Small flashlight with magnetic tail

dewingrm

Gold Member
I’m looking for a small flashlight with a magnetic tail. It must have a low mode for reading. This is for my son currently on an aircraft carrier. Rechargeable would be good. He likes to read at night and the magnetic tail will work great while he’s in his bunk. It must be small and durable.

I’ve been out of the flashlight game for years. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a similar 90 degree light and I like it a lot, (Acebeam PT40).

But for just reading, maybe a machinist light. Magnetic with a goose neck.

15J7701-magnetic-mount-led-work-light-u-04-r.jpg

We bought him a book light and he hated the flexible neck. He’s currently using a keychain light I got free with an order. The Fenix looks like it might fit. I’m also considering a Olight imini since he’s probably only going to use it for reading.

Rovyvon Aurora A8 would also work.

ETA: That is, if you can figure out the user interface, which is ridiculously complex.

Last edited:
Armytek makes some really good lights. Magnetic tail cap / charging port is pretty strong and will easily support the light anywhere you stick it. Light output ranges from firefly to turbo mode in 5 stages, with 2 strobe modes.
These are the Wizard and C1 Prime
9xzNYay.jpg
XlKoMlc.jpg

Armytek makes some really good lights. Magnetic tail cap / charging port is pretty strong and will easily support the light anywhere you stick it. Light output ranges from firefly to turbo mode in 5 stages, with 2 strobe modes.
These are the Wizard and C1 Prime
9xzNYay.jpg
XlKoMlc.jpg

Good lights but, their close ties with the Chinese military could be a problem for someone in USA military service.

r/flashlight on Reddit is a great resource for questions like this as you are apt to find someone serving that can provide very specific advice. Folks over there have been super helpful to me.

"Hank" Emisar D2 flashlight One of these with the SST-20 Deep Red and either the SST-20 'white' LED or a 519A would be very good. He will need an external recharger though be sure to either pick up a USB rechargeable 14500 battery or a single/dual cell charger.

"Hank" D4V2 This one is a bit larger but, 18650 USB chargeable batteries are super easy to find. This particular light is a huge favorite of people in service and 'flashahoics' as well. The Boost circuit upgrade will extend battery life between charges.

Both have magnetic base options for ~$5. Both use Anduril for the operating system so, light levels can be set to other than factory settings. There are also lots of "party modes" for fancy strobes, sunset mode, lightning storm, etc. which is apt to be nice around special events on the ship. Lastly, it is very practical for use in EDC roles where having a good flashlight for general area lighting or reaching out a bit farther is super useful.

Uhh, what are you talking about?
I avoid PRC flashlights with ties to their military generally. For someone in US military service, Weltool and Armyteck are two I would avoid. To me, it is a bit like staying at a North Korean Youth Hostel in Berlin. Similar quality, performance, and price point flashlights are available from other brands that avoid the PRC linkage.

For someone in uniform and active military service, buy something with a clearer linage to a less controversial source. I am not anti-China generally and like my Wurkkos Sofirn, Convoy, Hank/Emisar, and FireFly flashlights.

A Firefly Nov-MU at ~$100 would be an awesome flashlight if the price isn't too much for you. The Acebeam E75 is another good option but, it getting a bit big and heavy. Both are good for even lighting for reading and close-up tasks.

The D4V2 is still the one that seems best aligned with your requirements since it retains good throw as the cost of the super wide field of view close up, not that it is bad but it isn't as good as the E75 and Nov-Mu for 'moonlight' thrown very widely across a room that is dead even lighting.

Lighting artifacts can be stressful on the eyes when reading under dim lighting so, for bunk use look for SST-20 or 519A emitters in the 4,000~5,000 range that are High CRI with good quality optics for no distortion. At modest illumination levels, a good 18650 battery should provide weeks worth of reading light before a recharge is needed. Since they are USB-C rechargeable, keeping a flashlight with built-in charging running should be pretty easy even for a low-ranked sailor with few privileges.

Back