Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

Here's a few fast and dirty pictures of that sword I mentioned. Still have a lot of work to do on her, but just glad to get this far.

Good to see you, David. :thumbup:

The sword is looking good but your bonsai are beautiful.

Thanks Chris, yeah, I'm still around, just thought it was time to hang out in more positive places. I've had most of these bonsai's for 30 years or so.

Real nice looking blade David, is that one made from A2?

Yes, it's A2, Scott. I did some research on this steel, and found Rob Criswell make a lot of katana's for it. That pretty much alleviated any concerns I had with A2.

A2 is a great steel and I'm thinking I may go back to doing some blades out of it at some point. It's nice to work with very tough, an takes a great edge it even has some improved corrosion resistance compared to the plain carbon steels.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it is very stable during heat treating with little warpage.

That fuller (different name when it's on a sword?) is impressive, wow. If I ever get my forge set up I'm gonna kidnap you:D

I know I'm not the only one thinking "more pictures!".

Bark River uses A2 in some of there blades, but I've noticed with in the tool manufactures like Lie-Nielsen they have been using A2 and have started making socket chisels out of A2 last I checked those were running about $50.00 dollars a piece and those can probably go toe to toe with the good Japanese chisels. As far as I know A2 is still one of the best plane blade steels. My best guess is with all the great stainlesses available now days they don't have to use A2, the powdered stainlesses steels can surpass it in edge retention but not toughness. Another thing I forgot to mention and if I remember correctly came David Boye A2 needs top notch heat treating, correct temperature is critical. I have had almost all of my stuff heat treated by Bodycote I sent a batch to Paul Bos once and didn't notice a difference in quality. This is just one of my rambling opinions, take it for what it's worth. lol

That fuller (different name when it's on a sword?) is impressive, wow. If I ever get my forge set up I'm gonna kidnap you:D

I do the fullers manually, John. It's the only way I know to get them perfect. As I progress, I'll post more.

Yes indeed, that fuller sure is sweet isn't it.

Bark River uses A2 in some of there blades, but I've noticed with in the tool manufactures like Lie-Nielsen they have been using A2 and have started making socket chisels out of A2 last I checked those were running about $50.00 dollars a piece and those can probably go toe to toe with the good Japanese chisels. As far as I know A2 is still one of the best plane blade steels. My best guess is with all the great stainlesses available now days they don't have to use A2, the powdered stainlesses steels can surpass it in edge retention but not toughness. Another thing I forgot to mention and if I remember correctly came David Boye A2 needs top notch heat treating, correct temperature is critical. I have had almost all of my stuff heat treated by Bodycote I sent a batch to Paul Bos once and didn't notice a difference in quality. This is just one of my rambling opinions, take it for what it's worth. lol
I'm not set up to Ht full size swords. This one's going to Brad at Peters HT.

I'm not set up to Ht full size swords. This one's going to Brad at Peters HT.

I don't do any heat treating but from what I understand A2 is tricky to heat treat and benefits greatly from a cryogenic quench. I've heard a lot of good things about Peters Heat Treating I may try them some time.

I don't do any heat treating but from what I understand A2 is tricky to heat treat and benefits greatly from a cryogenic quench. I've heard a lot of good things about Peters Heat Treating I may try them some time.
They have never done a full size sword for me, and the only reason I went with A2 in the first place is because they can HT a full size sword, but only if it is an air hardening steel. The good thing about Peter's is over time you build up a relationship with the head of the Ht department, Brad. He's a decent guy. I do Ht all of my knives, but anything over 18" goes out.

Bodycote in Racine only does air hardened steels as well, some time when I have more time I might fart around with some heat treating but now there getting sent out.

Bodycote in Racine only does air hardened steels as well, some time when I have more time I might fart around with some heat treating but now there getting sent out.
It's easier to send them out, Scott, and not really that expensive. By the time a guy heat treats a knife, he could almost have another one done, or at least profiled and rough ground. Have you guys ever given any thought to doing folders? I wish I had started doing them early. I encourage both of you to think about it. They outsell fixed blades, and bring a higher price too. As for me and swords, I just like doing them, it's a hell of a challenge. Not a big market for them, although I've done pretty well.

Moving parts scare me, I leave that to Tim!

I'd like to do them one day but theres so much with fixed blades I want to try.

Yes David, I have actually made a couple of friction folders and one lock blade not from kits but that was a long time ago, I put the horse before the cart and focused on fixed blades but this Scagel is looking like a very real possibility.

Back