Small knife challenge

• Yes I accept

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • No I don't accept

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • I'll think about it

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
I have technically been doing this since the 7th with my Kizer Feist for a few days.
eExBjp6.jpeg

Then I swapped to my Delica for a few. But I just got the Chaparral in so I guess I'll be going full time on the challenge with this one.

Hzw6w8d.jpeg

0HANqxj.jpeg

I'm looking at this vintage imperial peanut I picked up from ebay, the pen blade is barely an inch with " 2170537 P2284833 2689408? Last number is smudged. What a strange thing to stamp on a knife, anyway super small, probably would give the Sebenza people a stroke, but I gotta say, pretty darn useful. They made peanuts and jacks this small forever and no one cried for more knife until not so long ago.

I'm looking at this vintage imperial peanut I picked up from ebay, the pen blade is barely an inch with " 2170537 P2284833 2689408? Last number is smudged. What a strange thing to stamp on a knife,
Those are Imperial patent numbers. That last digit is probably A.

Can't play. I like a 3.5+ (closer to 4") for the grip, stays in the pocket better, better for defense.

This is the little knife challenge. For one month, you have to only use [any] knife that is less than 3 inches for all your
day to day cutting/edc tasks.
there is a twist however: every time you find that 2.9 inches isn't enough, you MAY use something longer, but you HAVE to write it down. At the end of the month long challenge, count how many times you had to use a knife longer than 2.9 inches and post it on the thread
Exceptions apply:
1. Food prep and cooking
2. Outdoor gardening
3. Game dressing
Bit of a grumble here, but I think 3.5” blades should also be considered. I have Mini Leatherneck that sits very well in the pocket.

I'm looking at this vintage imperial peanut I picked up from ebay, the pen blade is barely an inch with " 2170537 P2284833 2689408? Last number is smudged. What a strange thing to stamp on a knife, anyway super small, probably would give the Sebenza people a stroke, but I gotta say, pretty darn useful. They made peanuts and jacks this small forever and no one cried for more knife until not so long ago.

Small pocket knives like that were the mainstay of pocket knives before the Buck 110 came out in 1963. Somehow, the folks of the 20th century up to the 1960's, got by very well with a very modest size little pocket knife. They slogged through a Great Depression, fought WW2, came home and got jobs as truck drivers, welders, mechanics or whatever they learned to do in the war, and started the baby boomer generation families. All the while carrying little pocket knives that didn't even have a blade lock. Now the latest generation of computer jockeys in office cubicles needs a knife capable of stabbing through car doors with a lock that you can hang an engine block from.

Last edited:
Small pocket knives like that were the mainstay of pocket knives before the Buck 110 came out in 1963. Somehow, the folks of the 20th century up to the 1960's, got by very well with a very modest size little pocket knife. They slogged through a Great Depression, fought WW2, came home and got jobs as truck drivers, welders, mechanics or whatever they learned to do in the war, and started the baby boomer generation families. All the while carrying little pocket knives that didn't even have a blade lock. Now the latest generation of computer jockeys in office cubicles needs a knife capable of stabbing through car doors with a lock that you can hang an engine block from.

Don't forget hammering through bolts.

od1pTZK.jpeg

Don't forget hammering through bolts.

od1pTZK.jpeg

Nope, can't forget that!

For about 25 years, before I went through my knife nut stage, a Buck 301 like that was my EDC, everyday, day in and day out. Augmented with a SAK, my old Wenger SI, it did everything I really needed. But most of all, was in January of 1991, that little Buck was used to cut the seat belt inside an upside down old Datsun B210 that was starting to burn, and the driver was trapped hanging in the seat belt that was jammed and wouldn't release. I used the sheep foot blade as I didn't want a pointy sharp blade out while the female driver was hysterically thrashing around and dropping loose on me as I cut the seatbelt. The inch and three quarter blade worked just fine.

Back