Small fixed blades - underrated and underutilized for edc.

Here ya' go.

88184766_10220937142886757_7301940806930137088_o.jpg
I like the snap flap - bit of extra security.

Some more personal every day carry fixed blade options:

K4ZMb4Yl.jpg

Fiddleback Bushboot, Old School Karda, and Esquire. Bottom blade is an AA Forge Mini Trapper
These four ride in leather hip carry sheaths. All of them are greater than 6" and less than 7", except the Bushboot which is just over 7".

Pscnvm0l.jpg

Fallkniven WM1, ESEE Canduru, Auston Goldman (BF maker), Shaerks Knives Mongrel, LT Wright Frontier Valley, Dan Koster
These are all hip carry, although I can wear the WM 1 sheath inverted and under my left armpit which I will do when hiking with a backpack that has a hipbelt. Most are in the 6" range, except the ESEE which is smaller and the WM 1 which is over 7".

OvxS8mRl.jpg

Alfa-Knife Ak-5, Black Roc knives one off sheepsfoot, and 2 Shaerks Knives Bacaraca
These are all in kydex and I carry them inverted, under my left arm pit (while hiking and under a vest or shirt around town). Typically just anchor them with p-cord slung around my back and over my right shoulder, secured with a truckers hitch. All are just a little over 7" except for the Black Roc which comes in just under 7".

Last edited:
Some good knives here.
For me it's not either or, depends what I'm up to.I really like fixed small blades, usually just in a pocket.

Here's a few of my favourites a couple of customs & puma cobra.
cymOQ8.jpg
VAYFod.jpg
UMNCSg.jpg

I like the snap flap - bit of extra security.

The eyelet closest to the handle also hooks in front of the heel of the blade, so you have to lift the blade back to clear it before pulling it out. VERY secure.

The eyelet closest to the handle also hooks in front of the heel of the blade, so you have to lift the blade back to clear it before pulling it out. VERY secure.
All in all, the whole package (knife, scales and sheath) looks pretty slick.

I have had one negative and informative incident with an inverted kydex sheath (no snap or eyelet behind the heal) knife under my left armpit; while getting out of my car, I some how applied enough upward force to the butt of the knife (with my hip bone?) and combined with the torso twisting motion to exit the vehicle and may be my shirt creating some friction to grab at the knife.... (not sure as I did not see this happen as it occurred under some clothing) popped the knife out of the kydex.

I discovered this only by hearing the sound of the knife clattering on the pavement at my feet. Bit of a close call from a safe carry perspective. The looser fit of this particular kydex sheath did not seem like it would release that easily, but I guess this was a unique set of circumstances that all came together in a surprising manner.

The extra security of the eyelet hooking the heal of the knife, plus the snap really makes sense to me.

I prefer pocket carry... and I never carried a knife around my neck... I can't see it as a good idea...
I designed and built a neck knife in collaboration with 2 other knife makers and wear it daily for the past couple of years. With my kydex sheath, it's one handed user friendly, and it's CPM-20CV with G10 scales so it is strong and holds an incredible edge as well as standing up to the rigors of being here in the South with 85% relative humidity. It is my most used blade.

Carrying a fixed blade around the neck or in the pocket seems just natural and simple to me. Because now I can... In town, I focused on slipjoints. Now that i'm living in the country, I totally indulge in wearing fixed blades.
Just some in my rotation. These are neckers and they are good at being neckers. I mean the sheath is secure enough that I don't ever fear for my gut. And I value my gut, a lot... I put them on in the morning, put them down before sleeping (sometimes I might even forget) :
pXLaabJ.jpg

Nc3P9hg.jpg

w6mo9gH.jpg

2PCqU4S.jpg

drdZhAl.jpg
That last one looks like the old EK&T Companion.

Under-rated, I don't think so. Under-rated suggest that people low ball the utility, which I don't think many people do. They have other considerations, but not the utility.
I think that there are a few factors, and these have probably been mentioned by others, legality; lots of places restrict fixed and not folders, and so it can be harder to carry if you don't really know all your local laws. I cannot carry a fixed as an EDC, but if I'm fishing, its totally okay. Quality and design, I think for a long time, smaller knives have just been scaled down big knives, and so you end up with durability, or geometry problems, egros that don't work because of "balance" You think of how many small knives now that have full four finger grips but only an inch or two of blade, its more than it was, but still not as many as 1:1 blade:handle size.

