Spyderco's Hawkbill blades? What would you change?

With the rising popularity of LC200N blade steel which is another nitrogen based steel with similarities to H-1. Maybe Spyderco ought to look at revamping one of their older, mainline Hawkbills with LC200N.

I've had a feeling in my gut for some time that XHP might just be a great steel for Spyderedged blades. I believe at this point to make a couple of Hawkbill models in these newer/better blade steels would generate curiosity as well as making these Hawkbills much more attractive for people who buy many of their blades based on what type of blade steel they have.

And AGAIN Brother PEACENT makes a great case of "Try it!! You'll Like It!!. But he's not fooling because once you actually use one of these great Hawkbill models and discover how good they are as useful companion blades you won't turn back I can assure you ;) Because for the obscure cutting jobs that a conventional, plain edged blade won't handle I can assure you that most of the time a serrated Hawkbill will come to the rescue.

A sprint of g-10 Harpy's with ambi mount clip would be THE one for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sprint of g-10 Harpy's with ambi mount clip would be THE one for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well on the other Spyderco forum Sal himself recently talked sort of favorably about it. Last summer there was even a thread here on BF about the G-10 Harpy and it's possible return and at that time I believe it was someone from Spyderco who said it could be done.

I can't see what would halt the idea of at least a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy which was originally made back in the ATS-55 era. With the newer type of G-10 like the stuff we saw on the Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob model I think everyone would like it so much that it would ultimately end up back in the main line up. I like the stainless handled Harpy that they have in the main line up now>> but I would like a G-10 model about 3 times as much>> and I don't believe I'm alone on that one either.

I'm also thinking that LC200N blade steel would be a great one to use on a G-10 Harpy. Or even one of those other Japanese blade steels that they recently spoke of>> I would even like a G-10 Harpy with HAP 40 as long as they offer it in PE & SE both.

Change little, if anything...:D

20170330_185516_zpsgugsdadn.jpg

Up the blade length from 3.625 to 4.625. :D

If Spyderco could hook up with prominent lawn & garden catalogs like "A. M. Leonard" or any other well known lawn & garden or landscaping vendor I truly believe that they just would have a hard time keeping all of their Hawkbill models in stock. It just makes perfect sense that the longer bladed Hawkbills like the Spyderhawk model would be ideal for such jobs. Oh the smaller Hawkbills would work good too on many jobs in that sector but if I were in those trades I would want both an SE & PE Spyderhawk models as primary tools of the trade.

There are truly cases to be made for all the sizes of Hawkbill blades and it's high time they also consider doing some fixed blade Hawkbills as well.

Those are two NICE hawkbills? Harpy? And.....?

As nice as they are (best hawkbills in the market today IMO) these are the Tasman Salt (Small one) and the discontinued Spyderhawk Salt (Big boy)

20170608_095324_zpsrztzqcyj.jpg

Hard to beat the ergonomics, weight-to-edge length and cutting power of the Spyderhawk in any production folder

20170608_135640_zps7yybj1jk.jpg

with the factory edge they'll cut you just by looking at them

20170314_194100_zpsnk9ziyjq.jpg

Peacent my Brother you always come to the rescue of my Hawkbill threads :D But your input is always a welcome breath of fresh air :cool: Well so far we have Brethren who want a Sprint Run of the SUPERHAWK ( preferrably in Spyderedge), A new G-10 Harpy and a jazzed up, revamped SPYDERHAWK :cool:. Well Peacent they say a picture is worth a thousand words but your Hawkbill pictures are worth at least 100,000 words :thumbsup:

I'm not going to pick a favorite out of the three that the Brothers have said they want either for Sprint Runs or back in the main line up because I personally want all three of them to return :cool: A SUPERHAWK IN SE, A new G-10 Harpy and a completely re-born SPYDERHAWK!! Life just doesn't get any better now does it :D??????!!!!!!!

I LIKE that Spyderhawk. Too bad it has been discontinued....

And the Tasman... but especially the Spyderhawk.

I LIKE that Spyderhawk. Too bad it has been discontinued....

And the Tasman... but especially the Spyderhawk.

Well it's threads like this one and the great responses were getting that might just propel Spyderco to bring it back and hopefully to the main line up>> but I would even welcome a Sprint Run>> albeit I do believe if they would bring back the Spyderhawk with the PE version in LC200N and the Spyderedged version in H-1 it would truy be a "WIN-WIN" situation for all of us.

I would also like to see the HARPY taken to a higher level offered in G-10, Carbon Fiber or even Titanium for that matter. The Hawkbills have garnered so much popularity among users that I believe sales would really pick up this go-around.

I'd like to see something catering to landscape guys/gals. Maybe orange instead of yellow, liners, slimmer profile when closed, etc.
I don't go anywhere near the water, and if I did I don't live anywhere near the ocean. I've never had any rusting issues with any knife.

29814392945_da737813b0_b.jpg

30433415595_4bb67b63b1_b.jpg

27567577862_a7e9573976_z.jpg

I will say that I like that they've recently updated the clip and handle shape. Those are definitely improvements. The square clip is/was.....not my favorite.

I put it to work today in the garden, trimming cutting and chain-sawing everything that needed to be cut.
Even though had a utility blade with me this was much more fun! :thumbsup:

20170612_122308_zps99wqfths.jpg

I really wish the Spyderhawk would return and many more people could feel its cutting power, and be witness of the excellent design and capabilities behind this beast!!

Well PEACENT let's take a look at this thread collectively. Because we have had a lot of interesting replies including yours. You just stated that you wish others would find out what capabilities the Spyderhawk has and I too feel that "Using Is Believing". Because most people tend to judge a book by it's cover and with the intimidating looks of the Spyderhawk most people would automatically think that it's knife for Martial Arts guys.

