Small fixed blades - underrated and underutilized for edc.

Recycled pics. But love me little fixies. I sooooooo really need to save for a Horsewright. I could see one of those becoming my EDC of EDC's.

The Fav's

3HtCF7V.jpg

Odds-n-Ends

HAvn2bn.jpg

87aAjvN.jpg

The Bunch

BjOcMES.jpg

Looks like a winner. Flat ground S35VN. Thin steel. I like spear points for general woods use quite a bit (Kepahrt pattern) and this is similar. Depends a lot on the sheath if it will work for regular carry.

If you get it, I would be very interested in your impressions.

I am hesitant about the stock sheath. Not the quality of it, rather that I prefer hip carry and would have to get some sort of tech lock or other plastic mount type clip and that makes the carry profile stick out from my hip more. In the past, I have caught door jams, table tops and corners on this type of set up.

I would try to get a leather sheath for certain.

I am hesitant about the stock sheath. Not the quality of it, rather that I prefer hip carry and would have to get some sort of tech lock or other plastic mount type clip and that makes the carry profile stick out from my hip more. In the past, I have caught door jams, table tops and corners on this type of set up.

That's why I don't like Tek locks. Yes, but an aftermarket sheath would potentially add significant cost unless you made it.

The spyderco g-clips do not protrude as badly which is why I use them. They're worth a look, IMO.

The spyderco g-clips do not protrude as badly which is why I use them. They're worth a look, IMO.

It's true - I picked up a spyderco mule a couple of months ago and bought the stock scales as well as boltaron sheath with the g-clip. Less obtrusive in my limited carry of it so far.

By the way - good fortune to you and your knife company endevour. From what you have written about it, I appreciate the upfront and honest approach to your product and service; being more than a profit driven platform. I know you still need to make a dollar at the end of the day, but other values can be intentional as well. I believe such customer care intentions create loyalty and thus more business down the road. A win win for everyone.

That's why I don't like Tek locks. Yes, but an aftermarket sheath would potentially add significant cost unless you made it.
I have had some luck wet forming various JRE sheaths to fit awkward handles. Battle Horse knives has some sheaths that I have also had success with.

These two brands tend to be a little less expensive than going a custom route. I did some leather work back in high school....but that was like '98, and I dare say, I might have forgotten that knowledge. I guess there are kits, but I have not looked at those with a serious eye to try one out.

Often times, I can scab a sheath from another knife as I have enough blades floating around without much for them to do.

Last edited:
It's true - I picked up a spyderco mule a couple of months ago and bought the stock scales as well as boltaron sheath with the g-clip. Less obtrusive in my limited carry of it so far.

By the way - good fortune to you and your knife company endevour. From what you have written about it, I appreciate the upfront and honest approach to your product and service; being more than a profit driven platform. I know you still need to make a dollar at the end of the day, but other values can be intentional as well. I believe such customer care intentions create loyalty and thus more business down the road. A win win for everyone.

Thank you much for the kind words. It's motivating to hear such things while I plug away at getting this puppy off the ground.

How do folks carry a fixed blade on their belt? I can’t seem to make it work without it being super obvious that I’m carrying a knife. I mostly pocket carry my small fixed blades.

How do folks carry a fixed blade on their belt? I can’t seem to make it work without it being super obvious that I’m carrying a knife. I mostly pocket carry my small fixed blades.

Crossdraw right across the waist for me. Getting a long knife doesn't help, but I'm content with a blade under 3" for that type of carry. My dislike for handles much under 4" doesn't help me conceal, but I think I've found a knife, JK Bluegill, that will work well with the smaller grip area and tuck away nicely there even without a big baggy shirt. If I have a baggy shirt on, then it's back to the full-handle as I just like the pinky having something to hold.

In the waistband isn't too bad either. Put a tether on the belt so when you draw the knife the tether pulls the sheath off. I think Horsewright Horsewright has something similar for the pocket he calls a bungaroo or something like that. I found out about it from the maker of the CRKT obake.

At about 0:50 in they get into the tethering setup.

I have had some luck wet forming various JRE sheaths to fit awkward handles. Battle Horse knives has some sheaths that I have also had success with.

These two brands tend to be a little less expensive than going a custom route. I did some leather work back in high school....but that was like '98, and I dare say, I might have forgotten that knowledge. I guess there are kits, but I have not looked at those with a serious eye to try one out.

Often times, I can scab a sheath from another knife as I have enough blades floating around without much for them to do.

If you are wanting to get back into it check out Sheaths and Such here on BF. Lots of leather crafting sheath making info over there. Particularly in the stickies.

If you are wanting to get back into it check out Sheaths and Such here on BF. Lots of leather crafting sheath making info over there. Particularly in the stickies.
Thank you good sir, for the helpful direction.

I just carry them with by what ever sheath they come with. Fortunately, I live in Texas where no one really cares what people carry unless you try to go into a school, court house, police station, bar, federal property or "mental health" facility, places I tend to avoid anyway. Well, also "secure areas" of airports, but I haven't been in one of those since 2012.

If I do have to enter one of those places, I just leave the knives in the vehicle but leave the sheaths on my belt.

I really liked my Fallkniven Kolt. Great size but the sharpening notch was a problem getting hung up on stuff and the stock a bit thick. Otherwise I like a small fixed blade generally.

Back