I have to disagree with both points. I think people do indeed underrate smaller fixed-blade knives. You just need to peruse this forum a bit and find all the folks posting their "survival," "SHTF," "woods," knives that are gigantic Bowie knives or choppers... in immaculate shape... almost like they were brand new and never used... Yeah, no one carries stuff like that who actually uses their knives daily. I don't mean weekend trips to the woods. I mean daily. And those folks (who carry the giant blades) severely underrate small knives, which they curiously claim aren't capable of what they need a knife to do. Exactly what they need in the woods from a knife that probably fits the definition of a sword is a mystery to me. Mors Kochanski (the author of "Bushcraft") has discussed this subject at length. The fact that he feels a need to explain to people the value of a short blade shows you that lots and lots of people underrate a small fixed-blade knife. The fact that people still think a Bowie knife is a woodsman's knife (and not a fighting knife, which is what it actually is) shows you. You can see that here on this forum.

I also have to disagree with your point about ergos and balance. A knife isn't "balanced" just because the blade and handle are the same length or because there is an actual balance point right on the hilt, etc. A knife is balanced depending on how you plan to use it. Look at traditional bushcraft knives like the Finnish pukko or the Skookum bush tool. They have full size handles and a "small" blade, and yet they are finely "balanced" because of the way you are supposed to use such a knife: grip high on the handle, as close to the blade as possible, and use the blade as close to the choil (i.e., as close to your finger) as possible for woodcraft chores. A Kukri is the opposite: extremely top-heavy with a balance point way up the blade, but that's because it's a weapon designed to be swung for chopping and slicing attacks. Both kinds of knives are perfectly "balanced," as determined by their use, not some general formula that supposedly applies to all knives...

Anyway, I’m encouraged to see so many people carrying smaller fixed-blade knives cross draw style and horizontal. I started doing it myself last year when I got back stateside, just because it worked so well. It’s a very good, convenient location for a knife. I have been living nomadically on the road since last September, so I mostly “open carry,” i.e. I keep it outside of my shirts. The knife can easily be “concealed” by pulling my shirt over it. Others have mentioned the legal aspect of carrying a fixed-blade knife, and it’s worth discussing a bit more.

Like with gun laws, there seem to be 50 different sets of rules for knives, plus the federal government, but as a general rule, it seems that you should mostly be okay with a fixed-blade knife if it is in a sheath on your waist, readily-visible, and doesn’t look too scary. Similar to the story jackknife related above, in California, for example, any fixed blade is a “dirk” or “dagger,” but it is legal if open-carried in a sheath on the waist. Concealed fixed blade carry (no matter how small the blade) is a major felony in California.

I wouldn’t test that theory in New York City, either, of course, and I’m not a lawyer, but I have noticed a lot of travelers and even hobos I’ve met on the road over the past six months carrying fixed-blade knives openly, usually vertically on the strong-side hip. And these are people who constantly “interacting” with LE, and no one has taken their knives yet. Again, I’m not a lawyer and YMMV, but that’s what they say. Of course, this is only an issue to think about if you cross state lines frequently.

Since I have been on the road, I’ve been using my knife more regularly, and I like the speed and convenience of a fixed blade, plus there’s nothing to flip open and no moving parts or guts to get clogged with sand or fruit juice/sap or whatever you’re dealing with.

Here’s a pic taken just a moment ago as I was getting ready to turn in for the night.

kMZPiPW.jpg

Here’s the knife when it was new (pic taken about 11 years ago). Blade is closer to 3” than 4”. My hand is between a men's "small" and "medium."

ohMJHPD.jpg

That last one looks like the old EK&T Companion.
Yes, it is. Companion Gen 1. A very well made little knife. However, the retaining action of the sheath has weakened to the point it is now pocket carry only. I must say this happens with all Kydex sheathes that snap on the heel of the blade. Those that age very well as tip up necker carry snap on the handle of the knife. And these would be (from the top) 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Since I have been on the road, I’ve been using my knife more regularly, and I like the speed and convenience of a fixed blade, plus there’s nothing to flip open and no moving parts or guts to get clogged with sand or fruit juice/sap or whatever you’re dealing with.

Even though I EDC a fixed blade regularly, I'm not sure I agree with that entirely - this may hold true if you're open carrying in a kydex or plastic sheath - fast access with a thumb ramp and you can stick the blade back in dirty and clean everything later if you want.

But if you have your fixed blade in a pocket or in a leather sheath, that changes immediately. If I get gunk on my fixed blade, it's definitely getting cleaned off before it goes back in a leather sheath. A folder that can be rinsed in 99% isoprop solution later and can simply be folded into its frame to protect the inside of my pants pocket from gunk is much less problematic. Easier to access too when compared to a fixed blade sheathed in leather.

Here ya' go.

88184766_10220937142886757_7301940806930137088_o.jpg

I assume this can be set up for horizontal carry using the clip? On the left side of the belt and using right hand draw.

Edit. I finally read the earlier posts. Just parachord for now and working on screws?