But people need to realize that Hawkbill blades have been used in respectable trades for many years. Take linoleum layers and carpet layers for instance>> those two trades have been using some type of a Hawkbill for decades and little is said about it. But on the other hand few people even know that those knives even exist much less have they ever used them.

I ordered a Tasman (serrated) after reading through this, and it came in this week. I've only had occasion to use it a couple times so far, but its cutting power is impressive. I would definitely buy into a larger one like the Spyderhawk!

Reading through this thread, and considering the question of changes, I would echo several, and contribute a couple.

Many posts request G10 with liners. I would agree. The FRN of my Tasman makes it disappear in a pocket, weight wise, though. I like that. Maybe a hawk bill with G10 and liner only on one side would be an option. That would be like one of my favorite Spyderco designs, the Military.

Several requests for other steels. I'm not familiar with most of what was mentioned. I have several VG10 blades, though. They have been QUITE impressive in edge holding and toughness. I know they're not supposed to be, and I wouldn't put it in the realm of super steel. But very VERY good. The most impressive steels I've used are M390, CTS-204P, Elmax, and S35VN, in that order of edge holding. But in order of preference for edc use, it would probably go S35VN, M390, Elmax, and -204P. Everything needs sharpening eventually, and 35VN seems to strike a perfect balance between edge holding and sharpening ease. Any hawkbill I found in S35VN I'd probably snap up in a heartbeat, assuming the cost isn't completely out of my reach. And I can stretch pretty far.

Another suggestion I'd make will be sacrilege to Spyderco fans, but I'm going to say it anyway. Abbreviate the Spyder-hole to simply a trademark hole, and add the wave like they have on their waved folders. About the ONLY thing I don't like on my Tasman is, even though it disappears in my pocket, weight-wise, the blade is so broad, mostly because of the hole, that it takes up too much room, even in the pockets of my bdu's. I believe a smaller hole would facilitate a narrower blade while maintaining the curve, strength, and with the wave, ease of opening. I have other blades (brands) with versions of the wave (licensed) that are as easy as, or easier, to open with the wave than whatever thumb device they have. And I'm speaking using the wave AS the thumb-opening device. Not waving them open from the pocket.

Anyway, just a few things for consideration.

Reading through this thread, and considering the question of changes, I would echo several, and contribute a couple.

Many posts request G10 with liners. I would agree. The FRN of my Tasman makes it disappear in a pocket, weight wise, though. I like that. Maybe a hawk bill with G10 and liner only on one side would be an option. That would be like one of my favorite Spyderco designs, the Military.

Several requests for other steels. I'm not familiar with most of what was mentioned. I have several VG10 blades, though. They have been QUITE impressive in edge holding and toughness. I know they're not supposed to be, and I wouldn't put it in the realm of super steel. But very VERY good. The most impressive steels I've used are M390, CTS-204P, Elmax, and S35VN, in that order of edge holding. But in order of preference for edc use, it would probably go S35VN, M390, Elmax, and -204P. Everything needs sharpening eventually, and 35VN seems to strike a perfect balance between edge holding and sharpening ease. Any hawkbill I found in S35VN I'd probably snap up in a heartbeat, assuming the cost isn't completely out of my reach. And I can stretch pretty far.

Another suggestion I'd make will be sacrilege to Spyderco fans, but I'm going to say it anyway. Abbreviate the Spyder-hole to simply a trademark hole, and add the wave like they have on their waved folders. About the ONLY thing I don't like on my Tasman is, even though it disappears in my pocket, weight-wise, the blade is so broad, mostly because of the hole, that it takes up too much room, even in the pockets of my bdu's. I believe a smaller hole would facilitate a narrower blade while maintaining the curve, strength, and with the wave, ease of opening. I have other blades (brands) with versions of the wave (licensed) that are as easy as, or easier, to open with the wave than whatever thumb device they have. And I'm speaking using the wave AS the thumb-opening device. Not waving them open from the pocket.

Anyway, just a few things for consideration.

Yeah, as sacrilegious as it may sound I'm with you on the last one. One of the very few things I have to criticize those awesome Hawks is their width when folded.
That curve comes at a price with the addition of the Spydiehole...

otI7FOc.jpg

if the Tasman is wide, imagine the Spyderhawk. That beast barely fits my cargo pants' pockets

sVbjORb.jpg

Yeah, I can imagine the Spyderhawk is magnificently wide. :D

It's kind of ironic that the Spyderhawk is now being appreciated for the great design it was. I think that gardening and landscaping are two of many uses that they are finding the Hawkbills to be useful for. But it wasn't until they reintroduced The Spyderhawk to the H-1 Salt Series that people even started taking it seriously. Because it was literally a flop during it's VG-10 run back in 2003. Most people thought it to be a martial arts, fantasy type knife when in reality it wasn't ever intended to be that type of a knife at all. I truly believe that Spyderco has projected, practical, utility uses for everything that they make and I don't believe The Spyderhawk is any exception either.

Now you all do raise a point with the different blade steels and how they could improve the overall performance of a Hawkbill blade. I'm very anxious to see how LC200N will perform in a Hawkbill type blade. It's definitely better for plain edges and I believe the jury had turned in a verdict on that already. H-1 is probably an excellent steel for Spyderedged Hawkbills so there might not be any need for a change there at all.

A Superhawk SE in LC200N would be sweet! If I remember correctly, the Superhawk and the Superleaf shared the same handle, no? I have a couple of Superleafs and that handle is probably my favorite folder handle of all time.

Back