Sodbuster...and lots of them!

Funny, the sodbuster is one pattern I’ve never had much of an interest in - never liked the extra belly of the blade. Different strokes I guess ... that’s why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors :) . I will say though that I never knew there was so much variety available in such a relatively basic pattern - interesting

Last edited:
L Lansky1 , there's quite a bit of variety and manufactures available. Here are just a few.

Case
Pr3QsOa.jpg

GEC
QiuwHfL.jpg

Smith and Sons by GEC
7cRaBRy.jpg

Two Bulldog, a Case, and a Queen
4KzwEX3.jpg

Maserin with Bocote Wood covers
VLNro3L.jpg

Last edited:
This realy is an excellent thread

thanks to the info on here I'm now the proud owners of some great European made knives

an Otter Hippekniep being my personaly favorite

Case Sodbuster Jr. and GEC #71 Bullnose...

This might seem petty but it may be a learning experience for this thread as pertains to Case knives/patterns.

Case introduced their #37 Pattern Small working knife around 1970 and named it "Sod Buster" Jr. (two words) just as they had named their #38 Pattern Large "Sod Buster". It became a Copy Wright issue and Case took action against other cutlers for using the name "Sod Buster" so now all other manufactures call them Sodbuster (one Word) thereby getting around the Copy Wright infringement. BUT in a thread like this everyone, including me, uses the one word name "Sodbuster".

At any rate, your Black "Sod Buster" is a nice example. Now all you need is a large (#38 Pattern) Sod Buster to go with it. They also made a linerlock bersion of these knives that are very nice too.

Anyway, please don't be offended by my reply. I just thought it might be a tidbit of information others would like to know.

This might seem petty but it may be a learning experience for this thread as pertains to Case knives/patterns.

Case introduced their #37 Pattern Small working knife around 1970 and named it "Sod Buster" Jr. (two words) just as they had named their #38 Pattern Large "Sod Buster". It became a Copy Wright issue and Case took action against other cutlers for using the name "Sod Buster" so now all other manufactures call them Sodbuster (one Word) thereby getting around the Copy Wright infringement. BUT in a thread like this everyone, including me, uses the one word name "Sodbuster".

At any rate, your Black "Sod Buster" is a nice example. Now all you need is a large (#38 Pattern) Sod Buster to go with it. They also made a linerlock bersion of these knives that are very nice too.

Anyway, please don't be offended by my reply. I just thought it might be a tidbit of information others would like to know.
I'm not offended at all, and I thank you for the education.
That's something I didn't know and I feel better for knowing it now. :cool: :thumbsup:

I had no idea of the history, I assumes the Case version had been around much longer since its been an early European pattern

Who got caught out by the copywright? Surely it wasn't the original makers of the pattern in Europe?

That makes me want a Case Sod Buster Jr. all the more so I am happy that I am receiving one in the mail tomorrow, however, this one will be for the wife so now I have to get one for myself.

I ordered the Case Sob Buster jr. for my wife back in July but upon receiving it and giving it to her as a gift,we found that she could not even pull the blade open.Now it is mine..so there! Twasn't hard to solve that little problem.

I like your dedication to a classic knife. :cool::thumbsup:
Excellent collection of Case SBJrs, Jolipapa Jolipapa ; soon you'll have a dozen! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Is the red delrin on the far left from the "American Workman" series with a shield similar to U.S. flag design?

- GT
Thank you guys!:)
5K Qs 5K Qs : yes red delrin is an "American Workman" with no shield. :(
I miss the orange delrin and I hope to find a bright green Kentucky edition someday and who knows, a new color (blue?) to come one day?

Thanks for answering my question. :)
I hope you continue to find new models to enjoy.
I'm currently trying to decide between an American Workman and a Rough Black/Gum Fuddy.

- GT

Thanks for answering my question. :)
I hope you continue to find new models to enjoy.
I'm currently trying to decide between an American Workman and a Rough Black/Gum Fuddy.

- GT
The Case is more consistent in hand than the RR (I have three ) and the blade is hollow ground, very nice satin.

Back