So... that happened *Warning for those who are squeamish*

Get well soon, be safe

Glad you made out O.K. Now HI has two bear killing by kuks stories. Auntie should inform the kamis of your trial and let them know their product stands up.

Wow - nasty wound. Glad you are mostly ok after an ordeal like that though.

The M43 is truly impressive and it is a good thing you had something that capable in hand at the time. However, I subscribe to the philosophy that:

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

You, Sir, are a badass!

If I remember hearing correctly, is there not a process where the animal is sold at acution after the investigation? There was a young man who shot a charging grizzly in Alaska, and they skinned it out, cutting the hide with marks they could identify later, and they were able to find it at auction and buy it.

You need to follow up with the fish and game officers, and get photo's paperwork etc.

I can tell you that I would try my darnedest to get anything I could to substantiate, preserve the story for posterity!

One time I gave myself a similar cut killing a pack of timberwolves* with my 1796 cavalry saber.
(*being careless with)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, stitches came out today, it is going to leave a nasty scar but as far as long term issues I have no idea. My doctor said that I should give the nerves time to regrow and if I have any problems with it in two months I should come in to get evaluated for surgery. I hope this nerve regrowing thing goes quick though because it is a little uncomfortable... it feels like someone lit my hand on fire and then put it out by parking a truck on it lol.

And yes it is possible, however not easy, to get the hide but work is sending me to Guam later tonight for a month so I will not be here when that opening happens.

...And yes it is possible, however not easy, to get the hide but work is sending me to Guam later tonight for a month so I will not be here when that opening happens.
If there is anything i could do remotely to help you secure that hide id do it! Dont know what that would be but just getting it delayed somehow till you get back would be cool. I suppose they could throw it in the freezer?

It should already be in a freezer or it ain't no good by now unless they salt it or have some other way of preserving it.

Congrats on being alive.
I doubt I could hit a charging bear with a knife. They move fast.
Glad you managed to hit it twice be it skill or luck.

If this is a true story, (and I have no reason to doubt you) I would be calling every official I could. Documenting names, witnesses, pictures, times, date, location, etc. What newspaper or magazine, tv show wouldn't "kill" for a story like this. I mean even the game wardens would be Hella thrilled to write up this report of a bear kill with nothing more than your "machete".
Sponsor money from the maker, fame, fortune, the works!
All I'm seeing so far is a "look what I did to myself attempting to clear some brush with my Kukuri" story.
:(

If this is a true story, (and I have no reason to doubt you) I would be calling every official I could. Documenting names, witnesses, pictures, times, date, location, etc. What newspaper or magazine, tv show wouldn't "kill" for a story like this. I mean even the game wardens would be Hella thrilled to write up this report of a bear kill with nothing more than your "machete".
Sponsor money from the maker, fame, fortune, the works!
All I'm seeing so far is a "look what I did to myself attempting to clear some brush with my Kukuri" story.
:(
Maybe thats why he lives in Anchorage is to get away from all that crap. I cant blame him at all;) Id commend him for that alone!

Maybe thats why he lives in Anchorage is to get away from all that crap. I cant blame him at all;) Id commend him for that alone!

Considering he is an Air Force F-22 mechanic (see profile) in Anchorage, population 300,000. I don't see that to be the case here. The is fact is that this story has already been posted on the Ole interweb, via bladeforums.com
(1.8 Million hits in August alone)
I don't see the OP as an anti-social, recluse type, that just wants to escape all that stuff.

I've been hanging in the back yard whacking a few branches every evening all week waiting for a bear to come along. Not a one but I did have 4 deer walk up and look at me funny, 3 were bucks too. I thought that was weird for this time of year.
Not being brave though I did have the 416 Rigby close at hand. Some of our bears get up to 150 pounds around here.

My hats still off to halfsquelch weather he wants to be famous or not. He done damn good and I'm glad he's alive and not badly maimed to tell the tale.

Congratulations on your survival, and for your reflexes, 'cuz you sure didn't have time to think out a stategy.

Nerves can regrow, but they take their own sweet time to do so. Growth is sometimes impeded by scar tissue which forms, blocking the growth path.

My very best wishes.

I've been hanging in the back yard whacking a few branches every evening all week waiting for a bear to come along. Not a one but I did have 4 deer walk up and look at me funny, 3 were bucks too. I thought that was weird for this time of year.
Not being brave though I did have the 416 Rigby close at hand. Some of our bears get up to 150 pounds around here.

My hats still off to halfsquelch weather he wants to be famous or not. He done damn good and I'm glad he's alive and not badly maimed to tell the tale.
There are wild boar that get several hundred pounds but for some reason they dont frequent my property yet. I see them as road kill in the cooler months five to ten miles away on the other side of the Colorado river but for some reason they havent visited my property. I welcome them tho just as I welcome a full rack of pork ribs! I wouldnt want to have to defend myself against one of them either but they dont scare me like big cats and bears. Something scary about a critter that weighs more than me that can skitter up a tree faster than I can run:eek:

If this is a true story, (and I have no reason to doubt you) I would be calling every official I could. Documenting names, witnesses, pictures, times, date, location, etc. What newspaper or magazine, tv show wouldn't "kill" for a story like this..... Sponsor money from the maker, fame, fortune, the works!.... :(

I think what ndog meant by "all that crap" was the tendency in our society to commercialize and sensationalize everything for the sake of monetary gain or a few minutes of fame. The guy got his life and a story to tell for the rest of that life. That beats being the sensation of the day on some television or media outlet for people who are hungry for vicarious thrills.

Posting this on a khukuri-centered subforum of bladeforums is hardly the same as trying to "go viral" or looking for a booking agent to make the round of the talk shows. If he were doing all that, then I would question whether it is a true story.

Back