Sources on the use of the machete?

If it is the video he was talking about...

The man in the video is not necessarily skilled with a knife. The police used TERRIBLE tactics and judgement.

:eek:

Ah, yes I have seen this video clip. The police used terrible tactics here. What were they thinking???

One of the problems with knife attacks is that the person needs no skill at all to cause extreme damage or death.

IMO the best way to translate your stick skill to a bolo or machete is to actually use a bolo or machete. Learn FMA, get a machete or bolo, and go into your back yard and clear brush, cut branches, etc. If you don't have a back yard find someone who'd let you clear sections of his. You might even get paid.

A few years ago my brother and I visited our other brother who had a big yard and not enough time to maintain it all. He had some areas he wanted cleared and we got my bolos and chopped a buch of stuff for free. He got his yard done and we got to chop stuff. :D

If you can't do that, try cutting 2 liter soda bottles filled with water. Bad technique will knock them away rather than cutting through them.

IMO the best way to translate your stick skill to a bolo or machete is to actually use a bolo or machete. Learn FMA, get a machete or bolo, and go into your back yard and clear brush, cut branches, etc.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
One of the best pieces of advice in this thread so far.

Yes, I have this video, its from an Inayan video series by Suro. Mike Inay on the system of knife defence he taught police officers in the US. (unfortunately, Suro. Inay is no longer with us). I had the good fortune to train at a number of seminars he held in the UK and would have liked the opportunity to have trained with him more, sadly, not to be.

His teaching method was very good, clear and precise. He also demonstrated what he wanted in a very clear way giving good explanation of each point.

But more importantly, he came across as a warm and gentle man, had a good sense of humour and demonstrated the kind of humility and humanity you might expect of a Master.

I also liked his system, especially the double stick stuff, in-fact a lot of my double stick comes as a direct result of the concepts he teaches. He also has some good developmental drills for knife work and some fun pressure testing drills which I always enjoyed.

BTW, vicious, my friend picked up that cold steel machete dvd (haven’t seen it myself yet), and has said it is worth it if you are interested in the combat capabilities of the machete.

here's a pic of the hard contact machete nok made up for me. 20.5 inches long, hard wood core,1/2" padding on the edge 1/8th" padding on the sides,rubber cord wrapped handle. this blade does it all from hard sparring to paired drills. Randy
macknife002.jpg

While the one that nok made can be used for hard sparring, this is the one that I make.
machete.JPG

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Nok's can be sued for sparring where mine can not. However mine looks more like the real deal. And I'm willing to bet that mine weighs more at a full pound. Not as heavy as a real machete, but closer than most.

Again, I'm not saying that either one is better or worse. They both have their place and uses. I would never suggest using mine for hard sparring. But mine is useful for counter drills and getting angulation right. Plus it carries the psychological factor of looking more like it's real counterpart.

I'm just curious now, becuase I can build the aluminum ones as well (made a bastard sword that can take a decent beating and looks good for demos).

But how do you do the padding on yours Amok, do you do your own in shop injection molding?

Hi Norm I agree that both have their place. I have found that being able to smack my training partner in the face carries a pretty big psychological factor of it's own. Randy

Randy,

You're right. We normally use the padded sticks for that. Of course most of them aren't ready for that level of training where I'm at yet.
My teacher and I do that all the time. But the rest are still up and coming....

And personally I like the look they get on their face when you 'open' them up with a nice deep cut to the midsection or stop the trainer at their neck.
Nothing like watching their eyes pop open...

Here's a batch the guys at the Warriors Forge just picked up. 5 trapping blades, 10 Machete. 6 Buzzard electric knives.
forgeorder002.jpg

IMO the best way to translate your stick skill to a bolo or machete is to actually use a bolo or machete. Learn FMA, get a machete or bolo, and go into your back yard and clear brush, cut branches, etc. If you don't have a back yard find someone who'd let you clear sections of his. You might even get paid.

A few years ago my brother and I visited our other brother who had a big yard and not enough time to maintain it all. He had some areas he wanted cleared and we got my bolos and chopped a buch of stuff for free. He got his yard done and we got to chop stuff. :D

If you can't do that, try cutting 2 liter soda bottles filled with water. Bad technique will knock them away rather than cutting through them.

Excellent points here. If you get a chance to view Blaise Loong's weapons DVDs you will notice he is using real blades most of the time. He teaches and trains w/ both trainers and live blade as there is a time and place for both. But I totally agree with actually using your blade to get used to its mechanics and such. :thumbup:

Back