SK5 vs San Mai vs 3v, your favorite CS fixed blade, steel, what you do with it

There is nothing wrong with the heat treating of Cold Steels 3V; its being done by Peters and they are well known for doing an excellent heat treat job.I have a Trailmaster and recon scout in 3v their grind lines and finish are fine. Ive used the 3v Recon Scout and it performs great. I carved down a couple of 6" diameter pieces of wood to make the end pointy to hammer into the ground for fence posts,it really worked well and the knife was still sharp afterwards.The Carothers are great knives,just about the best out there,but they are hard to come by ; the latest list to get on is long sold out .Theres 1 big chopper/bowie on the exchange if you want to pay over 1000.00 for it.And they are double the price on the popular auction site.

Where did you hear/read about Peter's doing the heat treat? I'm interested in verifying this as it would give me a different opinion of CS's 3V. It just seems strange they would heat treat here when the knices are made in Taiwan currently.

Not saying anything bad about CS's heat treat, or who they buy from, I should say. Peter's just adds another layer of reliability, to me.

Where did you hear/read about Peter's doing the heat treat? I'm interested in verifying this as it would give me a different opinion of CS's 3V. It just seems strange they would heat treat here when the knices are made in Taiwan currently.

Not saying anything bad about CS's heat treat, or who they buy from, I should say. Peter's just adds another layer of reliability, to me.
This was an exchange in the Cold Steel forum about CS CPM-3V:
0F85443C-13C7-4716-84B7-91437122A225.jpeg4BC83CF8-2A6C-4EAA-8DC6-8216ABBE94CA.jpeg

This was an exchange in the Cold Steel forum about CS CPM-3V:
View attachment 2430405View attachment 2430406

That's interesting for sure. So that was while Demko was still associated with Cold Steel? I can't remember exactly when Demko split off after the GSM acquisition. Seems it was around 2020.

Thank you for sharing. That really makes the recent 3V SRK's price more surprising.

That's interesting for sure. So that was while Demko was still associated with Cold Steel? I can't remember exactly when Demko split off after the GSM acquisition. Seems it was around 2020.

Thank you for sharing. That really makes the recent 3V SRK's price more surprising.
Yeah Demko was still with CS at that time.

Back