Spidercast & daiwa rod and reel combo

My grandfather bought me a rod and reel combo from a local tackle shop. it's a Spidercast Tarantula STSP2200. It has 8 ball bearings and will be spooled up with the spiderwire supermono xxx that he bought with it (same diameter as 6 lb test which is recommended for the reel). The rod is a 7' ML graphite megaforce by daiwa. it seems very nice, but i know nothing about these two products. It will be used for largemouth bass, trout and probably hook into a pickerel unintentionally. Do you think i have a good setup? It's smooth!

My grandfather bought me a rod and reel combo from a local tackle shop. it's a Spidercast Tarantula STSP2200. It has 8 ball bearings and will be spooled up with the spiderwire supermono xxx that he bought with it (same diameter as 6 lb test which is recommended for the reel). The rod is a 7' ML graphite megaforce by daiwa. it seems very nice, but i know nothing about these two products. It will be used for largemouth bass, trout and probably hook into a pickerel unintentionally. Do you think i have a good setup? It's smooth!

as stated in your last thread, do not use a ML for bass. trout and pickeral yes, bass no.. get atleast a medium to medium heavy rod for bass. nothing wrong with having 2 rods... i have about 10;) 6-7 of those for bass and the rest are for pan fish and catfish.. oh and i have a few rods for the salt too. so i have about 15 rods or more.. save up buttercup

Haha yeah i remember that. The heaviestthing i throw is a spinner and its not that often. I had been using a 5'6" light shakespeare rod i found in my garage so. Is it a good rod n reel though?

I have a 6.5 ft med.lt Shimano Compre baitcasting rod with a small Shimano Curado baitcasting reel, spooled with 10 lb mono. I use it mainly for bass fishing although I have tackled some big head carp with it too.. It will cast 1/8th one lures. Often times a 1/8 ,ounce buzzbait ,crankbait , spinnerbait, do nothing worm... is the best way to catch fish. One of my favorite smallmouth techniques is to use a 1/8 ounce jig head with a small worm and simply cast out and retrieve slowly. A half a Senko is deadly used this way.
Your med light outfit is not the best all around bass rod but it will fill a niche and it will catch a lot of bass.

Here is the rod {the reel here is a Garcia} and the reward of fishing with itty baits.

11-3-04003.jpg

Last edited:
Ive never heard of the Diawa Spydercast combo. If the reel has 8 ball bearings it should be nice and smooth. Is it a baitcasting or a spinning outfit?

Spinning. I have it spooled up with 0.23mm (8lb) diameter spiderwire mono (6lb equiv of say berkley mono). it's rated for 6lb (.23mm) test, 100 yards. It's a tiny spool but the reel is pretty nice. yes, 8 bb, instant anti reverse, the bail is nice, i tightened it down a little, i don't like an easy flip hard shut bail, i like it to stay open until i close it and slowly fall into place but not stick. The drag is really smooth, best drag i've had so far in a reel. The body of the reel seems to be a decent quality graphite, the handle is entirely metal and the knob is soft touch rubber, it's semi oversized compared to my other reels. The spool is drilled out to reduce weight. The rod is awesome. 7 feet of medium lightness graphite, aluminum oxide guides, cork grips. it seems like a nice setup, but i'm unfamaliar with daiwa and spider. I've owned a daiwa baitcaster which i loved, but that's it. It has 6 guides on it.

Here is my favorite lightweight bass fishing lure. Take half a stickworm "Senko type" and run some spinnerbait skirt material through it. I quit using red "legs" because bluegills kept nipping at it. Apply it to a quality 1/8 ounce jig head made for bass fishing,they will have a wider gap than a traditional crappie head. This will catch a lot of bass and work great on your outfit.

06-14-2007002.jpg

Here is my favorite lightweight bass fishing lure. Take half a stickworm "Senko type" and run some spinnerbait skirt material through it. I quit using red "legs" because bluegills kept nipping at it. Apply it to a quality 1/8 ounce jig head made for bass fishing,they will have a wider gap than a traditional crappie head. This will catch a lot of bass and work great on your outfit.

06-14-2007002.jpg

ooohh great idea man! perfect for non weighted rigs too..senkos have so much salt you dont really need a weight unless your fish are on the bottom.. i might have to try this for largemouths. we do not have many smallies around here bc the waters get too warm.. the lake i fished this past saturday by my house was 90 degrees... we have to go to the mtns to fish for smallies.. i love catching those bronze babies. they are so aggressive..

so how did you get the skirt material through? use a sewing needle? do you use any type of glue to hold it in place?

also if you fish for smallies a lot and or fish rivers and streams for them or other bass check this lure out. i do not use weights on it.. let if free fall and go with the flow. the action is awesome.. my best river fishing lure period.. i slay bass on this thing up in the mtns fishing for smallies

http://www.caseplastics.com/case/index.php?cPath=25_48&osCsid=bb746ba2d2c178320b049d2aeb193d10

Ive caught smallmouths, largemouths, white bass, drum,walleye , crappie and oddly numerous channel cats on that rig.

