Spidercast & daiwa rod and reel combo

Light action rods fill a niche just like med, heav... Guido hibdon has won a a lot of money with wimpy rods. I wont use them if I can getaway with heavier stuff.

I also like fishing heavier stuff because it gives peace of mind, but i like lighter tackle because it takes more finess and skill, and a small fish feels HUGE. If i were beginning fishing i would probably run a medium with #12 line, but actually the more i fish the more i like lighter line. Easier to tie, fish aren't as finicky like trout and such, it casts farther. there's a huge casting difference between #10 and #12 fishing line and you really notice it out on the water casting wise.

I also like fishing heavier stuff because it gives peace of mind, but i like lighter tackle because it takes more finess and skill, and a small fish feels HUGE. If i were beginning fishing i would probably run a medium with #12 line, but actually the more i fish the more i like lighter line. Easier to tie, fish aren't as finicky like trout and such, it casts farther. there's a huge casting difference between #10 and #12 fishing line and you really notice it out on the water casting wise.

not true in most cases.. all you do is adjust your drag, that doesnt really show true skill to do this.. true skill is catching fish even when others cannot. ;)

My grandfather bought me a rod and reel combo from a local tackle shop. it's a Spidercast Tarantula STSP2200. It has 8 ball bearings and will be spooled up with the spiderwire supermono xxx that he bought with it (same diameter as 6 lb test which is recommended for the reel). The rod is a 7' ML graphite megaforce by daiwa. it seems very nice, but i know nothing about these two products. It will be used for largemouth bass, trout and probably hook into a pickerel unintentionally. Do you think i have a good setup? It's smooth!

Reasonable size fish can be landed with medium light tackle. I caught this pike on a 7ft ML Shimano Technium rod, casting weight 5-20grms. I used a 1/4oz Sammy for the lure.

P10100451.jpg

Yorkshire boy, Im starting a new thread. you ought to post that pic on there.

you will thank me later if you boost it up to a atleast a medium.. you got lucky.. we use MH's down here.. lots of backbone for a good hookset and control.. ML are just to pansy for them down here. it can be done, i have done it myself but in reality when you are catching hawgs, ML's are a no no.. really mediums are a no no as well. but with the weightless worms and lizards i toss i have to use a medium..

btw your line is fine, whatever you have good luck with, stick to it

I usually use mediums. But i had what i had in the garage at the time and don't have money for new gear so i make do with what i have lol. It's pretty fun actually.

I usually use mediums. But i had what i had in the garage at the time and don't have money for new gear so i make do with what i have lol. It's pretty fun actually.

i understand totally.. if you are going to buy a rod for bass only, get stiffer than ML was my point.. ml's are great for trout and other fish where you use lighter tackle.. if you want bigger bass, you need bigger and heavier lures and you will need the backbone to set the hook as well. ML's just do not have that kind of backbone for large bass

Last edited:
Well, i mainly walked around and tried fiddling with my reel... read my new thread. Next time i go out i'll take pics, which may be tomorrow.

Back