Sources on the use of the machete?

I have look and looked for quite some time, and I have yet to find a good piece of work dedicated to the use of the machete. I have found well over a hundred titles on the use of stick fighting, and yes I know all the basic motions of a machete and the stick are the same in the FMA circles, but are there any works that are really dedicated to the use of the machete out there?

Thanks again guys,

Vicious

There isn't a specific traditional machete system, its a question of adapting the art you do to the machete, unlike the khukuri where there are at least two authentic sytems, both in the UK though.

There isn't a specific traditional machete system, its a question of adapting the art you do to the machete....

I agree - although it might be added that it is a question of adapting what you do back to the machete (bolo). A lot of stick arts were always intended to be blade arts but use the stick for practicing. For specific bolo-oriented material: Leo Giron's art is bolo-based, and Serada, even though most of what you see appears to be stick-oriented, is better thought of as a small sword (bolo, cutlass, machete, etc.) system. Panther Videos had a guy...Avincula (sp?) who although an Isshin Ryu teacher was Filipino and had a agricultural bolo system. Bram Frank has some a bolo DVD, I think. The Cold Steel DVD looks like it has some good basic information that's probably a combination of FMA and Western cutlass fencing.

I think that Pekiti Tirsia Kali makes for an excellent bolo system - although they tend to favor a heavier, longer weapon (ginunting). Then there's always material from the Sayoc Kali system, and Kalis Illustrisimo...etc.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Atienza brothers' video "DISCIPLINE OF HE BLADE" is all blade, just like it implies. Blaise Loong has a video on what I think he calls Sun and Moon style of eskrima, and according to Pete Kauz it seems to be rather good.
I also one saw some DVDs by an older Filipino master o nteh Budovideo web site, focusing to greater part on the machete, but the title of the products escapes me at the moment.
Hmmmm, I gues that there is quite a few of those after all, though thre is certainly many more stick and knife vidoes out there.
Oh, BTW, Mr. Advincule just mentions the use of bolo in his videos, but does not show any techniques, his tapes are all stick.

There's also the "Special Forces Machete" DVD by Kelly Worden available on his website here:

http://www.kellyworden.com/newrelease.html

It costs $39.95, but Worden's video's are worth their price.

You can also see a clip of Worden showing some machete here:

http://www.defensecraft.com/video/machete.wmv

That clip is from the Water & Steel 2006 DVD #2 Sibat/Staff * Machete Training. I have this DVD as well as the other 3, good stuff on these.

Atienza brothers' video "DISCIPLINE OF HE BLADE" is all blade, just like it implies.

That's right. I was going to post again about the Atienza brothers but you beat me to it. Their father was a friend and student of Leo Gaje so you'll see a very solid Pekiti Tirsia foundation here.

Blaise Loong has a video on what I think he calls Sun and Moon style of eskrima, and according to Pete Kauz it seems to be rather good.

I think that Blaise Loong is a student of Leo Giron. If so, this probably a largo mano style practiced by Filipino guerillas during WWII to take out Japanese soldiers on patrol in the jungle. Definitely worth a look at.

I also one saw some DVDs by an older Filipino master on theBudovideo web site, focusing to greater part on the machete, but the title of the products escapes me at the moment.

Which one is this? Would you mind letting me know?

Oh, BTW, Mr. Advincule just mentions the use of bolo in his videos, but does not show any techniques, his tapes are all stick

O.K. - I haven't seen them, but I thought one of them showed the bolo...

It looks like there's some stuff out there for you. I'd look at Cold Steel's "Fighting With Sabre and Cutlass" DVD set as well.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Worth investigating is Tata Leo Giron's bolo/machete fighting. Many of his heirs are teaching his bolo/machete methods. Both Tony Somera and Dexter Labanog would be worth seaching out. I would also talk with Rene Latosa, he specializes in the machete, adapting his style from the Largo and Serrada systems as taught here in Stockton. Any of the Apuan who are still around and served in the 1st Infantry Division deemed the "Bolo Batallion" in WW2 have at the least basic knowledge in the Cinco Tero bladed methods as taught in Camp Roberts and Fort Ord in California utilizing the issue machete. There are a few old timers here in Stockton who are just now giving some insight into their personal versions of bolo/machete fighting they each developed during the war from practical experience. A friends Uncle, Ingko Pastor Lagrimas, now 96 still swings his bolo 100 times everyday.

Best Regards,
Matador-

All I saw was people getting shot, is there more to this than meats the eye? Or did I just miss the machete bit?

Hello Vicious,

Do you have any previous FMA or MA training? Your instructor should be able to put you on track for some realistic training or you should check out the various resources out their that deal with long blade techniques on a regular basis.

Atienza Kali
Bahala Na Escrima
Kalis Ilustrisimo
Pekiti Tirsia Kali
Sayoc Kali

Are all fine places to start your training.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Hello Vicious,

Another person or art to look at is Floro Fighting System, Ray Floro.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

ps: I want the machine gun....

Hey Steve!
I found out who the man with interesting videos is. the DVD series is titled "The fighting Art of Roberto Labaniego". It is a 3 DVD set and at $99 it is certainly not cheap, but than again Lyn Thompson charges the same amount for a 2DVD set...
According to the content description, there is some machete use on the first DVD (taliind Labaniego set here), while the third is almost entirely bolo use.

So Stickmaster you were being sarcastic about the great machete technique?

Hey Steve!
I found out who the man with interesting videos is. the DVD series is titled "The fighting Art of Roberto Labaniego". It is a 3 DVD set and at $99 it is certainly not cheap, but than again Lyn Thompson charges the same amount for a 2DVD set...
According to the content description, there is some machete use on the first DVD (taliind Labaniego set here), while the third is almost entirely bolo use.

Roberto Labeniego learned a largo mano style from his father during a time when most farmers in remote areas carried a bolo and settled disputes accordingly - so what you'll see on the DVD's probably reflects this experience. He later went on to become a top student and instructor under Benjamin Luna Lema.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Yes Yoshi, I was being sarcastic.. Nothing against bolo techniques or any bladed weapons techniques. I just thought that the clip would make a point.

However, what you don't see in the clip is that the Philippine army had a couple platoons of armed officers there to deal with a small group of Tad Tad (their fierce fighting committment is well known here in the Philippines).

Apparently two armed ofiicers were killed by bolo weilding Tad Tad before the situation was bought under control.

It sure does, especially at the range those guys were trying to close the gap on the Philippine army, still they got a couple of them.

Have you seen the vid of the guy armed with a kitchen knife taking out several police officers?

Back