Last edited:
I assume this can be set up for horizontal carry using the clip? On the left side of the belt and using right hand draw.

Edit. I finally read the earlier posts. Just parachord for now and working on screws?

Yes, it can go on the other side of the belt as well, for cross-draw. You just put it on that side instead of the right, but no other change. In the process of sourcing the appropriate hardware for attaching a full belt loop.

I wear my small fixed blades the same way (horizontal for right-handed cross-draw.) Years ago, I changed the way I wear my belt though (buckle on opposite side.) Took some time to adjust but I find it keeps the knife handle clear of belt strap and it's easier to slide the sheath off without having to take off my entire belt. YMMV. :)

Last edited:
I have to disagree with both points. I think people do indeed underrate smaller fixed-blade knives. You just need to peruse this forum a bit and find all the folks posting their "survival," "SHTF," "woods," knives that are gigantic Bowie knives or choppers... in immaculate shape... almost like they were brand new and never used... Yeah, no one carries stuff like that who actually uses their knives daily. I don't mean weekend trips to the woods. I mean daily. And those folks (who carry the giant blades) severely underrate small knives, which they curiously claim aren't capable of what they need a knife to do. Exactly what they need in the woods from a knife that probably fits the definition of a sword is a mystery to me. Mors Kochanski (the author of "Bushcraft") has discussed this subject at length. The fact that he feels a need to explain to people the value of a short blade shows you that lots and lots of people underrate a small fixed-blade knife. The fact that people still think a Bowie knife is a woodsman's knife (and not a fighting knife, which is what it actually is) shows you. You can see that here on this forum.
I think that we don't disagree. I think its a matter of perception. I think that "big knife guys" have decided that they need a big knife. Whether they need that big knife or not, not really a factor. But we are talking EDC, so if you take a fixed and a folder and match one factor, say price, you can get more knife out of the fixed blade. I don't think "over-rated/under-rated" and popularity are directly correlated. There are knives that I think are underrated (by one market segment) and yet are very popular(in all other segments) so its a bit subjective. Then you also have the individual knife or the category (are we talking just Izulas or neck knives in general, for example) So on that point, I think we agree. Again, Mors is talking to woods bums who think they need something, and trying to help them understand that they don't. Once most people who EDC a knife look at a fixed blade equivalent of their folder, they run the same math, how will I carry it, how will it deploy/return to safe, what will its overall utility be. And I don't think they then go "It ticks all the boxes, but its fixed, so its not going to work"

As for the second point on egros, I think we agree as well. My point was (maybe poorly stated) that for the longest time aesthetics were more important, where as more makers are making a knife that works ergonomically, which may not have that "balanced look". As the market moves, I've seen a lot more makers put a lot more effort into that category of knives. Obviously I don't know everything about every knife company, but since I started participating here I think the number of small knives has vastly gone up. I remember knives like the Tops Wolf Pup being unusual, and threads about just how useful it really was, now any maker who doesn't have a knife in the 2 inch blade range is just leaving money on the table, and the overall quality and design language has really evolved.

Laws, 50+ ever other country you might travel to. Its a factor for a big bunch of the forum, and depending on where you live, it might be vague enough to get someone to steer away. But as you say YMMV.

[/QUOTE]But if you have your fixed blade in a pocket or in a leather sheath, that changes immediately. If I get gunk on my fixed blade, it's definitely getting cleaned off before it goes back in a leather sheath. A folder that can be rinsed in 99% isoprop solution later and can simply be folded into its frame to protect the inside of my pants pocket from gunk is much less problematic. Easier to access too when compared to a fixed blade sheathed in leather.[/QUOTE]

B bemymonkey

Provided one has ready access to isopropyl alcohol.

If I am out in the back-country for days at a time, I don't pack around isopropyl alcohol, nor do I have a great way of rinsing and possibly dissembling a knife (bringing special tools for this does not fit into my personal philosophy while traveling in remote areas) to really clean it out if needed.

Kydex can be rinsed out with various liquids, but can't be dissembled. Leather can endure scrubbing and cleaning, as long as it gets some feeding and care later on in it's life. But, leather sheaths can't be taken apart for a total clean out, but leather and kydex will at the least protect your pocket from unwanted residues, much like a folding blades handle would.

Seems like a valuable 1st step after using the knife (fixed or folder) for some dirty work, is to wipe it off in what ever manner you have on hand. If that can't be done, than your looking at some form of clean up (blade, sheath, handle assembly) no matter the knife.

How do folks carry a fixed blade on their belt? I can’t seem to make it work without it being super obvious that I’m carrying a knife. I mostly pocket carry my small fixed blades.

