master Tanto usually costs significantly more in 3V but I have seen it cheaper than San Mai once and bought a couple.

The San Mai Warcraft Tantos are more than the discontinued 3V series before they were taken out of production. I suspect they'd cost more if they bring them back in 3V as the "Warcraft Tanto Classic." (Joke for those who remember the New Coke.)

My favorite CS knife is the Tanto/Master Tanto series.

I really like the design and the feel of the handle.

I'm not sure which steel they were/are made in is the best, my original Tanto's mystery steel, or my Master Tantos' San Mai or 3V.

I don't think it really matters much.

I did not include the Outdoorsman since I don't have one yet.

I watched a YouTube video today, where they compared chopping nails and bolts with high carbon steel blades, Magnacut, and CPM-3V. All blades tested were sharpened to an 18 degree angle on both sides, for consistency. The guy used a mallet to bush the blade through the nails and bolts. Magnacut did great for a stainless steel. It couldn't compare with high carbon (he didn't specify 1075-1085). The CPM-3V blade he was using, was his own heat treat of CPM-3V, which he called "Delta-3V". The "Delta-3V" performed the best by far. This was a video by a custom knife maker, who doesn't even list prices on his website, so I'm guessing these are extremely high quality, and extremely expensive knives. I'm not sure how his Delta-3V compares to CPM-3V. I believe he said the metallic components were the same, but the heat treat was modified slightly. I'm still searching for a direct comparison of CPM-3V vs 1075-1095. It seems CPM-3V us much stronger and tougher than I thought. I wouldn't have thought it could compare to carbon steel, due to the chromium content.

Oh that's Nathan Carrothers, he ha a subforum here. Users and reviewers of his knives say his heat treat is excellent. His Knife models are made in batches and advertised for sale here when available.

I looked at his website. There were no prices. I'm going to assume that means they're way out of my price range! 😂

Oh that's Nathan Carrothers, he ha a subforum here. Users and reviewers of his knives say his heat treat is excellent. His Knife models are made in batches and advertised for sale here when available.
I'd definitely prefer his large Delta-3V, full tang blade, over a Cold Steel Trailmaster in CPM-3V. Cold Steel has had quality control issues with the CPM-3V Trailmaster, and I'm not a fan of the handle. I'm guessing his full tang, Delta-3V blade that's similar, is over $1,0000.

I watched a YouTube video today, where they compared chopping nails and bolts with high carbon steel blades, Magnacut, and CPM-3V. All blades tested were sharpened to an 18 degree angle on both sides, for consistency. The guy used a mallet to bush the blade through the nails and bolts. Magnacut did great for a stainless steel. It couldn't compare with high carbon (he didn't specify 1075-1085). The CPM-3V blade he was using, was his own heat treat of CPM-3V, which he called "Delta-3V". The "Delta-3V" performed the best by far. This was a video by a custom knife maker, who doesn't even list prices on his website, so I'm guessing these are extremely high quality, and extremely expensive knives. I'm not sure how his Delta-3V compares to CPM-3V. I believe he said the metallic components were the same, but the heat treat was modified slightly. I'm still searching for a direct comparison of CPM-3V vs 1075-1095. It seems CPM-3V us much stronger and tougher than I thought. I wouldn't have thought it could compare to carbon steel, due to the chromium content.

3V is significantly tougher than 1095.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure. Now I'm extra glad I bought the CPM-3V CS SRK. I'd like to buy the CPM-3V Trailmaster, but Cold Steel needs to fix the quality control.

I like SM from Japan CS knives, CV from the USA, and Italian 3V. But, I really just collect CS out of nostalgia- I don’t use them. I use other knives and retired a CV Laredo, so for me it’s really more about good deals on old stuff. I do have a 3V SRK I actually use and it’s solid. But, I’m working in the yard, not in a war zone, so it isn’t pushed too much.

I don't use my knives much either. I pretty much just use 3 of them. I really need to stop buying new ones, but it's difficult! Currently, whenever I go to purchase a new one, I stop and remind myself that it's one more knife I have to keep oiled if it's not stainless, and sharpen. I honestly have no need for the CPM-3V Trailmaster, but it's such a badass blade that can do pretty much anything. My Ontario SP10 Marine Raider Bowie can do the same thing. Heck, I batoned a bunch of logs with my Cold Steel Chaos Bowie, which is 5mm thick SK5. It's not really meant for batoning, but it showed zero damage after batoning like 16 sections from 3 different cut logs, including hardwood. Consequently, I don't need the Trailmaster. I just want it!

Back