Smokestacks and the Whatnot

The Delkalope just made it to a happy Maynard, and much to my surprise, a giant bag of Elk jerky for me.
.....Must..... Stop.....Eating.....So.....Gooood.....

That RMK blade is nice Shel, I like long sloping clips like that.

As far as Whatnot goes, Dennis and I were working up a design through emails and we found that we both say "...and whatnot" a lot, we figured it was as good a name for a knife as any:thumbup:

Getting rid of TV was the best thing I ever did, but damn I miss the Western Channel!

I hope Maynard's tears don't rust that beautiful blade.

John, what are your thoughts on 52100 vs 1095? I love them both but I lean toward 52100. I can get it just a bit sharper. I think.

This is the first time I've worked with 52100, so far I really like what I see. I've been running it through different thermal cycles and using a fast quenchant. It seems pretty tough, I treated some beveled coupons that were ground super thin and I was surprised by the amount of flex I was getting before breaking, and it looks like we're getting nice fine grain. I prefer O1 to 1095, at least it seems I can get more consistent results with the O1, 1095 can be finicky in my experience. This 52100 takes a little more pre-work but so far it looks like it will outshine 1095. The proof will be in the pudding.

Most of the time I have an exact purpose in mind when I draw something up. This one, not so much. It's around a 7" blade and 12" OAL. It could go any direction, but I think with a low swedge and a stacked handle it'll have a classic look. It's got a curved tang as well.

This cloud ran away right after I took this picture. Coincidence? I think not:D

Mmmmm, my people call it the Shadow Knife! 🔪

Great pic, John!

tumblr_lsogs20yVQ1qf2jixo1_400.gif

A 3 .75" with a long clip that slightly curves but not enough to call it a trailing point I don't think. I'm thinking a small bronze guard and butt plate with a natural leather stacked handle, with some mesquite spacers or center barrel. It's got a curved tang, this might become a regular model depending on your guys input when it's done.

The Whatnot is up next for the grinder.

Thats a nice looking blade design, trailing point, up swept, or clip point, it could fit any one of those definitions. That bit of an up swept point will probably make it a bit more functional for slicing on a smaller blade like that.

Whatnot is rough ground and swedged, spine is rounded, need to cut in the shoulders. Has a pretty aggressive taper on the blade.

I love rounded spines. I have a nasty habit of holding my knives somewhat like a pencil to do fine work. A rounded spine makes this so much more comfortable.

I'm liking this one so far, .....a lot.

The small trailing/clip point is treated and the guard made, I'll wait to get the others caught up to that point and finish them together. I had a setback with the Whatnot, started over on it, sometimes when things just don't look right, they just don't look right, it happens and you gotta move on.

This one's for you Shel:D
[video=youtube;M3X_ZpL_Hxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3X_ZpL_Hxc[/video]

Back