Small Game Skinning

If you want a classic small game knife, probably the best ever was the USA made Schrade Sharpfinger, Model 152, in carbon steel. They are all over the auction sites in all manor of condition. Pick the one in your price range and never look back.

The little skinner in the center here is my latest from Richard J. Between it and the large one I should be able to skin anything on this planet.

NffLNkb.jpg

I've skinned and butchered scores of squirrels and rabbits and I have noticed a few things:

(1) As has been said before, generally any knife will work. I have used a Kershaw Leek, Case Medium Stockman, Esee Izula, Mora...something..., Dawson Pocketknife, and so forth to similar effect.

(2) I realized that I prefer to use knives with relatively small, thin and wickedly shard blades so that I can make precise cuts in little nooks/crevices as I see necessary. Therefore I would recommend a case stockman, trapper or any small, thin, pointy, and sharp fixed blade to get the job done (though the Dawson Pocketknife is my personal favorite).

(3) I usually start by making a skin-deep slit up each of the hind-quarters from the pelvis to the paws, carefully peeling the hide off of the back legs. Then, once I've separated the hide from the muscles around the hip/pelvis, the best thing to do is grab the hind-legs in one hand and pull the hide back towards the head and peel it off like a sock, making small slices where needed to keep moving.

There are a multitude of ways to skin a varmint, so pick the one you like best and master it. Happy hunting.

I prefer a small fixed blade because it's easier to keep the blade clean. I'm an avid small game hunter myself and designed this knife specifically for this task. I've had other makers make my pattern/design for several years before I got into knife making myself and it's been a real pleasure to watch this pattern change over time. Literally everyone that I've sold these to thus far has called me back and told me how much they enjoy it. Mine is a little rough as it's the first knife I've ever made but here she is. I have a couple extra blanks of these in CPM 3V steel that I'm working on handles for right now too: if your interested shoot me a PM. These are already ground and heat treated. I just need to finish the metal out and slap some scales on them.

IMG_3941_zps3ln6iwwn.jpg
I was unable to pm you. I am very interested in this knife. Would like some figured desert ironwood scales. Is this doable

I know they will all work . Which knife do you think would do the easiest work of squirrel and rabbit ?

Any of these could do the job well.
From the largest squirrels to the smallest elephants.
NcarpzL.jpg

Last edited:
I know they will all work . Which knife do you think would do the easiest work of squirrel and rabbit ?

I vote 3rd from left

I've used a bunch of different knives for small game from prarie dogs, wabbits,Jack rabbits, squirrels, marmont, and javealinas. Buck110 worked well, I really like my GEC Bullbuster right now. I've used a SAK pioneer, opinel 8, sodbuster Jrs, condor kephart, ESEE 4, CRKT M21, Avispa, OKC SP1 & 12" Machete and most recently a Buck 501

Back