I use a large sewing needle to thread the material through. The legs get pulled out rather easily but , usually after a couple of fish its time to replace it anyway.

Those Jacks worms look real good. I will try them out.

Ive caught smallmouths, largemouths, white bass, drum,walleye , crappie and oddly numerous channel cats on that rig.

I use a large sewing needle to thread the material through. The legs get pulled out rather easily but , usually after a couple of fish its time to replace it anyway.

Those Jacks worms look real good. I will try them out.

awesome thanks!

yes those jacks worms were beyond my expectations.

tight lines

Suzuki: IMO a ML is fine for bass and the line you chose should work well. I totally agree with dipbait about light "finesse" baits, especially for bass, both large and smallmouth. Just make sure you set the drag light as you seem to hook into some nice fish from your pics. The only downside might be that it would be hard with that set-up to fish heavy baits that can punch through weeds, but I don't find that I have to do that often.

This is one of my favorite "go to" type presentations for bass, known as "the purple cut-tail worm".

DSC03575.jpg

It's basically a wacky rig, using either the Yamamoto (or Kinami) cut-tail worm with a split ring around the middle and a 2/0 Gamakatsu Shiner Hook SE. The split ring is from the BPS saltwater tackle line and is about 1/4". It's just deadly weightless or with a small split shot.

DSC03578.jpg

I really like dipbait's modded senko bait. It kind of reminds me of the old Gapen Bug lure. I've fished that same thing without the legs and really liked these Zero Senko style worms for the jig head technique. They are very durable. Also, I threw in one of the all-time favs, the wacky rigged Senko, here with a 1/0 Gamakatsu EWG worm hook.

DSC03581.jpg

The other lure dipbait mentioned, what I know as a "jigworm" is a great presentation as well. That lure caught the biggest smallie for me so far.

Good luck!

Outdoors fan , that jig worm is exactly what I use. Dang. I thought I invented that.:(

with bass you guys are talking about smallies?? a ML is fine for smallies but come down here and catch some of the florida strain of large mouths and you will figure out quick that a ML is way too light to be catching and securing a hook in the thick thick jaws of these fish.. i keep forgeting he is up north so the bass are smaller and he gets to play with smallies.

I've caught 5lb largemouths on my shakespeare light rod that came with as a combo, my brother found it one fishing trip. I've had no problem with the light, but i have always prefered a medium for it's stoutness.

I've caught 5lb largemouths on my shakespeare light rod that came with as a combo, my brother found it one fishing trip. I've had no problem with the light, but i have always prefered a medium for it's stoutness.

you will thank me later if you boost it up to a atleast a medium.. you got lucky.. we use MH's down here.. lots of backbone for a good hookset and control.. ML are just to pansy for them down here. it can be done, i have done it myself but in reality when you are catching hawgs, ML's are a no no.. really mediums are a no no as well. but with the weightless worms and lizards i toss i have to use a medium..

btw your line is fine, whatever you have good luck with, stick to it

I would agree with hung that the Florida strain bass are a bit different than their Northern cousins. We have a place in Ft. Lauderdale and I have fished ponds & canals (along with the salt) in that area. The bass seem to be more aggressive in general and fight harder than the bass around where I live (Northern Illinois), somewhere between a smallmouth and the largemouth here.

My "go to" combo is a 6' St. Croix Med/Fast Action rod with a Shimano Stradic 2500 reel. I keep one spool loaded with 12# Suffix Braid with a 6-8' Fluorocarbon leader. The other spool has 8# Suffix Siege Mono (love that stuff). I have had this rod for over 15 years (it's on its 2nd reel, the first was a Shimano Spirex). I've used this in many different situations, smallmouth in upstate NY, inshore saltwater, largemouth all over the place, etc....etc....

I do have a variety of other spinning rods, from UL to H weights, but find that this rod covers me well in 95% of my fishing. When out for salmon, I would move to the bigger stuff for instance. For years I fished mainly Ultralights in situations that were similar to where Suzuki fishes and it can be huge fun. Granted these fish were not as large as the hogs I've seen in some of your pics hung.

For CT bass he'll be fine.
Just don't go fishing in the junk and stick to more or less open water.
Sounds like a nice rig...
Never had either product.
That'll be great for throwing small sluggos and weightless rubber worms as well as little cranks.

Haven't thought about those Gapen jigs in a looooooooooong time.
IIRC the lead head was boat shaped to provide lift on the retrieve.

Suzuki should look into the Charlie Brewer Slider line of baits... caught lots of Yankee bass on them (as well as SMB, crappie and perch).

Good luck with the set up and be good to gramps :D

Yes, the Gapen bug has a kind of shovel shaped jighead that allowed the bait to rest face first on the bottom and lift the rear of the bait up, kind of like a crawfish. I will try and dig some out, I think I still have them, bought them from Dan Gapen at a sportsmans show years back. Also got a signed copy of his book on crappies.

love the Slider stuff, especially the 4" worm. Great for the drop shot.

Back