Cover matters. For instance, a light jacket or open flannel that hangs over your belt can help make carrying all sorts of things more polite. One guy here mentioned a fishing shirt. Hawaiian shirts are sometimes worn this way. While most people drop to "gentleman's carry" with a suit, it actually opens up a lot of possibilities. A blazer, a sport coat, or even a cardigan can work wonders for concealed carry.

The sheath matters too. I prefer a kydex sheath that lets me get a relatively full grip for drawing. Horizontal carry can be great, especially if you have a Dunlap. The sheath has to have excellent retention for horizontal carry and I prefer a locking mechanism of some kind. For vertical carry, keeping it high and close to the body helps. There, a good sheath needs a good clip. I've occasionally found myself trading stock clips for a Tek-Lok.

If I am out in the back-country for days at a time, I don't pack around isopropyl alcohol, nor do I have a great way of rinsing and possibly dissembling a knife (bringing special tools for this does not fit into my personal philosophy while traveling in remote areas) to really clean it out if needed.[/QUOTE]

Iso was just an example because I have that on hand at work constantly. When I'm out and about I'll make do with a wet wipe or handkerchief. I usually have a pack of wet wipes (usually just disinfectant wipes of some kind, you can get 'em in small packs of 10 or so... or eyeglass cleaning wipes) in a pocket somehwere for this exact reason.

Kydex can be rinsed out with various liquids, but can't be dissembled. Leather can endure scrubbing and cleaning, as long as it gets some feeding and care later on in it's life. But, leather sheaths can't be taken apart for a total clean out, but leather and kydex will at the least protect your pocket from unwanted residues, much like a folding blades handle would.[/QUOTE]

That's the exact issue I'm referring to - you're never getting that gunk out of your nice wet-formed leather sheath completely without needing to recondition the sheath. It's less of a problem with Kydex, but if it's a form fitting sheath you're still mashing everything in there pretty nicely. A modern folder usually has significantly more space between the blade surface and the liners, meaning if just the blade's dirty you can still fold it closed and clean it later without having to clean the entire inside of the knife.

Seems like a valuable 1st step after using the knife (fixed or folder) for some dirty work, is to wipe it off in what ever manner you have on hand. If that can't be done, than your looking at some form of clean up (blade, sheath, handle assembly) no matter the knife.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't mind deep cleaning an easily disassembled folder. Riveted kydex or plastic is a bit more of an issue to clean completely, and leather is a complete no-go. I have wet-formed leather sheaths for most of my fixed-blades, which is why I use a folder for sticky/dirty tasks when I can't immediately clean off the blade properly...

If I am out in the back-country for days at a time, I don't pack around isopropyl alcohol, nor do I have a great way of rinsing and possibly dissembling a knife (bringing special tools for this does not fit into my personal philosophy while traveling in remote areas) to really clean it out if needed.

Iso was just an example because I have that on hand at work constantly. When I'm out and about I'll make do with a wet wipe or handkerchief. I usually have a pack of wet wipes (usually just disinfectant wipes of some kind, you can get 'em in small packs of 10 or so... or eyeglass cleaning wipes) in a pocket somehwere for this exact reason.

Kydex can be rinsed out with various liquids, but can't be dissembled. Leather can endure scrubbing and cleaning, as long as it gets some feeding and care later on in it's life. But, leather sheaths can't be taken apart for a total clean out, but leather and kydex will at the least protect your pocket from unwanted residues, much like a folding blades handle would.[/QUOTE]

That's the exact issue I'm referring to - you're never getting that gunk out of your nice wet-formed leather sheath completely without needing to recondition the sheath. It's less of a problem with Kydex, but if it's a form fitting sheath you're still mashing everything in there pretty nicely. A modern folder usually has significantly more space between the blade surface and the liners, meaning if just the blade's dirty you can still fold it closed and clean it later without having to clean the entire inside of the knife.

Seems like a valuable 1st step after using the knife (fixed or folder) for some dirty work, is to wipe it off in what ever manner you have on hand. If that can't be done, than your looking at some form of clean up (blade, sheath, handle assembly) no matter the knife.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't mind deep cleaning an easily disassembled folder. Riveted kydex or plastic is a bit more of an issue to clean completely, and leather is a complete no-go. I have wet-formed leather sheaths for most of my fixed-blades, which is why I use a folder for sticky/dirty tasks when I can't immediately clean off the blade properly...[/QUOTE]

Leather does have liability, true. Especially after field dressing and animal and not having anything to clean the knife with. Than it's a breeding ground and happy home for bacteria of all sorts.

I do carry (usually bandana) something in my kit to wipe and clean my fixed blade. If I am out for multiple nights, than typically I am not far from a water source to use as a rinse off.

But, as you noted, if you know your going to get into something nasty, wet wipes and even alcohol prep pads could be carried along.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back